Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    We are looking for the location of these two mews on the Avengerland site. Any ideas?

RETURN OF THE SAINT: One Black September (Leslie Norman: 1977)
    Simon Templar (Ian Ogilvy) chases Masroof (Stephen Grief) to the road at the back of the building.

JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN: Poor Butterfly (Alan Gibson: Alan Gibson: October 1968)
    Unknown 1 � Commercial artist, Steven Miller (ChadEverett) has received an invitation to attend a weekend party in the country and sets off from his mews flat in his 1929 Bugatti.

Unknown 2 � Commercial artist, Steven Miller (ChadEverett) has received an invitation to attend a weekend party in the country and sets off out of the mews where his flat is situated his1929 Bugatti.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I hope someone comes up with these. Mews in London all look the same to me.

Senior Member Country: UK SainT's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    From my e-mail reply to Tony from 5 December 2010:

On page 58 the unknown mews seen in JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN: Poor Butterfly.
    http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/spotting/spot58.htm
    When I saw it, I felt this location could be solved soon. This night I started investigating this location and about 15 minutes I discovered the exact location for the mews. The mews is called Redcliffe Mews, South Kensington, SW10 9JU.

On page 58 the scene for Unknown 2 (left THEN picture). Here is NOW picture for this location:
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1117185

Here is a reverse shot for Unknown 1 (both THEN pictures):
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1594330

There are couple of changes now, for example the white paint is gone, different paint on the houses at the end of the mews, etc...

Redcliffe Mews is no covered in Google Maps Street View, but is covered in Seety website. You can check the Seety website for this location. It is definitely Redcliffe Mews. You have in the attachment NOW picture from Seety website which confirms my research. The two houses at the end of the mews seen on Unknown 1 (both THEN pictures) and also Seety NOW picture are: 26 and 28 Redcliffe Mews.

This is a Google Maps Street View link for Unknown 2 (middle THEN picture)
    Redcliffe Mews (middle) - Google Maps Street View

This is a Google Maps Street View link for Unknown 2 (right THEN picture)
    Redcliffe Mews (right) - Google Maps Street View

Unknown 1 = Redcliffe Mews - Seety:

Greg
    Last edited by SainT; 12-12-10 at 12:49 AM.

Liked
    6 times
    Gosh! That was quick. Well done Greg!

Your skills as a location hunter are second to none.

Senior Member Country: UK SainT's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks Tony.

When I replied to your e-mail on 5 December I didn't realise the mews featured in RETURN OF THE SAINT: One Black September is not discovered yet, because you didn't wrote Unknown in page 58 for this location.
    When you started this thread on 12 December I was aware of this mews is not discovered.
    Also, I was unprepared when you started this thread.

The mews seen in RETURN OF THE SAINT: One Black September is Pindock Mews, Maida Vale, W9 2PY.

Pindock Mews is no covered in Google Maps Street View, but is covered in Seety website. You can check the Seety website for this location. It is definitely Pindock Mews. The house at the end of the mews seen on 4th THEN picture and also Pindock Mews 01 - Seety NOW picture: 4a Pindock Mews.

There are minor changes now in 2nd, 3rd and 4th THEN pictures when we compare to Pindock Mews 01 - Seety NOW picture.
    However, the building on Castellain Road seen in Pindock Mews 02 - Seety NOW picture was build after 1977 and didn't exist in time of filming (1st THEN picture).

3rd and 4th THEN pictures = Pindock Mews 01 - Seety:

1st THEN picture = Pindock Mews 02 - Seety:

Greg
    Last edited by Steve Crook; 15-12-10 at 11:39 PM. Reason: New version of 1st picture which was deleted on TinyPic

Liked
    6 times
    I am once again astounded at your location spotting abilities.

The new buildings on Castellain Road look to have been built in keeping with the style of their surroundings. In many ways sympathetic restorations or new buildings make location spotting harder.

Job well done Greg!

Just an explanation - Unless otherwise stated all the photos on the Avengerland Location Spotting Pages are unknown and need to be identified. The reason the Black September mews had no "Unknown 1" tag is that there was only one unknown location for that episode. So it would normally be identifed as 'the Black September location on page 58' by anyone writing in.

There were possibly two locations for Poor Butterfly so they we called Unknown 1 and Unknown 2 to enable ease of communication.

Sometimes an episode has had all its unknowns identifed but one so you may see the odd single location with an 'Unknown..' tag.
    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 13-12-10 at 09:16 AM.