Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Titanic ... The True Story
    Channel 5 ... Friday 7th January 2011 ... 8.00-9.00pm

This Channel 5 documentary (first of a new series) examines the events of that has inspired films, beginning with James Cameron's multi-Oscar winning Titanic. The programme explores the facts surrounding the sinking of the giant liner and appraises the accuracy of key moments in the film and attempts to separate fact from fiction.
    Radio Times/DigiGuide
    Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 06-01-11 at 04:35 AM.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_emma_peel View Post

This Channel 5 documentary (first of a new series) examines the events of that has inspired films, beginning with James Cameron's multi-Oscar winning Titanic. The programme explores the facts surrounding the sinking of the giant liner and appraises the accuracy of key moments in the film and attempts to separate fact from fiction.
    Radio Times/DigiGuide
    Emma
    They are looking at Cameron's film, but they call it "The True Story"

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_emma_peel View Post

The programme explores the facts surrounding the sinking of the giant liner and appraises the accuracy of key moments in the film and attempts to separate fact from fiction.
    Radio Times/DigiGuide
    Emma
    Plenty of scope for correction there. Joking aside it should be well worth watching.

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Just watched this and it's another ch5 documentary for those who think X factor is culture.There is some good information here but it's overshadowed by stuff that anyone who paid the remotest attention at school will know anyway.You don't last long in freezing cold water,Titanic might have avoided the berg if she had been moving more slowly(I wonder if that's a lesson driving schools could pass on to their pupils-if you don't go so fast you have more time to react)etc.,the guy from the simulator saying he would have gone more slowly than Captain Smith(ya don't say,hindsight is a wonderful thing).If he'd been in Smith's shoes with the corporate pressure to keep to the timetable coupled with the knowledge that she was unsinkable(as was almost universally believed)and the presence of Ismay,I suspect the outcome would have been the same.
    The ludicrous comparisons with the film almost had me believing,by the end,that the disaster was based on Cameron's flick rather than the other way around.Oh wow there was no Rose/Winslet on the real ship but there was a Rosa who unfortunately bore no other similarity to the film character other than the first 3 letters of the name.When she(the real person) was pulled from the ocean onto a lifeboat the voice over told us dramatically that it was a moment almost echoing the film.Surely they have that the wrong way around?
    The most revealing disclosure was that a 3d version of the film is to be released for the 100th anniversary of the disaster in 2012.So was this just the first in a series of thinly disguised promos I wonder?
    The experiment with the volunteer in the cold water tank did throw up some interesting conclusions,but not much else was of value.
    Ch5 does sometimes show interesting and informative documentaries,the previous evenings Seal Ripper nature programme being a case in point,but their history stuff tends to be tabloid style and stating the obvious.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Well now that dirty Des is in charge I wouldn't be surprised if they had loads of half-naked dolly birds cavorting in the water.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Also found this a bit disappointing - Cameron's film is such tosh anyway that it seemed unnecessary to 'explore' whether it was accurate or not. Apart from the fact that the ship actually sank in real life, there seems little else in there that you could call 'historically accurate.'

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    I found it a bit documentary-lite and consequently disappointing.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan gowdy View Post
    I found it a bit documentary-lite and consequently disappointing.
    I agree, I found the programme extremely disappointing.
    One of the finest documentaries I've seen on the Titanic disaster was several years ago ...
    a History Channel two part, two hour special, Titanic ... Death of a Dream narrated by David McCallum, superbly well researched in incredible detail with excellent, cleverly interwoven, meticulous graphics.
    The entire documentary is available on YouTube.
    Emma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nApSarBHwCE
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 10-01-11 at 04:59 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Having recorded quite a number of Titanic docs over the years the main problem is they contradict each other oh so much. It’s a bit like the recent flood of Bob Monkhouse docs. One said his mother went to his wedding, the other programme said she didn’t. I love watching these programmes but do tend to take them with a pinch of salt.