Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    In a little over three years, Jenny starred in a quartet of films that I'd back against any four films from another teenage actor: Walkabout, The Railway Children, The Snow Goose and I Start Counting. The first three are well known, even if The Snow Goose is hard to find, but I Start Counting (1969) is much less well known and now hard to find. It was shown on terrestrial and digital television stations several times but deserves a proper DVD release.

I cannot better Drew Shimon's review of this wonderful film:

so won't even try tsave to say it is a marvellous performance from Jenny who simply exudes a powerful wide-eyed innocence and growing awareness of her sexuality:

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Very nice photos Fell..........Thank you..
    Its a great little film.....
    Cheers
    Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    if i am right in believing it was the companion double-feature to one of the Lee Van Cleef westerns or an advertisement I (think I) remember which included "The 1,000 Plane Raid". I'll check my scrapbooks from those years (3,000 of them!) but as they are archived elsewhere it might have to be after the holidays before i can rummage them.

Liked
    212 times
    Here's a screengrab I took from the film.......

Cheers
    Sgt S

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    if i am right in believing it was the companion double-feature to one of the Lee Van Cleef westerns or an advertisement I (think I) remember which included "The 1,000 Plane Raid". I'll check my scrapbooks from those years (3,000 of them!) but as they are archived elsewhere it might have to be after the holidays before i can rummage them.
    That would be much appreciated. I remember seeing I Start Counting in 1970 - at the Odeon in Southend, I believe. No idea what it was shown with as Jenny was the attraction for me!

Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    That would be much appreciated. I remember seeing I Start Counting in 1970 - at the Odeon in Southend, I believe. No idea what it was shown with as Jenny was the attraction for me!
    According to my text-only notebooks that I have with me as opposed to the scrapbooks that have the adverts brochures and photos which are in my employer's storeroom along with all the 2,999 others (LOL) I Start Counting was the companion film for much of its nationwide release with David McCallum in "Mosquito Squadron" starting in the London suburbs on 13 December 1970 having previously been shown together for its Inner London run at the New Victoria cinema, Wilton Road, Victoria. Different areas may have had their own programming but will need to get at the ads themselves for evidence. (Unless someone has the Southend Gazette or whatever it is from around that date mentioned?)

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I Start Counting would be a perfect candidate for the BFI Flipside series, with an HD transfer to Blu-ray and a commentary by Jenny. This film long deserves some decent treatment.

When I was last at the Point Royal location it did too, sadly...

Smudge

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    According to my text-only notebooks that I have with me as opposed to the scrapbooks that have the adverts brochures and photos which are in my employer's storeroom along with all the 2,999 others (LOL) I Start Counting was the companion film for much of its nationwide release with David McCallum in "Mosquito Squadron" starting in the London suburbs on 13 December 1970 having previously been shown together for its Inner London run at the New Victoria cinema, Wilton Road, Victoria. Different areas may have had their own programming but will need to get at the ads themselves for evidence. (Unless someone has the Southend Gazette or whatever it is from around that date mentioned?)

Must have been early 1971 thn - the old gry cells playing up! I can't even remember what the locsl pspere was called but if I had to make a guess it would be the Southend News as that seems to ring a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    I Start Counting would be a perfect candidate for the BFI Flipside series, with an HD transfer to Blu-ray and a commentary by Jenny. This film long deserves some decent treatment.

When I was last at the Point Royal location it did too, sadly...

Smudge
    Indeed it would. When I can get some time with Jenny, that's one of the films I'd like her to talk about as it rarely gets a mention.

Junior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Aha! Those screen grabs bring back the memories! Thanks again!

Shame it seems that it's not on DVD/Blu Ray, hope they get around to releasing it sometime soon.

d.f.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Excellent film, with Simon Ward and Bryan Marshall playing against their later types. Haven't seen it on Tv for nearly 30 years, but I can still remember the theme. Must now go to the Film locations.

K

Liked
    23 times
    An earlier posting of mine today(Saturday 8 January) on the Jenny Agutter thread has photographs of my 1960's memorabilia relating to I Start Counting owing to another query regarding the film on that thread also.

Maybe one of the Moderators can make a duplicate of my posting on there to put it on this thread also?

Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kline View Post
    Excellent film, with Simon Ward and Bryan Marshall playing against their later types. Haven't seen it on Tv for nearly 30 years, but I can still remember the theme. Must now go to the Film locations.

K
    My crystal ball tells me that I Start Counting was last screened on ordinary telly in May 1982, and before that in June 1977. Both transmissions on BBC 1, but films end up anywhere nowadays!

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    Dusty Springfield sings the title song. It's on her See All Her Faces album.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy Forsdyke View Post
    Dusty Springfield sings the title song. It's on her See All Her Faces album.
    You live and learn! Doesn't really sound like a song Dusty Springfield would have sung, I'm more used to remembering her belting them out. I thought Lindsay Moore's version was just right for Jenny's character - winsome and on the cusp of womanhood.

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    I wish I could find a YT link for the Springfield version. She sings it in a whispery falsetto - beautiful version.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember it being shown quite a few times on one of the movies channels in the early nineties.

Liked
    36 times

Just come across a rare photo of Jenny taken during the filming of I Start Counting - wonder if she'll sign it for me

No idea why it isn't showing up properly as I've added it as per usual.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    For those that don't know the original theme title song by Lindsey Moore is uploaded on You Tube. Great to hear it in its entirety. I hope this films gets an eventual DVD release on BFI Flipside.

Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fraguela View Post
    For those that don't know the original theme title song by Lindsey Moore is uploaded on You Tube. Great to hear it in its entirety. I hope this films gets an eventual DVD release on BFI Flipside.
    Cheers Joe.......Here's that you-tube clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1zh3J0GwrQ

Sgt S

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    Just come across a rare photo of Jenny taken during the filming of I Start Counting
    Hmm. Don't you think you ought to keep that kind of intimate detail to yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast