Thread: Scrooge (1935)

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    It's actually a genuine tearjerker....superb performances from Hicks and Calthrop, and good direction from former silent heartthrob Henry Edwards really transcend the film's nil-budget Julius Hagen/Twickenham Studios origins.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, Happy Christmas. I see that as usual there is a version of "Scrooge" being shown on TV. Its the 1951 one, with Alistaire Sim playing the leading role. This appears to be the most popular version but I have a preference for the much earlier 1935 Twickenham films production with Sir Seymour Hicks playing the leading role. To my mind it has more of a Dickens atmospere with the characters and settings appearing very similar to those of the illustations in the book. I first read an illustrated version of the book at the age of 10 and believe the pictures were re prints from the originals by "Boz".? Another reason for my fondness for this particular version may be because it was one of the first 9.5mm sound feature films I purchased. It was common practice for Pathescope to edit their releases to keep the prices down. I am aware of what was cut as I recorded it from TV onto VHS some years ago. There is a third version "A Chrismas Carol" by MGM 1938 with Reginald Owen as Scrooge which is quite good. Any Comments?

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The only Hicks one I saw was a shortened version with a bad print, so I couldn't get into it. I like the Sims version best because of all the versions I've seen it does the best to explain how Scrogge became such a misanthrope and Sims' comedic ability makes the transformation scene sparkle in a way no other actor in that role has been able to.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I've not seen the Hicks version - I would like to - but have the Reginald Owen one. It's a typically glossy MGM production, but romps through the story and the casting is a bit off in places (Gene Lockhart as Bob Crachit??). Lionel Barrymore was originally down to play Scrooge - his Scrooge was a annual radio event in those days - but his illness prevented this.

I have to prefer the 1951 version (as long as it's in black and white!). I think Alastair Sim also voiced Scrooge in a much later animated version (by Richard Williams I believe) which used to be on TV a lot, but I haven't seen it for some years.

Senior Member Country: UK HammerDave's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I quite like the 1935 Seymour Hicks version, though it does have a number of limitations: Hicks doesn't sell the transformation nearly as well as Sim does, and most of the ghosts are poorly executed. The exception is Christmas Future, whihc is all done using shadows on a screen, very creepy. It's a darn sight better than the woeful Hollywood version from 1938 with Reginald Owen, who seems to have escaped from panto, and where the supposedly destitute Bob Cratchit (Gene Lockart) is the fattest character in the film.

Liked
    137 times
    Sir Seymour is excellent as Scrooge, well worth catching