Member Country: UK Shandonbelle's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all, have'nt been on here for a long while but good to see its still such a great site! Anyway am taking the kids to see this today, anyone seen it yet? I know I loved the book when I did it in English Lit, it was very far ahead of its time with the underlying satire and moral tale. I think we'll go to the 3D version, purely because its on at a more convenient time but I'd be happy to see it without.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I've heard that it's got little to do with the book, and lots to do with Jack Black doing his larger than life character - in this case, literally. I bet the kids love it, and won't even connect it when they read the book.

Does anybody know of a decent, faithful-ish version of the book?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Ted Danson's TV movie at 3 hours is the best for me. Don't be put off by the Muppet man Jim Henson's and Hallmarks involvement. A very fine cast, good effects and faithful script.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    Does anybody know of a decent, faithful-ish version of the book?
    Yeah, I doubt that we'll see the sequel where Jack goes to the land of the Houyhnhnms, learns to despise humanity and then sails away home in a boat made with the skins of human "Yahoos" anytime soon!

Liked
    0 times
    Well, it was a thouroughly faithful adaptation of the renouned Johnathon Swift book, scene for scene, word for word...not! Actually this was an really enjoyable film tho with only surface likeness to anything in the novel, but it worked, more for the hammy tongue in cheek acting of Billy Connolly and the guy from Black books, cant think of his name now, the good thing is that now the kids would like to read the book, so cant knock it really.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Didn't see anyone from Black Books in it? "Roy" from the IT Crowd was in it though.

Bloody dreadful film - typical Jack Black "Oh, I can't grow up, that girls out of my reach and my life's a waste". 90 minutes later his life's turned around, he miraculously grows up and gets the beautiful woman. As seen in School of Rock et al.

Poor effects and a waste of the extra money we paid to see it in 3D. There was little or no 3D sequences in it!

Avoid.

Liked
    0 times
    Ah thats who it was! Yes I agree the 3D was a total waste.