Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I was given the Network 41 dvd box set as a presie (yes I know the person must have hated me Lol) can anyone tell me if there are any other episodes available I never watched the series first time round but after watching it now I quite liked it.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    If you have this one

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_in...oducts_id=1011

then you have all that survives.

Yes it was a great little soap that could make cliff hangers (that kept you watching) out of anything.
    They recorded it in one take I think ? which meant that fluffs and dodgy acting were kept in and caused it to get a bit of a reputation IE 'Acorn Antiques'
    but despite all that, it did its job which was to entertain without resorting to smut or misery.

Liked
    23 times
    For those of us here in Birmingham that endured/enjoyed Crossroads from the very beginning to the absolute limit/end, life will never be the same without it. Yet courtesy of the "MACE" archive (the records of the University of Central England together with the depositories of other universities in the region that sported local ATV studios) you too can watch 'behind the scenes' footage of the cast opening supermarkets/attending awards ceremonies/driving sports cars etc in spectacular minute-long videos!

The lead video for all you eager folks out there is here:

www.macearchive.org.uk/Media.html?Title=32244#

You should get links to the other mini-vids in the 'you might also enjoy' attachment section. Where the MACE archive develops a life all of its own is when it categorises the offenders/actors involved in the names of the personalities and they can pop up anywhere without tagging. But thats Birmingham. Open 7 days a week as long as they are all Bank Holidays.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    The Network box is all of the episodes released thus far - episodes subsequent to the most up to date ones in the box do survive, but their release is not (I assume) a priority these days...

Personally I found the most modern update of Crossroads to be wonderfully entertaining nonsense after a hard day at the coal face...

Smudge

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Teacake View Post
    If you have this one

Crossroads Archive 1965-1979: 45th Anniversary Edition: Network DVD

then you have all that survives.

Yes it was a great little soap that could make cliff hangers (that kept you watching) out of anything.
    They recorded it in one take I think ? which meant that fluffs and dodgy acting were kept in and caused it to get a bit of a reputation IE 'Acorn Antiques'
    but despite all that, it did its job which was to entertain without resorting to smut or misery.
    Hi yes this is the set I have so looks like I might not get any more, I agree it was a nice clean entertaining soap one of the reasons I liked it.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    The Network box is all of the episodes released thus far - episodes subsequent to the most up to date ones in the box do survive, but their release is not (I assume) a priority these days...

Personally I found the most modern update of Crossroads to be wonderfully entertaining nonsense after a hard day at the coal face...

Smudge
    Oh well one can live in hope perhaps in time they might release more

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    For those of us here in Birmingham that endured/enjoyed Crossroads from the very beginning to the absolute limit/end, life will never be the same without it. Yet courtesy of the "MACE" archive (the records of the University of Central England together with the depositories of other universities in the region that sported local ATV studios) you too can watch 'behind the scenes' footage of the cast opening supermarkets/attending awards ceremonies/driving sports cars etc in spectacular minute-long videos!

The lead video for all you eager folks out there is here:

www.macearchive.org.uk/Media.html?Title=32244#

You should get links to the other mini-vids in the 'you might also enjoy' attachment section. Where the MACE archive develops a life all of its own is when it categorises the offenders/actors involved in the names of the personalities and they can pop up anywhere without tagging. But thats Birmingham. Open 7 days a week as long as they are all Bank Holidays.

Many thanks for this Rick

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    I know people are rather dismisive of Crossroads but to be fair it wasn't bad and entertained millions of people, what's wrong with that ?

Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadey View Post
    I know people are rather dismisive of Crossroads but to be fair it wasn't bad and entertained millions of people, what's wrong with that ?
    I think they were just on the bandwagon, for example I cannot remember any of the sets wobbling and now believe this was just a myth - although I do remember Amy Turtle looking at the camera waiting for her que , and also remember the rumble and the look of terror in the corner of the eye as those huge cameras rolled into an actor to get a close up. LOL

Apparently one of the great lost episodes is Carlos the chef fighting his murderous brother on the Eiffel Tower. There are others missing like the local church having devil worshippers in spotted by the post office head mistress Miss Tatum -or something like that.

great stuff

Liked
    23 times
    I think they were just on the bandwagon, for example I cannot remember any of the sets wobbling and now believe this was just a myth - although I do remember Amy Turtle looking at the camera waiting for her que , and also remember the rumble and the look of terror in the corner of the eye as those huge cameras rolled into an actor to get a close up. LOL

Apparently one of the great lost episodes is Carlos the chef fighting his murderous brother on the Eiffel Tower. There are others missing like the local church having devil worshippers in spotted by the post office head mistress Miss Tatum -or something like that.

great stuff
    Arfur!

