Thread: Harry H Corbett

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Can someone remind me of the title of a film with Harry H Corbett,in colour from the 60s/70s, his character is similar to his Steptoe persona wearing a grubby mac and air of desperation about him, anyway the scene I remember is him in a red public phone box and he spots a pretty girl in the box next to him, so he somehow calls her and chats her up quite successfully and asks her out for a date to which she agrees, she doesn't realize he is speaking to her from the next phone box and she says to him that there is some creepy guy in the next phone box who keeps leering at her, meaning him. He is totally crushed by this realization of what she thinks of him physically and that he stands no chance of getting a date with her. It was Im sure a compendium of short films, or was it a Steptoe film or episode?
    Last edited by christoph404; 04-12-10 at 12:51 AM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland bruiser15's Avatar
    Liked
    50 times
    The Lust segment of The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins I reckon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067381/

Last edited by bruiser15; 04-12-10 at 01:17 AM.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Bruiser is correct. Cheryl Kennedy, soon to marry Tom Courtenay in real life, was the girl in the telephone box (lucky her). The actress in that picture, however, is Anouska Hempel, who was credited as Blonde. Cheryl mentions Gladstone Park in the scene, very close to where I live.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 04-12-10 at 01:28 AM.

Liked
    177 times
    Images from 'The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins: Lust'

Quote Originally Posted by christoph404 View Post
    ... his character is similar to his Steptoe persona wearing a grubby mac and air of desperation about him ...

... anyway the scene I remember is him in a red public phone box and he spots a pretty girl in the box next to him, so he somehow calls her and
    chats her up quite successfully and asks her out for a date to which she agrees, she doesn't realize he is speaking to her from the next phone box:

"Anyway, my name is Ambrose."
    ... and she says to him that there is some creepy guy in the next phone box who keeps leering at her, meaning him. He is totally
    crushed by this realization of what she thinks of him physically and that he stands no chance of getting a date with her ... :
    Last edited by cornershop15; 04-12-10 at 06:50 AM.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Brilliant, thats the one! Thanks guys and big thanks to Cornershop for posting those screen grabs!, just as I remembered it,( not quite a red phone box and his character looks quite smart) that scene with Corbett is a bit heartbreaking really.
    Last edited by christoph404; 04-12-10 at 11:36 AM.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    I remember this scene as well. Corbett's facial expressions alone are a story on thier own. It is poignant and a reminder of what a fine actor he was.
    Great screengrabs Cornershop.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Ah ... I knew I'd heard of Cheryl Kennedy somewhere before. It was bugging me when I heard of her in another context recently. Haven't seen this film for ages.

Incidentally Harry's film Cover Girl Killer is now out on DVD. It's a good example of what a good actor he was, IMO.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks to Edward, and especially Christoph for his inspiration for future posts (including the hitherto-elusive Yvonne Paul!). It was a spur-of-the-moment thing as coverage of the Ashes prevented me from watching some of my Friday night favourites, like Gideon's Way and The Twilight Zone.

I quite like this one of the too-rarely-seen Cheryl Kennedy in The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins:

I have just two of her other appearances: Napoleon & Love, as the eponymous Pauline, and The Sweeney.

I ended up screencapping most of the scenes in that story and have a few ideas, notably for the forthcoming thread 'Posters in Films'.
    There are rather a lot of them in this one so I might have to create a web album as one of my 'Added Bonuses' in the opening post.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 05-12-10 at 03:18 AM.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post

Incidentally Harry's film Cover Girl Killer is now out on DVD
    Great!

xx
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 05-12-10 at 11:59 AM.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Directed by Graham Stark who turns 89 next month and is I believe still working with his stills camara.