Thread: Tintin

Liked
    144 times
    Yesterday, I was discussing with a friend who is a tintinophile (yes, they do exist ), about the Spielberg awful 3D graphic adaptation of Herg�'s work. Ok, haven't seen the movie (and don't intend to) but I'm speaking here of the design, the graphic style only ...
    I'm not a " Tintin boy scout stories" addict myself but love Herg�'s drawing style, and le mouvement ligne claire en g�n�ral ...
    This iconic comics is self sufficiant IMO, It's a pity Spielberg (or anyone, Peter Jackson is doing n�2) has no more idea than to adapt so badly Tintin's Adventures, it's OK Steven, we understood you love Tintin, but you've already show it with more inspirated Indiana Jones stories !!

... and poor Capitaine Haddock !!
    Last edited by moonfleet; 28-11-10 at 09:11 AM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    This film hasn't been released yet, so it seems to be a little premature to be condemning it at this stage.

A little Googling reveals that aforementioned Tintinophiles have been getting hot under the collar about pre-release publicity like this Empire article:

Exclusive: First Full Tintin Pictures

I know nothing about Tintin, and am not sure I will ever see the film, but this pre-judging is just wrong.
    Last edited by narabdela; 28-11-10 at 11:22 AM.

Liked
    144 times
    As I said I was speaking about the graphic style, it's an horrible one, not appealing at all as far as I'm concerned, and the graphic style in a cartoon is one of the first thing I look at ... also I dislike in general 3D animated ...
    They tend to say that "looking more closer to real life" is a progress (because it implies more technology), I don't think so, but un m�lange �quilibr� des deux genres (an equilibred mix of tech and hand-made) could give wondeful results as The Night Before ..., Wallace & Gromit, Coraline, The Sens of Life ...

Last edited by moonfleet; 28-11-10 at 11:37 AM.

GRAEME
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, is too bad a fate for the odious Tintin.

Personally, I would have preferred to see him in a live action version played by Vanessa Feltz in a fright wig. Eating Snowy. And snogging Captain Haddock.

Liked
    144 times
    Tintin in Switzerland is an excellent parody

( ... and where of course, Tintin and Haddock have a very ... close relationship )

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    You could look upon a new, cleaner simplified realism in 3-D animation as a modern equivalent to the clean, simplified realism presented in Herge's original cartoons, if you wanted to.

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    You could look upon a new, cleaner simplified realism in 3-D animation as a modern equivalent to the clean, simplified realism presented in Herge's original cartoons, if you wanted to.
    I don't mind the fact that it's a "modern equivalent", a "transposition" , it's estheticaly awful ...

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I had this wonderfully surreal experience in late 90s when I came home from pub drunk and turned on TV, only to be faced with TinTin buggering Snowy!! I think it might have been on Eurotrash, but I am not entirely convinced I did not pass out and dream it.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Liked
    144 times
    Well this is closer to the original drawing style, it's a french (or belgian) TV series ...

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I have seen quite a few pictures from the film and I think it looks as good as you're going to get with CGI. The characters may look a bit different from Herge's original drawings, but the style looks to me as if the film will retain the flavour of the originals.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Looks fine to me. <shrugs>

I'm no fan of 3D and detested the atrocious crap that was Avatar(d), but the Tintin film images look fine.

Still, I'm not some rabid Tintin fan so perhaps my opinion doesn't count?

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The French love Tintin. I'd rather see another "T" teenage hero from the thirties, Terry. Not because Terry is any better than Tintin, but so I can look at the Dragon Lady.

Liked
    144 times
    Hi Will

If you're speaking of Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates, I just love this Great artist ...

Last edited by moonfleet; 30-11-10 at 09:40 PM.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I abore 3d graphic animation too...although I'm not a big fan Tintin deserves better - dreading having my daughter wanting to see Snowy etc and having to sit through all the comic-strip characters moving like slow-mo robots as this technique seems to approve of.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,just seen this film without knowing who the voice was for Rackham/Sakharine,was amazed it was Daniel Craig,does anyone else think the character looks and sounds like Alexander Armstrong

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    55 times
    I enjoyed the film to be honest.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    What was wrong with the TV series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJpRN7swt5o

Liked
    144 times
    But nothing can be compared to the art and talent of Herg�, in the book...

Here Tintin au Tibet

Last edited by moonfleet; 25-02-12 at 10:39 AM.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    I was a big childhood fan of the Tintin books but only have hazy memories of it now so I went into the film with an open mind. Viewing it last night I found the animation was very impressive and rather enjoyed it, though to be honest the action sequences went on far too long for my tastes someone should have told them less is more!