Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    It is a great film and is quite accurate as to the facts. It isn't made clear in the film but the agents were given their training by SOE in Britain. It was thought by the authorities and by the agents to be a suicide mission with little chance of the agents getting out alive. But it was felt to be worth it if they got Heydrich. It was also suspected that there would be heavy reprisals - although nobody suspected that they would completely destroy a village like Lidice (Liditz) and everybody in it.

    Steve

  2. #22
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    1 times
    It's long been a favorite of mine and a film I can watch again and again. Also one of the few period films with a synthisizer soundtrack that actually works. Generally I like WWII films to have suitably WWII sounding music, but the Operation Daybreak score is excellent and adds a tension to the already exciting story.

    There is a memorial to the Czech resistance including the men portrayed in the movie in Leamington Spa if anyone lives near there and fancies a trip

  3. #23
    Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    916
    Liked
    14 times
    Interesting info about Leamington Spa. Definitely take a look if i'm up that way.

  4. #24
    Member Country: Canada
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times
    It was good film, except the German parts, which I didn't understand what they were saying and the ending, as I thought they found a way out of the church by digging for the so called hidden catacombs. Are they planning on releasing this on blu-ray with English subtitles for the German speaking parts?

  5. #25
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Froyd View Post
    It was good film, except the German parts, which I didn't understand what they were saying and the ending, as I thought they found a way out of the church by digging for the so called hidden catacombs. Are they planning on releasing this on blu-ray with English subtitles for the German speaking parts?
    You might find this thread helpful - http://filmdope.com/forums/as...subtitles.html

  6. #26
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,865
    Liked
    69 times
    What is an otherwise excellent film and most under rated,my only gripe is with George Sewell. Don't get me wrong,I like George Sewell and he was superb as Chief Investigator Heinz Panwitz,but he also played Adolf Hitler in the film and when Heydrich meets Hitler when he gets of the train in Berlin,George Sewell's smile sticks out. Again,just a minor gripe. A film that is very rarely shown on television.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

  7. #27
    Member Country: Canada
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmike View Post
    You might find this thread helpful - http://filmdope.com/forums/as...subtitles.html
    I found that thread already, but thanks anyway. Any idea if they're going to release this on blu-ray with the subtitles?

  8. #28
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    0 times
    This might be slighly off topic but posters might be interested to know that a film is being released on August 12th called "Anthropoid". That was the real code name of theOperation Daybreak story and whilst it's a US film as fare as I know it is a new version of the Daybreak story so might be of interest to many of you. Mike

  9. #29
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,636
    Liked
    7 times
    When I was in Prague in I think 2003 there was a 60th anniversary exhibition on the assassination,including the gun and the briefcase it was carried in.There is I recall a permanent memorial outside the church where they were killed.
    I have seen the memorial in the park in Leamington to the agents.
    I do not recall anysubsequent attempted assassination of other high ranking Nazi officials during the rest of the war.Maybe the high cost of lives in terms of the civilian populace made the idea rather offputting.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,901
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    When I was in Prague in I think 2003 there was a 60th anniversary exhibition on the assassination,including the gun and the briefcase it was carried in.There is I recall a permanent memorial outside the church where they were killed.
    I have seen the memorial in the park in Leamington to the agents.
    I do not recall anysubsequent attempted assassination of other high ranking Nazi officials during the rest of the war.Maybe the high cost of lives in terms of the civilian populace made the idea rather offputting.
    There was an attempt to assassinate Hitler in July 1944, but that was by his own countrymen who then paid a very heavy price.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,903
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    There was an attempt to assassinate Hitler in July 1944, but that was by his own countrymen who then paid a very heavy price.
    The events of that attempted assassination, and its depiction which features in mainstream cinema, detailed here

    https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...ert-fox-rommel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Operation daybreak
    By Marky B in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 22-12-15, 11:21 PM
  2. Daybreak
    By supamum in forum British Television
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 27-11-10, 05:43 PM
  3. Operation Julie
    By BobL in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-09-08, 02:53 AM
  4. Operation Daybreak *solved*
    By dannypne7 in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18-09-08, 12:42 PM
  5. Daybreak
    By Angry Hector in forum Your Favourite British Films
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-01-06, 09:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts