Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Hi.

This is due to be shown tonight and should be very interesting to say the least!

TV documentary tackles crippling effect of cheap supermarket food - 12/21/2010 - Farmers Weekly

Their findings include supermarkets in churches, Tesco-financed police stations, and Asda-financed clinics. The programme also examine whether "Made in Britain" always means what is says.

xx
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 22-12-10 at 04:39 PM.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I'm expecting it to be another Panorama special on stating the bleeding obvious
    How the supermarkets are killing off all the other shops in the area and how they're destroying the small farmers

No, "Made in Britain" doesn't always mean what most people would think it says. It can just mean "Packed in Britain"

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    There's nothing wrong with 'cheap' food, do people want many elderly who only have a state pension to live on starve by making food prices more 'realistic'?, a bit of healthy competition between the major's keeps the prices down.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    a bit of healthy competition between the major's keeps the prices down.
    Spoken like a true Tory

Steve

Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Spoken like a true Tory

Steve
    So you're against the free market then Steve?.........everything state controlled in your utopia then, and to hell with joe public the consumer having freedom of choice.

Liked
    418 times
    So you're against the free market then Steve?.........everything state controlled in your utopia then, and to hell with joe public the consumer having freedom of choice.
    Spoken like a true Tory

Just because I'm against one thing doesn't mean that I'm also against everything similar to that or related to that. And it certainly doesn't mean I'm automatically pro everything diametrically opposite to that thing.

There are many shades of grey between black and white

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Supermarkets already killed smaller ones here. I could care less. Long as I get cheap food. Small farmers can go to those local farmer markets that block off a street where I never go.

Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    Supermarkets already killed smaller ones here. I could care less. Long as I get cheap food. Small farmers can go to those local farmer markets that block off a street where I never go.
    Ah, I see, a man who couldn`t care less about his own health or struggling small business owners in his community. And it`s not about what you can afford, I understand that people find it hard, I`m hardly loaded myself, it`s about attitude, if we put up with cheap processed food and never complain that`s what the fat cat millionaires will keep giving us.
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 23-12-10 at 12:05 AM.

Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Spoken like a true Tory

Just because I'm against one thing doesn't mean that I'm also against everything similar to that or related to that. And it certainly doesn't mean I'm automatically pro everything diametrically opposite to that thing.

There are many shades of grey between black and white

Steve
    You could have fooled me, you didn't address my earlier post of pensioners starving because you feel food should be more expensive, but then you wouldn't know anything about 'starving', you university graduates, according to the panellists on question time, are the highest earners in the land, and I wouldn't argue with that, the life of luxury you academics lead means it's you who is out of touch, not me, I know all about poverty and pensioners who have to choose between heating and eating, you don't.

and another thing, off topic but I don't care, you moan and moan about the forthcoming olympics because you have to 'pay' for it through your discounted council tax, but did you moan and moan when the taxpayer funded that university education of yours?..........I very much doubt it.
    Last edited by Mark O; 22-12-10 at 11:27 PM.

Liked
    416 times
    There's nothing wrong with 'cheap' food, do people want many elderly who only have a state pension to live on starve by making food prices more 'realistic'?, a bit of healthy competition between the major's keeps the prices down.
    Mark, cheap food doesn`t do any good for the young, middle aged or the elderly in the long run. People forget how much you pay for packaging in these places too, so it doesn`t work out that cheap I can assure you. It`s the same old thing, the government needs to cater better for pensioners through benefits to solve anything.

What about the elderly who depended on the little local shop keeper for convienience, put out of business by `super` markets, or a local post office where they didn`t have to walk or bus for miles? All of their community gone now. Look to the government and the rest of the fat cats in this country for all the problems the elderly encounter.

xx
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 22-12-10 at 11:34 PM.

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl View Post

What about the elderly who depended on the little local shop keeper for convienience, put out of business by `super` markets, or a local post office where they didn`t have to walk or bus for miles? All of their community gone now.
    xx
    :

Liked
    416 times
    Thankyou Jim.

No offence meant to anyone on this thread, it`s just something I feel very strongly about.

xx

Liked
    416 times
    and another thing, off topic but I don't care, you moan and moan about the forthcoming olympics because you have to 'pay' for it through your discounted council tax, but did you moan and moan when the taxpayer funded that university education of yours?..........I very much doubt it.
    With respect Mark, education is there to try and help our society develop, the Olympics will just be people playing a few games at the expense of millions of pounds to the tax payer.

