Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Katy Manning

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I thought it time we had a thread on Katy, as there doesn't seem to be one.

I was was watching the Dr Who adventure The Three Doctors over the weekend with a friend of mine and one of the extra features was a brilliant interview with Jon Pertwee, Katy Manning and Nicholas Courtney at Panopticon in 1993. It's great to see them having such a good rapport with each other. I met Katy at one of the Manchester Gmex events and I loved her bubbliness. She's a super person.

Katy played Jo Grant in Dr Who in 1972 and 1973. She recently reprised the role in a two-parter of The Sarah Jane Adventures called Death Of The Doctor. On other TV Katy has appeared in an episode of Softly, Softly: Task Force called Standing Orders, an episode of Target called Big Eliphant, an episode of Armchair Theatre called The Golden Road and two episodes of Man At The Top called The Prime Of Life and A Bit Of Spare And Nothing Else. She has also appeared in an episode of the Austrailian soap All Saints called Pride And Prejudice.

In films Katy has appeared in Eskimo Nell, Don't Just Lie There, Say Something and When Darkness Falls.

wec

Liked
    154 times

Liked
    154 times
    Damn! It's embedded!

wec

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I've met Katy a couple of times too. She's as kooky as Jo Grant, if not kookier, and a lovely lady to boot! She can still get emotional about the death of Jon Pertwee and when she was reunited with Bessie, the third Doctor's vintage yellow roadster, and sat in it, poor Katy broke down. It was super to see her as Jo again recently in THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    She was enjoyable in Eskimo Nell too. One of the better 70's Brit sex comedies.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Thanks for the clips........
    Long before Billie, Katy was always my first fav.....
    Cheers
    Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Katy is a friend of Liza Minnelli, they went to School together when Judy lived in England.

Liked
    154 times
    I've watched Katy this week in the Dr Who story The Curse Of Peladon. One of the extra features is Katy talking about her time on Dr Who with Jon Pertwee. It's lovely to hear her talk so fondly of them. I think these two actors had a really great rapport. They both loved a bit of fun too and both are always welcome on my TV screen.

wec

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    So besotted was I that I made a pilgrimage to Plymouth (about 60 miles) in about 1974 to see her in a play called 'Odd Man In', also starring Colin Baker and Lionel Blair.

The play was hilarious, and Katy was wonderful. I was heartbroken when she married Raynor Burton.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Just for Dave here are Katy & Sylv back in Nov 2004 @ Memorabilia...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I met Katy Manning and Richard Franklin (Captain Mike Yates) when they did a signing at The Television And Movie Store in Norwich on January 17th 2009, Katy was a wonderful person and great to meet, Richard Franklin was very friendly, they both signed several Doctor Who items for me, one of the items that Katy signed for me was a Day Of The Daleks Stamp Cover, Day Of The Daleks was my first ever Doctor Who Video (due to be released this year on DVD), the Unit years are one of my favourite periods of Doctor Who, Jon Pertwee is my second favourite Doctor Who, it was great to see Katy in the last series of The Sarah Jane Adventures, below are some photographs (not taken by me) of Katy Manning and Richard Franklin that were taken at The Television And Movie Store in Norwich on January 17th 2009, the manager of the Store did take several photographs of me and my mum with Katy Manning and Richard Franklin, Jo Grant is one of my all time favourite Doctor Who Assistants and Captain Mike Yates is also one of my favourite characters from classic Doctor Who.

Liked
    154 times
    Great pics Smudge and Billy. I had my photos taken with Katy on a friend's camera but sadly it looks as if they were deleted. Luckilly I have video footage of her though. It's always a joy to see Katy. She's so bubbly. She's just wonderful.

wec

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons View Post
    Great pics Smudge and Billy. I had my photos taken with Katy on a friend's camera but sadly it looks as if they were deleted. Luckilly I have video footage of her though. It's always a joy to see Katy. She's so bubbly. She's just wonderful.

wec
    Great pity about the awful cosmetic alterations, though!

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    A photograph of Katy Manning (taken in 1970).

This 21 year old ratty haired green eyed Katy Manning was picked from an audition of 70 Actresses to play the Assistant Jo Grant in the new Doctor Who series, Katy is the Daughter of the well known sports writer J.L. Manning and is seen here on the banks of the River Thames near Strand on the Green, August 2nd 1970.

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlGirl View Post
    Great pity about the awful cosmetic alterations, though!
    The lips definitely give it away.

wec

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    IIRC Those were corrective after a car accident rather than simply cosmetic.

Smudge

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    IIRC Those were corrective after a car accident rather than simply cosmetic.

Smudge
    Thanks for correcting me on that point Smudge. I should have guessed that Katy wouldn't have done it for vanity reasons. She just doesn't seem the type somehow.

wec

Senior Member Country: Romania chuffnobbler's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    29818_424286415831_659590831_5420024_1084521_n.jpg

Here's me with the great lady, at a signing approx 3yrs ago.

Mrs Chuff and I have been discussing whether or not Katy has had work done. We think, on balance, probably not. Her mouth is quite wide in the 1970s vintage pic above.

I was helping at Memorabilia in November. Minding my own business in the green room, getting coffees, etc, the door burst open and in burst Katy Manning. "Can anybody show a blind old lady where she can get a sandwich?!!" ... hilarious.
    Last edited by chuffnobbler; 03-02-11 at 03:39 PM.

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffnobbler View Post
    29818_424286415831_659590831_5420024_1084521_n.jpg

Here's me with the great lady, at a signing approx 3yrs ago.

Mrs Chuff and I have been discussing whether or not Katy has had work done. We think, on balance, probably not. Her mouth is quite wide in the 1970s vintage pic above.

I was helping at Memorabilia in November. Minding my own business in the green room, getting coffees, etc, the door burst open and in burst Katy Manning. "Can anybody show a blind old lady where she can get a sandwich?!!" ... hilarious.
    Great pic. Thanks for that Chuff. Wow! What an entrance! That sounds like Katy.

Which memorabilia event was that pic taken at?

wec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast