Thread: London Gang War

GRAEME
    I saw this once on BBC1 about 1983.

I think it was Italian but dubbed and possibly set in "London".

Two rival gangs are at it hammer and tongs. The gangs include quite straight middle class middle-aged folk as well as more stereotypical street toughs.

They are eventually brought to peace by their girlfriends getting together and instituting a sex-ban until they all come to their senses. Thus it suggests a partial basis in Aristophanes' Lysistrata.

I remember one moment when a black gangster is told by his girl - "No more honey for you!" And he thinks about and drops his weapon and runs after her.

Or did I dream it?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Lysistrata (Attic Greek: Λυσιστ?άτη, "Army-disbander") is one of the few surviving plays written by Aristophanes. Originally performed in classical Athens in 411 BC, it is a comic account of one woman's extraordinary mission to end The Peloponnesian War. Lysistrata convinces the women of Greece to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace, a strategy however that inflames the battle between the sexes.

1968: Feminist director Mai Zetterling made a radical film Flickorna (released in English as The Girls), starring three reigning Swedish film actresses: Bibi Andersson, Harriet Andersson and Gunnel Lindblom, who were depicted playing roles in Lysistrata.

Wikipedia

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times

GRAEME
    name='wadey' timestamp='1288040775' post='486119']

hope this helps

Since it bears no relation to a gang war film set on the streets of London - then, er, no it doesn't really.

I know Lysistrata very well - having both read it and seen it performed on stage.

The film I'm looking for is a modern (late 60s/70s) very loose reworking, if that. It may only contain the love ban. The main cast were the men.

Thanks for your interest, however.

Senior Member Country: Scotland bruiser15's Avatar
    Liked
    50 times
    Long shot Graeme but might it be this, so long since I saw it but going by just the Italian made, UK setting [Liverpool not London] and Gang War it was worth a heads up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060977/

The Battle of the Mods aka Crazy Baby.

GRAEME
    name='bruiser15' timestamp='1288077661' post='486188']

Long shot Graeme but might it be this, so long since I saw it but going by just the Italian made, UK setting [Liverpool not London] and Gang War it was worth a heads up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060977/

The Battle of the Mods aka Crazy Baby.

That looks like a very strange film but it's not the one.

The one I'm after was set entirely on a studio mock up of a few Londonish back streets - most of the action took place out side.

The lead was a middle aged Italian looking chap I took for a Marcello Mastroianni - but probably wasn't.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have no idea, but if it wasn't MM it might have been another leading man Italian actor recognizable to Western audiences. Not a whole lot of those so maybe if you went through the filmography of the three or four possibilities, you might find it. Rossano Brassi? Raf Vallone?

GRAEME
    name='will.15' timestamp='1288087620' post='486240']

I have no idea, but if it wasn't MM it might have been another leading man Italian actor recognizable to Western audiences. Not a whole lot of those so maybe if you went through the filmography of the three or four possibilities, you might find it. Rossano Brassi? Raf Vallone?

Neither of those dudes...

Liked
    0 times
    Vittorio Gassman?

GRAEME
    I think I've found it...

Almost certainly Leo the Last (1970) by "quality" film director John Boorman! It is Marcello Mastroianni but what I took for a fake set is actually shot in London. Only Boorman could make a real location look like a bad set...

Can anyone who has seen this confirm that the bit where the girls threaten a sex ban actually takes place to end the violence?

Cheers

Graeme

Liked
    0 times
    I saw that a million years ago and all i remember it sucked, probably didn't watch it all the way through.

fr/cannes/1960-1977/video/I00004179/autour-du-film-leo-the-last.fr.html

Liked
    50 times
    I can't remember, but here are some screen shots to help you mull it over

Porkpie as a vicar

A friend is going to send me a copy of an avi he has of it so give me a couple of days and I will tell you, assuming no one has solved it before then.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    None of the summaries I've read mention a sex-ban - it sounds as if he puts his daughter on the game

Liked
    50 times
    There is a stand off towards the latter part of the film involving Marcello Mastroianni and the rest of the people in the street vs The Elite hangers on like Graham Crowden & Billie Whitelaw & a pimp and his crew.

One girl breaks off to shout something along the lines of "you wont see this honey-pot again" and one guy walks away from the house saying "I do like my honey"

So I would say it's definately the right film, some of it is very clever but it drifts easily into pretentiousness.

GRAEME
    Thanks Bruiser! That's exactly it!

I was probably overplaying the importance of that bit in my mind because it chimed with Lysistrata.

No real wish to see it again - but at least I know now I didn't dream it!