Don`t believe all you hear on question time either, the average time for a University graduate to settle in a job they have origionally desired is 6-8 years, IF they are lucky, and that isn`t even in a climate as bad as we find our selves in now.

xx
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 22-12-10 at 11:58 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Mark, cheap food doesn`t do any good for the young, middle aged or the elderly in the long run. People forget how much you pay for packaging in these places too, so it doesn`t work out that cheap I can assure you. It`s the same old thing, the government needs to cater better for pensioners through benefits to solve anything.

What about the elderly who depended on the little local shop keeper for convienience, put out of business by `super` markets, or a local post office where they didn`t have to walk or bus for miles? All of their community gone now. Look to the government and the rest of the fat cats in this country for all the problems the elderly encounter.

xx
    Excellent post Michelle.

The elderly people I look after have shopping trips out a couple of times a week so they can do their shopping at the local Morrisons in town, or Waitrose in Buxton and it's a great service for them. However, many of those who remember would have much preferred to go to the corner shop, which was just across the road from them until the local supermarket forced them out of business.

I would personally much rather pay a little extra and support local business than a multi rich big business which doesn't even pay their employees a decent wage. Arkwright's local shop that was open all hours is sadly a thing of the past, even if he did rip off his customers. Farmers are also being crippled by Supermarket demand, especially with the two for one bargains.

wec

Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons View Post
    Farmers are also being crippled by Supermarket demand, especially with the two for one bargains.
    That`s right Dave, like it said on Panarama tonight, the two for ones aren`t the supermarkets being good to us, it`s their suppliers who suffer as it comes out of their pocket, not the supermarkets.

xx

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    That`s right Dave, like it said on Panarama tonight, the two for ones aren`t the supermarkets being good to us, it`s their suppliers who suffer as it comes out of their pocket, not the supermarkets.

xx
    I only knew about it because a couple of my friends are farmers and they told me about how much the supermarkets force their merchandise to be sold to them at ridiculous low prices in order for them to keep their prices low. There's no other way the supermarkets could get away with it. It's very sad. The farmers are at the mercy of the supermarkets. It's just another example of what's wrong in today's rip-off Britain.

wec

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    It is a bit chilling to see the Security Tags on the very large beef joints at my local McFoodery. I keep thinking of Soylent Green when I see them. A store manager told me that a scam developed where people were secreting the meat in the undertray of childrens buggies and so the stores started tagging them. I can't help but feel that if they sold smaller joints, then each one wouldn't be worth so much per package and so be less worth organised criminals nicking them. Who wants these enormous joints anyway? There's enough in one of them to feed a platoon!! Some supermarket logic is very odd.

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Over here in Australia he corner shop has been all but wiped out too. Corner shops in Brisbane are now all about snack food, ciggies and basic bread and milk. There's no whipping in to get flour or apples anymore. But interestingly, something called Aussie Farmers Direct has popped up which has taken off enormously. You can ring up or order online, get your stuff in-season and locally grown and bypass the Supermarkets altogether. AND they've brought the milkman back! All with free delivery and it supports our farmers who have had a terrible time with a decade of drought and now flooding. I know this probably reads like an infomercal, but honestly, if I can get good, cheap food, don't have to fight for a park and give local farmers my cash, I'm in it! Great for the oldies, too - way more nutritious than Meals on Wheels.

Liked
    418 times
    You could have fooled me, you didn't address my earlier post of pensioners starving because you feel food should be more expensive, but then you wouldn't know anything about 'starving', you university graduates, according to the panellists on question time, are the highest earners in the land, and I wouldn't argue with that, the life of luxury you academics lead means it's you who is out of touch, not me, I know all about poverty and pensioners who have to choose between heating and eating, you don't.

Look before you leap to assumptions

I'm not an academic, I have a real job
    I did my degree as a mature student and I did it part time. My employer funded it, not the tax payer
    You know so little it's frightening

I chose not to respond to the ridiculous examples you gave when, in your classic style, you went from one extreme to another

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know about you folks, but there are lots of different supermarkets close to where I live, not just one ot two, and the organic vegetables and the like are available at the local farmer markets, which there are two of not far away, held once a week, and at more specialty chains like Whole Foods further away. If people really were willing to pay more at the small markets to support them, they would still be around. Oh Trader Joes has organic food, another chain, and isn't too far away. And the main supermarket chains here are unionized and people working there do just fine. The smaller markets they replaced and smaller non unionized chains pay crap. The super giant Walmarts with markets still have no presence here in the central big cities.
    Last edited by will.15; 23-12-10 at 01:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast