Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    Hmm. Don't you think you ought to keep that kind of intimate detail to yourself?
    but also

    Steve

  2. #22
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,373
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    Hmm. Don't you think you ought to keep that kind of intimate detail to yourself?
    Well, I do have some from ISC that won't be shown

  3. #23
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,373
    Liked
    36 times
    It would be nice if it was actually available in this country as I don't think it has aired here since 1982

    Hopefully, there will be some better news after its screening at the BFI next month.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,864
    Liked
    57 times
    I wonder if the BFI has renewed the copyright (which lapsed in 1996), if so they might release it on DVD. I have a DVD-R sourced from TV VHS source, not bad quality, and I have been known to sing the theme song from time to time. I also have the rather saucy (considering she was 16) promo photos for the film (spot the white rabbit!), which I see you have too. I would have been a 8 year old schoolboy at time of filming and oddly I also used to put on my school uniform the same way (shirt, tie & jumper all in one over the head!). I also miss record stores with the listening booths ...

  5. #25
    Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,812
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    I wonder if the BFI has renewed the copyright (which lapsed in 1996), if so they might release it on DVD. I have a DVD-R sourced from TV VHS source, not bad quality, and I have been known to sing the theme song from time to time. I also have the rather saucy (considering she was 16) promo photos for the film (spot the white rabbit!), which I see you have too. I would have been a 8 year old schoolboy at time of filming and oddly I also used to put on my school uniform the same way (shirt, tie & jumper all in one over the head!). I also miss record stores with the listening booths ...
    Welcome here agutterfan........your in good company....
    I start counting is also one of my treasured possesions like yours sourced from a TV somewhere....
    I remember those record shops with listening booths...highly embarrassing esp if your next to someone who starts dancing.....
    Cheers
    Sgt S

  6. #26
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,373
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    I wonder if the BFI has renewed the copyright (which lapsed in 1996), if so they might release it on DVD. I have a DVD-R sourced from TV VHS source, not bad quality, and I have been known to sing the theme song from time to time. I also have the rather saucy (considering she was 16) promo photos for the film (spot the white rabbit!), which I see you have too. I would have been a 8 year old schoolboy at time of filming and oddly I also used to put on my school uniform the same way (shirt, tie & jumper all in one over the head!). I also miss record stores with the listening booths ...
    Why would copyright have expired in 1996 - I would have thought the earliest it could possibly expire in the UK was 2040.

    I've also got a number of unpublished shots from I Start Counting. Actually, I think Jenny was only 15 when filming took place - I'll ask her.
    Last edited by Fellwanderer; 27-06-11 at 04:46 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    915
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    In a little over three years, Jenny starred in a quartet of films that I'd back against any four films from another teenage actor: Walkabout, The Railway Children, The Snow Goose and I Start Counting. The first three are well known, even if The Snow Goose is hard to find, but I Start Counting (1969) is much less well known and now hard to find. It was shown on terrestrial and digital television stations several times but deserves a proper DVD release.

    I cannot better Drew Shimon's review of this wonderful film:


    so won't even try tsave to say it is a marvellous performance from Jenny who simply exudes a powerful wide-eyed innocence and growing awareness of her sexuality:










    Thanks very much, Fell.

    Recent information: Flipside are showing it at the BFI Southbank in July with the wonderful Miss A in attendance for a Q & A, but sadly they won't be releasing it on DVD anytime soon thanks to rights issues (same old bollocks, year in year out).

    As for the picture of Jenny from the photoshoot in her white undies, I should be careful before uploading that kind of stuff though, just for your own sake. I know she's an accepted and well-known actress, is understandably very proud of the film, and may well be a personal friend of yours or an even closer acquaintance- but we live in a judgmental society these days, who are keen to jump on people and call them all sorts of names for things they haven't done- something which in itself would probably prevent a film like this getting made now. I'm 37 and have received a fair amount of flak from the 'moral majority' just for dating a 20 year old woman, so while I would never judge you myself, and am sure you're in fact a perfectly respectable person, I would personally advise against posting pictures of teenage film stars, even famous ones, in their lingerie, lest it invite the attentions of the retard hordes that seem to now run our country. These are same ones, of course, that probably own Britney Spears posters and albums and fantasise about the size of Charlotte Church's knockers, but would also be too thick to realise the irony of this as they punched you about the face or bricked your windows. Not that this has ever happened to me or anyone I know, but you do hear the odd horror story here and there, and there are, sadly, more of them then there are of us (ie true lovers of cinematic beauty).

  8. #28
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,373
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gurney View Post
    Thanks very much, Fell.

    Recent information: Flipside are showing it at the BFI Southbank in July with the wonderful Miss A in attendance for a Q & A, but sadly they won't be releasing it on DVD anytime soon thanks to rights issues (same old bollocks, year in year out).

    As for the picture of Jenny from the photoshoot in her white undies, I should be careful before uploading that kind of stuff though, just for your own sake. I know she's an accepted and well-known actress, is understandably very proud of the film, and may well be a personal friend of yours or an even closer acquaintance- but we live in a judgmental society these days, who are keen to jump on people and call them all sorts of names for things they haven't done- something which in itself would probably prevent a film like this getting made now. I'm 37 and have received a fair amount of flak from the 'moral majority' just for dating a 20 year old woman, so while I would never judge you myself, and am sure you're in fact a perfectly respectable person, I would personally advise against posting pictures of teenage film stars, even famous ones, in their lingerie, lest it invite the attentions of the retard hordes that seem to now run our country. These are same ones, of course, that probably own Britney Spears posters and albums and fantasise about the size of Charlotte Church's knockers, but would also be too thick to realise the irony of this as they punched you about the face or bricked your windows. Not that this has ever happened to me or anyone I know, but you do hear the odd horror story here and there, and there are, sadly, more of them then there are of us (ie true lovers of cinematic beauty).
    No problem, Jack - I take your point and the appropriate action will shortly be taken. I would never post the other photos from the same shoot.

    It seems odd that rights issues prevent an official dvd release in this country while it can be streamed, and presumably released, in the US - absolutely bonkers

  9. #29
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    915
    Liked
    4 times
    I think most great British horror films and thrillers seem to have slipped the rights net in the States- I got half my old bootleg VHS versions of things like NIGHT HAIR CHILD, WHAT BECAME OF JACK AND JILL, BLUE BLOOD, REVENGE and many others from an American cable channel where they seem to show this stuff in perpetuity!!

  10. #30
    Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,864
    Liked
    57 times
    Here's a rare and lovely photo of DP Alex Thomson checking the light for Jenny on the film set


  11. #31
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,386
    Liked
    7 times
    I got half my old bootleg VHS versions of things like NIGHT HAIR CHILD, WHAT BECAME OF JACK AND JILL, BLUE BLOOD, REVENGE and many others from an American cable channel where they seem to show this stuff in perpetuity!!
    Both Blue Blood and Revenge have had UK DVD releases and can be bought off Amazon UK.

    Night Hair Child is unlikely to get a UK DVD release without censor problems due to the several Mark Lester/ Britt Ekland nude scenes. The BBFC even recalled it and made additional cuts to it after the 1978 Protection of Children Act.

    What Became of Jack and Jill - presumably no-one thinks this is worth releasing.

    Personally, I doubt that rights issues are preventing I Start Counting being released. More likely cost of getting a decent print vs expected sales There will be a rights holder and it will still be under copywrite since David Greene only died in 2003 and I think the writer is still alive.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    0 times
    Wasn't the old Revenge disc on Amazon ratio gimped? Hopefully Network's impending release fixes this.
    Blue Blood looks chopped to pieces on there. The Ghoul appears to be still only on tape (similar type of film/appeal). Whilst Night Hair Child just got a blu-ray shot in America, it's still effectively banned here. Plus ca change. Eyewitness looks like it has a nice Spanish DVD, yet nothing on the UK horizon etc.
    If Odeon can do a nice transfer of Goodbye Gemini that's still in print, I'm sure completists of the era would shell out for Jack & Jill
    There's old threads on here with numerous people begging to see more early Agutter, and rightly so.
    The tragedy of these films is they fall into the hands of the bootleggers, who make a mint hawking out grainy copies year in, year out, until finally one of the legit vintage reissuers bursts the bubble.
    It was the same type of scenario with Linda Hayden in Baby Love, until quite recently.
    The mighty David Hemmings as well. Just like Jenny Agutter, starred in a big deal serious classic (Blow Up), same as she did in Walkabout, yet large chunks of his career have been out of print for decades. Ian McShane too, the list goes on...

  13. #33
    Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStranger View Post
    Wasn't the old Revenge disc on Amazon ratio gimped? Hopefully Network's impending release fixes this.
    Blue Blood looks chopped to pieces on there. The Ghoul appears to be still only on tape (similar type of film/appeal). Whilst Night Hair Child just got a blu-ray shot in America, it's still effectively banned here. Plus ca change. Eyewitness looks like it has a nice Spanish DVD, yet nothing on the UK horizon etc.
    If Odeon can do a nice transfer of Goodbye Gemini that's still in print, I'm sure completists of the era would shell out for Jack & Jill
    There's old threads on here with numerous people begging to see more early Agutter, and rightly so.
    The tragedy of these films is they fall into the hands of the bootleggers, who make a mint hawking out grainy copies year in, year out, until finally one of the legit vintage reissuers bursts the bubble.
    It was the same type of scenario with Linda Hayden in Baby Love, until quite recently.
    The mighty David Hemmings as well. Just like Jenny Agutter, starred in a big deal serious classic (Blow Up), same as she did in Walkabout, yet large chunks of his career have been out of print for decades. Ian McShane too, the list goes on...
    Talking of David Hemmings ,it would be great to see The Long Day's Dying in a nice clean print instead of the blurry old mess that's been doing the rounds forever.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    915
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541 View Post
    Both Blue Blood and Revenge have had UK DVD releases and can be bought off Amazon UK.

    Night Hair Child is unlikely to get a UK DVD release without censor problems due to the several Mark Lester/ Britt Ekland nude scenes. The BBFC even recalled it and made additional cuts to it after the 1978 Protection of Children Act.

    What Became of Jack and Jill - presumably no-one thinks this is worth releasing.

    Personally, I doubt that rights issues are preventing I Start Counting being released. More likely cost of getting a decent print vs expected sales There will be a rights holder and it will still be under copywrite since David Greene only died in 2003 and I think the writer is still alive.
    They have. But they hadn't in 2011 when I last contributed to this thread!!

    The DVD of BLUE BLOOD is rather lovely, actually, and also a snip at a mere �2.99: the DVD of REVENGE I've now also seen (and introduced a screening of) but yes, I have been led to believe that two separate versions exist, and that the newer one is far superior to the older.

    As for I START COUNTING, I was actually told by my contacts at the BFI that rights were indeed the problem: that was again, however, several years ago, so what the situation may be as it stands today I'm not sure. Meanwhile, JACK AND JILL continues to languish in limbo- although it is at least viewable on YouTube now. One day, we may yet see a decent restoration...

  15. #35
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    336
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStranger View Post
    Wasn't the old Revenge disc on Amazon ratio gimped? Hopefully Network's impending release fixes this.
    Blue Blood looks chopped to pieces on there. The Ghoul appears to be still only on tape (similar type of film/appeal). Whilst Night Hair Child just got a blu-ray shot in America, it's still effectively banned here. Plus ca change. Eyewitness looks like it has a nice Spanish DVD, yet nothing on the UK horizon etc.
    If Odeon can do a nice transfer of Goodbye Gemini that's still in print, I'm sure completists of the era would shell out for Jack & Jill
    There's old threads on here with numerous people begging to see more early Agutter, and rightly so.
    The tragedy of these films is they fall into the hands of the bootleggers, who make a mint hawking out grainy copies year in, year out, until finally one of the legit vintage reissuers bursts the bubble.
    It was the same type of scenario with Linda Hayden in Baby Love, until quite recently.
    The mighty David Hemmings as well. Just like Jenny Agutter, starred in a big deal serious classic (Blow Up), same as she did in Walkabout, yet large chunks of his career have been out of print for decades. Ian McShane too, the list goes on...
    & When is Deadly Strangers going to get a release -just as worthy as the above & BOTH deserving of a proper release.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,056
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    According to my text-only notebooks that I have with me as opposed to the scrapbooks that have the adverts brochures and photos which are in my employer's storeroom along with all the 2,999 others (LOL) I Start Counting was the companion film for much of its nationwide release with David McCallum in "Mosquito Squadron" starting in the London suburbs on 13 December 1970 having previously been shown together for its Inner London run at the New Victoria cinema, Wilton Road, Victoria. Different areas may have had their own programming but will need to get at the ads themselves for evidence. (Unless someone has the Southend Gazette or whatever it is from around that date mentioned?)
    Hi Rick, from my film poster collection here is the quad double-combo film poster for I Start Counting & Mosquito Squadron.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  17. #37
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    Strewth, Joe, I guess there isn't a film that you haven't got a poster for. What a collection to be proud of!

  18. #38
    Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    0 times
    Now just have to imagine a network logo at the top left-hand corner, The British Film top left, and I guess a '15' cert down the bottom

  19. #39
    Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,056
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Strewth, Joe, I guess there isn't a film that you haven't got a poster for. What a collection to be proud of!
    I do have a large film poster collection but nowhere near enough to cover all films evermade. I love my film poster collection. My main interest is in UK quad posters and I am always on the look out to add more to my collection.

  20. #40

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. I Start Counting
    By PS68060 in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 29-06-14, 05:47 PM
  2. I Start Counting
    By DocRobertPepper in forum Dates for your Diary
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-05-11, 04:48 PM
  3. I Start Counting
    By Gerry C in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-12-08, 09:55 PM
  4. I Start Counting (1969) Jenny Agutter
    By grahamlong in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 27-11-08, 06:42 PM
  5. Clare Sutcliffe, I Start Counting
    By grahamlong in forum Actors and Actresses
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-04-05, 04:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts