Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Recently, I saw "The System" - "Girl Getters" over here and have two questions.

1) Which seaside village did the director shoot this film?

2) There are conflicting dates on this picture. Was it made in 64 or 66?

Thanks.

Gibbie

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It was released in september 1964 in the UK and on 12th April 1966 in the US of A.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks again, Steve!

Gibbie

Liked
    0 times
    Someone has said the location was Brighton, but not sure about that?

Rennie
    I am 99.99% certain the location was WEYMOUTH.

Liked
    0 times

I am 99.99% certain the location was WEYMOUTH.
    Thanks

You may be right. It certainly looks like Weymouth - at least south Dorset on coast.

I have no verifier on it though.

Gibbie

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    I think The System was filmed at Paignton.Losey's The Damned,with Olly Reed, was filmed at Weymouth and Portland Bill.

Rennie
    No,No, definitely not Paignton. I am sure you will find it was Weymouth.

Liked
    0 times
    In the film, the train pulls into stop and it says "Roxham". But, the town looks much more like Weymouth, because of the train going right into town and with all those townhouses overlooking the sea.

I borrowed the tape from the library and looked for location - it just said on location and in studios.

Gibbie

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Gibbie:

In the film, the train pulls into stop and it says "Roxham". But, the town looks much more like Weymouth, because of the train going right into town and with all those townhouses overlooking the sea.

I borrowed the tape from the library and looked for location - it just said on location and in studios.

Gibbie
    That's why it's such fun trying to track these locations down Gibbie, especially for the older films with minimal credits.

Even when you know which town it was filmed in they can always sneak in a few shots taken in another town many miles away - or in the studio (it's not always obvious).

e.g. In The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp it's nearly all filmed in the studio or on the back lot of the studio or in a few places near the studio or in London. But for one scene (between Clive and Barbara at her parents house) they went all the way up to North Yorkshire for a scene that's only on screen for a few minutes.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Steve,

You are right! It is a great game with old films and new ones too.

Reviewing the scenes, it appears that much of it was done in Weymouth. And, I think the pier and the train station scenes were at Paignton, as Dylan suggested. Though Roxham is all over the signage, there is a post inside the exit door when they go out to the cars that says Paignton. Also, I noticed that Merrow and Reed were parading on the Esplanade, which looks like Bournemouth (notice the light posts). The hotel that Guy Doleman visited was the Palm Court, which is in Bournemouth.

So I think you are right that it is one of those composite towns, which is done so much in film.

While this is probably the full story, it would be interesting to get insights from people who know for sure and have a story about location filming.

A few notes on the film:

* I think it was Oliver Reed's most versatile role. He played a convincing role as a complex youthful cad (Tinker) and was more complex than the critics give him credit for.

* Jane Merrow (Nicola) is one of my favorites, but miscast in this. She's too nice.

* The Searchers soundtrack title song is one of the most perfectly chosen for a movie (It fits the ironic storyline). The lyricist was Mike Pratt, who was on many Danger Man and The Saint episodes.

* The cast was made up of many well known actors to come. In addition to the aforementioned there were David Hemmings (David) and John Alderton (Nidge). Doleman (Philip, Nicola's father) went on to bigger roles in "The Ipcress File," "Thunderball" and "The Prisoner."

* The German girls were Dora Reisser (Ingrid), who did more supporting roles, but eventually became a clothing designer in her own right. And, the tragic Talitha Pol (Helga), who was the late wife of recently departed John Paul Getty II, who died in the deleterious days of hippiedom.

Actually, I didn't like the story. It needed a stronger script. But, it is very close to modern teen experience.

Thanks for your input!

Gibbie

Liked
    0 times
    "The System" was being made In Brixham, a fishing port in Devon, (near Paignton & Torquay) in 1963, using the railway branch line from Churston (on the Paignton - Kingswear / Dartmouth line). I was a university student at the time working on the local Devon General bus company, and passed filmings at Torquay on the sea front.

I have always wanted to see this film - but so far have yet to locate it - so your message will send me off in search!

Kind regards

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, David - Great to have first hand witnesses!

You've established a few facts. Paignton - Kingswear / Dartmouth line from Churston line is the track used and there was shooting in Brixham and Torquay.

Shoalstone Beach, Brixham, is probably where the hideaway beach was shot. Brixham has a very nice little harbor.

Broadsands Beach, Paignton, is where much of the beach scenes were shot.

Oddicombe Beach, Torquay, or Berry Head is probably where the last scene was shot.

The film is now on video and will probably be at your local video rental or library.

Gibbie

GRAEME
    The brilliant groovy baby Oliver Reed flick The System features a wonderfully evocative ruined beach hamlet. Reed says in the film that it was swept away in a storm.

I wonder where it was - and if the ruins are still there?

Is it near to the main locations in Torbay/Torquay?

Senior Member Country: UK SainT's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Just found the same Britmovie thread from 2004:
    Shoalstone Beach, Brixham, is probably where the hideaway beach was shot. Brixham has a very nice little harbor.
    Broadsands Beach, Paignton, is where much of the beach scenes were shot.
    Oddicombe Beach, Torquay, or Berry Head is probably where the last scene was shot.

Hope the 'wonderfully evocative ruined beach hamlet' is (was) among these three locations...

Check also this website:
    Burleigh House - Nearby Beaches

Greg
    Last edited by SainT; 27-11-10 at 01:28 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    It sounds like Hallsands
    Hallsands Ruin:: OS grid SX8138 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!

(Edit: I've just found the clip on youtube, and Hallsands it is)
    Last edited by ghughesarch; 27-11-10 at 04:44 PM.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughesarch View Post
    It sounds like Hallsands
    Hallsands Ruin:: OS grid SX8138 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!

(Edit: I've just found the clip on youtube, and Hallsands it is)
    That's it! Fantastic! Thanks very much.

Liked
    151 times
    Just been watching this and the train station in the opening scene is Churston, then on to Brixham and Torbay station.

The first seafront scene is Paignton, with the Redcliffe Hotel in the background here:

Liked
    151 times
    Pebblecove, South Hallsands

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, Churston station at the start and the arrival at 'Roxham' filmed at Brixham station with the shots of the train passing along a seafront in between filmed at Dawlish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast