Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Hi.

I know there is a thread about this on latest DVDs (I vaguely remember talking about it so maybe I started another one in another life) but since I am watching it again and as it was a 70s t.v production I thought I would ask what people thought of it here? I love it of course, I have also just posted on the Kathleen Harrison thread as I have just watched the scene with Mrs Boffin in the haunted room again. Classic

All actors are great in it and Warren Clarke as the awful Mr Headstone gives me the shivers!

xx
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 09-11-10 at 12:19 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    I don't remember this, so must watch it. I greatly enjoyed the David Morrissey/Paul Scofield version, even Keeley Hawes impressed me. And that is saying something, believe me.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The 1976 version cuts out the society subplots - there's no Veneerings or Laemmles, which is a shame - but I thought Nicholas Jones much better casting (or perhaps he was better directed) than Paul McGann who seemed to be playing a conventional romantic lead, when his character is really a bit of a villain until he has a complete personality change at the end. There's a 1958 version (presumably lost) with Richard Pearson as Mr Boffin which you'd think he'd be 20 years too young for. The book makes much of the fact than Jenny Wren, the dolls dressmaker is only about 12 - so it's interesting that she's never played by a child.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I liked the 1976 version for many of the reasons given above - that said, I wouldn't want to lose the later version either as that is more 'filmic'.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windyridge View Post
    I don't remember this, so must watch it. I greatly enjoyed the David Morrissey/Paul Scofield version, even Keeley Hawes impressed me. And that is saying something, believe me.
    David Morrisey, yes, but not Paul Scofield. Are you getting confused with "Martin Chuzzlewit"?

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    David Morrisey, yes, but not Paul Scofield. Are you getting confused with "Martin Chuzzlewit"?
    Yes I am! I think it was David Bradley? .

Liked
    416 times
    I am just wondering why they don`t do Sunday tea time productions like this anymore? Cheaper than a full film in the recession surely? Or not? Bring `em back I say.

Watching this you realise just what a great creepy actor Ronald Lacey is.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    The reason DVDs exist is so we can watch them and then ask 'why don't they make them like this anymore?'.

I must find time one day to watch this one and the David Morrissey one back to back; used to do that a lot, have marathons of the same thing and its different versions. The record was seven Jane Eyres in, I think, 30 hours non-stop watching ...

Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    The reason DVDs exist is so we can watch them and then ask 'why don't they make them like this anymore?'.

I must find time one day to watch this one and the David Morrissey one back to back; used to do that a lot, have marathons of the same thing and its different versions. The record was seven Jane Eyres in, I think, 30 hours non-stop watching ...
    I won`t watch any other version of OMF now, I`ve tried but I can`t appriciate any other versions half as much.