Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been identifying and visiting locations for this film. Some done and some I need help with.

Chalfont: Exterior shots were at Leeds Castle. Interiors were at Pinewood.
    Maidenhead: Cruickshanks Hotel is the Guards Club in Maidenhead. The bridge and river nearby are also featured.
    Village: Harrietsham in kent is used for the sequence of Louis cycling past. This is the Alms Houses on Rectory Road there.
    Pub: The Cock Inn at Boughton Monchelsea was used. Guinness and Price had their lunch their too by the way.

STILL TO FIND

Church: No idea where the church is but it isnt at Harrietsham, Boughton Monchelsea, Leeds, Oxted!
    Balaclava Terrace: This I think will be nearby Ealing or Pinewood.
    Henry D'Ascoyne's House: Huge tudor style building with sweeping lawn. No idea where this is.

Can anyone out there help at all?

chris

Liked
    0 times
    In the film this is the home of Henry D'Ascoyne. Other locations for the film I have spotted are all in Kent and Berkshire.These are the best four stills I can get for you to look at. Anyone recognise it? Something wrong with the picture adding system here as they display perfectly on preview but not otherwise. They are in my album though.
    Attached Images

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    In picture four those two stone gate post columns look like props to me, they look so clean and unweathered....and made of plaster...just a thought.

Liked
    0 times
    I see what you mean. It could be they are but you can see the house in background. It doesnt disprove your theory and thanks for the idea.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    I watched KHAC last night again. Has anyone suggested which country house it is?

Senior Member Country: UK SainT's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, I haven't seen this film.

Anyway, I found these YouTube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGOy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKmVFpUB4UE&feature=related

According to the church scene clips, the church is definitely the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Village Road, Denham Village, Buckinghamshire, UB9 5BH.

You can compare the church scene clips with the 1st and the 2nd picture from this website:
    nb Ten Bob Note

On the first clip (0:00 - 0:09) the scene including the church was filmed in Denham Village. But there are some changes now...
    1. The small cottage on the right (where is the corner of Village Road leading to the church) was demolished (probably in the 1960s). I checked this on some old maps. On 1932-1938 map there is this small cottage. There is still also on 1960 map, but on 1970 map this small cottage is gone.
    2. On the other hand, the cottage on the left is still there (called the Cedar Cottage), but it is altered. Now, there is an extension on the right side of the cottage.

Here is a Google Maps Street View link:
    The church scenes from Kind Hearts and Coronets = Denham Village

Best regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by SainT; 19-11-10 at 10:27 AM.

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    73 Balaclava Avenue SW��

�� is 42 Woodhurst Road W3

Liked
    0 times
    Yes thank you oh so much. this is the right church! How on earth may I ask did you manage to work it out? is denham a place on your radar? I know it was used for the Miss Marple films?

Quote Originally Posted by SainT View Post
    Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, I haven't seen this film.

Anyway, I found these YouTube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGOyS89gjw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKmVFpUB4UE&feature=related

According to the church scene clips, the church is definitely the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Village Road, Denham Village, Buckinghamshire, UB9 5BH.

You can compare the church scene clips with the 1st and the 2nd picture from this website:
    nb Ten Bob Note

On the first clip (0:00 - 0:09) the scene including the church was filmed in Denham Village. But there are some changes now...
    1. The small cottage on the right (where is the corner of Village Road leading to the church) was demolished (probably in the 1960s). I checked this on some old maps. On 1932-1938 map there is this small cottage. There is still also on 1960 map, but on 1970 map this small cottage is gone.
    2. On the other hand, the cottage on the left is still there (called the Cedar Cottage), but it is altered. Now, there is an extension on the right side of the cottage.

Here is a Google Maps Street View link:
    The church scenes from Kind Hearts and Coronets = Denham Village

Best regards,
    Greg

Liked
    0 times
    Alan, I am in total shock and awe. How on earth did you manage to track down the right road???? Please please do tell so I can figure out how to do these things myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
    73 Balaclava Avenue SW……

…… is 42 Woodhurst Road W3

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I was very impressed by the identification of 42 Woodhurst Road, W3 as the location of Dennis Price's home and wonder if anybody can identify Joan Greenwood's, shown below, which Price moves into following his mother's death?
    Attached Images

Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I am in process of filming all the locations for Kind hearts as they are today. You guys on here have been wonderful in helping track down the church and Louis's first home in London. My suspicion is there is kind of an in joke in the film and I guess that Sibella's house is in the same road or very close. Incidentally following the identification of Denham for the church I noticed on a map that nearby Denham is Chalfont - which gave the name to the ancestral home of the D'Ascoynes.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
    I was very impressed by the identification of 42 Woodhurst Road, W3 as the location of Dennis Price's home and wonder if anybody can identify Joan Greenwood's, shown below, which Price moves into following his mother's death?

Liked
    0 times
    I reckon Sibella's address is, or rather was, 31 Grange Road Ealing W5. The property was pulled down I guess in the '60's to make way for the flats that now occupy the site immediately to the west of Balmain Close.

A detailed old map of the area indicates that such a house, numbered 31 and showing a driveway at the front, used to occupy this site. The style of the house, its south facing aspect and proximity to Ealing Studios all seem to point to this location........

Liked
    0 times
    I think Tony31 is right: the number of the house and the proximity to the studios, along with his description of the house on the map, all convince me. And there's this remnant of wall with a capital that looks just like the entrance in the film:

roroldam
    (the Cine-Tourist - home)

Quote Originally Posted by tony31 View Post
    I reckon Sibella's address is, or rather was, 31 Grange Road Ealing W5. The property was pulled down I guess in the '60's to make way for the flats that now occupy the site immediately to the west of Balmain Close.

A detailed old map of the area indicates that such a house, numbered 31 and showing a driveway at the front, used to occupy this site. The style of the house, its south facing aspect and proximity to Ealing Studios all seem to point to this location........

Liked
    0 times
    Dear all

I have now been to all the Kind Hearts locations - apart from Henry D'Ascoynes superb large black and white country house. This is driving me mad so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can anyone out there identify it at all????

Liked
    11 times
    You can see the o/s map of 31 Grange Rd at Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps - maps page if you look at the 1:2500 for 1914/15. Incidentally one of the houses that must have been adjacent or very close to 31 is still standing, surrounded by a sea of flats.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Looking at that country house in Kind Hearts and Coronets circa 1949 and "Greensleeves" which Anthony McKay spotted as being the location of the house in "Paranoiac" Im struck by the similarity, the facade is not an exact match but the position of the chimney stacks are, is it too wild a suggestion to say that it might be Greensleeves with the chimney stacks lowered and some slight alterations to the facade over the years? I've lifted Anthony's illustraion from the "Paranoiac" location thread for comparison.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by christoph404; 17-01-12 at 08:54 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I'd wondered the same thing, but it isn't the same house. Sir Henry's is a genuine Tudor house, to which Georgian sash windows and other features have been added over the years, whereas "Greensleeves" was built in the early 1900s to look like a genuine Tudor house that hadn't had those later modifications (so it always had exposed timber-framing throughout, rather than just on the porch, for example). The footprints of the two don't match either - the wing on the right at "Greensleeves" projects quite a bit further foward than the equivalent at Sir Henry's.

Liked
    11 times
    I've just received this from the Ealing Local History Library:

"I think you are correct, having seen a picture of a house in Grange Road, c.1895. You are welcome to view this at the library if wished. I cannot be exactly certain because the street was renumbered - no. 31 is only listed from 1935. Gunnersbury Park appeared in Lavender Hill Mob and Pitzhanger Manor in Dead of Night".
    Last edited by tavistock; 19-01-12 at 03:53 PM. Reason: minor edit

Liked
    11 times
    I asked for a scan but...

You are welcome to have a scanned copy. We charge �5 per scan.

Payment must be by cheque and made payable to 'The London Borough of
    Ealing' and sent to:

Ealing Local History Centre
    Ealing Central Library
    103 Ealing Broadway Centre
    London W5 5JY

Yours sincerely
    Dr Oates
    Archivist

Liked
    0 times
    Hello everone. Still trying to find the marvelous country home of Henry D'Ascoyne in Kind Hearts and Coronets. This will likely be in Kent or Bucks and I hope someone out there knows it. Is is the only location in the film I havent found or been informed of. This is a magnificent looking building - maybe a coutry house, hotel or golf club???

thanks

chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast