Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It is a great film and is quite accurate as to the facts. It isn't made clear in the film but the agents were given their training by SOE in Britain. It was thought by the authorities and by the agents to be a suicide mission with little chance of the agents getting out alive. But it was felt to be worth it if they got Heydrich. It was also suspected that there would be heavy reprisals - although nobody suspected that they would completely destroy a village like Lidice (Liditz) and everybody in it.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    It's long been a favorite of mine and a film I can watch again and again. Also one of the few period films with a synthisizer soundtrack that actually works. Generally I like WWII films to have suitably WWII sounding music, but the Operation Daybreak score is excellent and adds a tension to the already exciting story.

There is a memorial to the Czech resistance including the men portrayed in the movie in Leamington Spa if anyone lives near there and fancies a trip

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Interesting info about Leamington Spa. Definitely take a look if i'm up that way.

Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    It was good film, except the German parts, which I didn't understand what they were saying and the ending, as I thought they found a way out of the church by digging for the so called hidden catacombs. Are they planning on releasing this on blu-ray with English subtitles for the German speaking parts?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Froyd View Post
    It was good film, except the German parts, which I didn't understand what they were saying and the ending, as I thought they found a way out of the church by digging for the so called hidden catacombs. Are they planning on releasing this on blu-ray with English subtitles for the German speaking parts?
    You might find this thread helpful - http://filmdope.com/forums/as...subtitles.html

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    What is an otherwise excellent film and most under rated,my only gripe is with George Sewell. Don't get me wrong,I like George Sewell and he was superb as Chief Investigator Heinz Panwitz,but he also played Adolf Hitler in the film and when Heydrich meets Hitler when he gets of the train in Berlin,George Sewell's smile sticks out. Again,just a minor gripe. A film that is very rarely shown on television.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmike View Post
    You might find this thread helpful - http://filmdope.com/forums/as...subtitles.html
    I found that thread already, but thanks anyway. Any idea if they're going to release this on blu-ray with the subtitles?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This might be slighly off topic but posters might be interested to know that a film is being released on August 12th called "Anthropoid". That was the real code name of theOperation Daybreak story and whilst it's a US film as fare as I know it is a new version of the Daybreak story so might be of interest to many of you. Mike

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    When I was in Prague in I think 2003 there was a 60th anniversary exhibition on the assassination,including the gun and the briefcase it was carried in.There is I recall a permanent memorial outside the church where they were killed.
    I have seen the memorial in the park in Leamington to the agents.
    I do not recall anysubsequent attempted assassination of other high ranking Nazi officials during the rest of the war.Maybe the high cost of lives in terms of the civilian populace made the idea rather offputting.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    When I was in Prague in I think 2003 there was a 60th anniversary exhibition on the assassination,including the gun and the briefcase it was carried in.There is I recall a permanent memorial outside the church where they were killed.
    I have seen the memorial in the park in Leamington to the agents.
    I do not recall anysubsequent attempted assassination of other high ranking Nazi officials during the rest of the war.Maybe the high cost of lives in terms of the civilian populace made the idea rather offputting.
    There was an attempt to assassinate Hitler in July 1944, but that was by his own countrymen who then paid a very heavy price.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    There was an attempt to assassinate Hitler in July 1944, but that was by his own countrymen who then paid a very heavy price.
    The events of that attempted assassination, and its depiction which features in mainstream cinema, detailed here

https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...ert-fox-rommel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12