Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Logically these exteriors from The Avengers videotaped episode Esprit De Corps were done at the series then production facility at Teddington Studios. However, since the sixties quite a lot of alterations and building work has taken place and I have been unable to confirm any of the surrounding buildings from aerial shots of the studios. Can anyone identify the location as being Teddington or not?

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    The second picture appears to be a pretty good match to this part of Teddington Studio.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I've had a good look round in the past and can't find much that matches the current buildings. Given that they used used electronic cameras to shoot this rather than filmed inserts this should limit the options as the cables had to run back into the studio.

The action must have been filmed quite close to the area identified by Alan.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Anthony McKay' timestamp='1287908152' post='485554']

I've had a good look round in the past and can't find much that matches the current buildings. Given that they used used electronic cameras to shoot this rather than filmed inserts this should limit the options as the cables had to run back into the studio.

The action must have been filmed quite close to the area identified by Alan.

Alan

Well spotted!

Yes the sequence where Steed is accompanied by the soldiers was shot at the front of Studio 1, on part of the lot which is basically unchanged from the early sixties.

Tony

Having looked at the camera script for Esprit De Corps, it shows that you are correct in saying that the exterior inserts for this were done on tape. The production of Espirit De Corps was based in the two smaller studios (Studios 2 and 3) there was at Teddington at the time. Having seen a photograph from the sixties of an ABC Television camera on the dock behind the studio, beside the Thames, it appears that using the cameras on the lot was not a problem. However, the only aerial shots I can find of the studio are recent ones and I am unable to find anything that matches up to the buildings seen in the episode. If anyone out there can post an aerial shot of the studios when it was run by ABC or Thames, then we might be able to prove beyond any doubt that this was the location.