Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Well, my DVD of What a Whopper arrived this morning from amazon uk and, as I suspected, it's the usual 4 x 3 version that the BBC were showing over thirty years ago. All the more odd, as on the back of the DVD cover, it states: "Digitally Restored and Remastered." But if that was true, it would surely be in 1.85:1 like the version I videoed off BBC2 in November, 1999. It looks like Renown got hold of a much earlier transfer here. As it is, there are luckily only a few scenes where the image looks a bit "tight" due to what's cropped off at the left and right of the image. Sound and picture are fine, with no evidence of any print damage that I can see and there's an interesting 16 page glossy booklet inside the DVD case containing a brief history of Butchers (What a Whopper was not a Butchers film, but released through the now long defunct Regal Films International), with the rest of the booklet being a list of other Renown releases.

THE VERDICT: It's okay if you are not fussy about not being able to see it in it's original wide screen aspect ratio as it should be seen and was meant to be seen.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 31-01-11 at 06:48 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    I was just grateful for it being released after all these years! Watched it Saturday afternoon and it still made me chortle. Cheers Renown! More please!

Liked
    98 times
    I loved the part where Fyffe Robertson was trying to film a report on the Loch Ness Monster and everyone in the crowd was trying to push him out of the way, so they could be on camera themselves. That sequence is worth putting up on YouTube if anyone knows how to do it. Also, Archie Duncan's mad turn: "I'm a MacDonald...yere no a Campbell, are ye? Shesh Nabundra!"

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Renown although bringing us some wonderful nostalgic movies sadly don�t seem to be interested in extras for some reason which is a shame. I offered them the film trailer for Tons of Trouble and also the digital video tour of Richard�s house we filmed in but no joy. If TOT ever become available for instance from them it would be oh so nice if they picked up the offer to complete and offered at no cost to them I hasten to add.

What wonderful movies they have made available to us!

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I've only ever seen this film once.

Forgive me if this is not "the done thing" but if anyone has the DVD would it be in order to screencap the "monster" at the end of the film?

I ask for two reasons...

1. To exorcise the horror of seeing it on our small black and white telly some decades ago, which prompted subsequent nightmares for some time (I was maybe about eight?)

2. To confirm or dismiss the idea I have clung to ever since that "Nessie's" grotesque face was modelled on Sid James!

I don't really want to have to fork out for the DVD just to be able to put this to rest!

Liked
    98 times
    How's this? No, I haven't lightened these frames, that's how the DVD transfer is as released by Renown...a bit too light. The transfer they used is decades old and was poorly done at the time. It needs re-doing now, but properly.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 16-02-11 at 05:31 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: A comical scene in What a Whopper occurs when BBC TV Tonight reporter Fyffe Robertson, surrounded by a crowd of onlookers, tries to film a report from the shores of Loch Ness on the latest sighting of the Loch Ness monster and is gradually jossled and pushed out of the way by the onlookers, who all want to be on television.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Wow! Many thanks for that dbf!

The monster's face isn't as wide as I remember it, funny how the memory alters the facts down the years! Thinking back, I seem to recall the monster itself rasping out the line "Cor! What a whopper!" right at the end of the film with a rather lascivious "Carry-On" type cackle, that's probably why Sid James always comes to my mind?

A further thought strikes me... at about the same age as I saw "What a Whopper!" I also watched (again, for the only time to date) a film called "The 7 Faces Of Dr Lau" which I do recall featured a monstrous, man-faced serpent in a carnival sideshow, which scared the Bejesus out of me at the time (although its face was not so much Sid James as James Mason)....

I'm probably getting the two memories muddled up as this image seems even now to be more "nightmarish" than Adam Faith's Nessie.

Thanks again though dbf!

Liked
    98 times
    The monster does say "What a Whopper!", Tonch, but it doesn't say "Cor!" I'm not sure if it laughs without running the film again, but I don't think it does. I can't comment on The 7 Faces of Dr Lao, because I've never seen it.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The 7 Faces of Dr Lao is great fun and features a good performance from Tony Randall. I've got it on disc somewhere will have to dig it out and have another viewing.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    The 7 Faces of Dr Lao.. Fab 1964 film and still got my MGM tape off air VHS recording which takes you back a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d89fCWqqxdg

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12