Thread: Monsters..

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I don�t know if any of you have watched Monsters yet? I got a chance to see it the other night and was looking forward to it. The trailers had me hooked, especially the one with the plain rising out of the water. Unfortunately the rest of the film proved disappointing, utterly boring. I can appreciate they were working with very little money.. I don�t understand why it�s getting such good reviews?

Liked
    151 times
    No idea either. It was built up as a sci-fi film but really it's a romance using a hint of District 9. Boring ain't the word.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a curious film, anyone expecting a slam-bam action movie will be dissapointed.

It's a romantic road movie, that just happens to be set against the backdrop of alien invasion (well, not really an invasion as such). It's like 2 separate films have been fused together but never really gel.

I enjoyed it, it was interesting, but it's not entirely successful.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Skyline looks good.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    Skyline looks good.
    Correction: The Trailer for Skyline looks good if you discount the very high possibility that someone threw the scripts for Transformers, Independence Day and Cloverfield into a blender and played jigsaw with the results.

Can you say Cynical children?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    OK, let me re-phrase that. From watching the trailer to Skyline and also seeing some clips, I think the film itself looks good, especially as I like the Transformers films.

I don't understand the "Cynical children" remark.
    Last edited by batman; 07-11-10 at 02:45 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Saw it on Sunday night with about 8 others. It's a real slow-burner of a film and I have to say my intial reaction was negative as you never really feel any sense of threat or danger from the atmosphere. The script and dialogue often make no sense at all and the lead actor sometimes comes acoss as a bit of an idiot. However, you can admire the technical achievement. It was shot on a miniscule budget (I believe around 15k) with a 5 grand digital camera all of the actors apart from the leads were just locals roped in to help. The visual FX are pretty good too thanks to funding for the post production from the soon to be defunct UK Film Council

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post

I don't understand the "Cynical children" remark.
    He is chiding himself for being cynical. It needs inverted commas for clarity perhaps: "Can you say "cynical", children?".
    Unless the trailer mentions cynical children, and Gogglebox thinks children can't be described as cynical. But I think my first interpretation is right.

And Batman - why did they dump the Edge's excellent theme tune on your newish cartoon series? We loved it.