1. The Carlos fight-was it not on a moving crane in a factory? In which case an excerpt is on the archive video reported to Marker on Post no.7

2. The trundling cameras and the terrified performers. Surely this is creative reworking of the Michael Powell film "Peeping Tom"?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Absolutely nothing wadey, I loved 'Megs' Crossroads, guess I and I've doubt many others saw Meg as a bit of a mother-figure in the 1970's, poor Jill, she didn't half go through it with one thing another, I can vaguely recall an episode with Carlos driving a Scooter, full on in front of the camera, I think it may have crashed.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi all I think Crossroads was quite good for its time and was certainly a family program
    I am annoyed with myself for not watching it first time round.
    There are a some clips on U tube that are worth looking at of course many episodes are
    missing as they were taped over in the earlier days but it looks like there are at least a thousand episodes
    or more in the archive that could be shown but I expect not that many people would be interested now
    in watching or buying these but who knows maybe Network will bring some more out.
    I would have thought that there must be copies of home recordings of Crossroads not in the Network boxed set and I am going to have a look round the net to see if any are available.

Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Arfur!

1. The Carlos fight-was it not on a moving crane in a factory? In which case an excerpt is on the archive video reported to Marker on Post no.7

2. The trundling cameras and the terrified performers. Surely this is creative reworking of the Michael Powell film "Peeping Tom"?
    could well be Rick thanks?
    those clips showed old Carlos was well up for action there . His replacement Mr Lovejoy was very cool and laid back like an old hippie
    ? LOL

Liked
    23 times
    The dear old Birmingham Evening Mail here did a feature on the missing episodes a few years ago. Maybe forumers can glean if there is an update on this mass mystery?

http://www.birminghammail.net/earlie...7319-20913598/

Liked
    12 times
    There are others missing like the local church having devil worshippers in spotted by the post office head mistress Miss Tatum -or something like that.
    Yes! All I can remember is the Reverend Peter Hope confronting them in the church (I think they looked like young leather-jacketed bikers) and telling them to leave "in the name of Christ". I also have a vague memory that this particular story line used some unusual background music.
    Does anyone else have any memories of this?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I had the pleasure of meeting many of the original XRoads cast when I did a stint in the theatre right across the road from the old ATV centre. In fact a number of then turned up to see our show. So I have some great memories of Nolly at her peak, along with Jane Rossington, Kathy Staff, Pail Henry and more...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I started watching it when it first started in 1964. In fact, it was very good between then and 1966 and Sandy had some gorgeous girlfriends, played by such as Diane Grayson and Wendy Padbury and another named Elizabeth, but I can't remember who played her. One scene I still remember is where Sandy is walking alone alongside a deserted canal and rehearsing the little speech with which he intends to tell "Liz" that he loves her. When that was, I can't remember. Perhaps 45 years ago?

Liked
    22 times
    Notable Crossroads characters included Doris Luke, Adam Chance and Jill Richardson (Harvey) – who all returned to the show in 2001, but others included Benny Hawkins (played by Paul Henry), David Hunter (played by Ronald Allen), Barbara Hunter, (played by Sue Lloyd), Nicola Freeman (played by Gabrielle Drake), Shughie Mcphee (played by Angus Lennie) and Tommy Lancaster (played by Terence Rigby).

Thanks to http://www.crossroads2001.co.uk/originalseries.htm

Liked
    22 times
    I always fancied Miss Diane and there's an interesting article here

Crossroads' Miss Diane, Sue Hanson, hopes for acting comeback after years of heartache - Sunday Mercury

Liked
    0 times
    I must also admit to fancying Miss Diane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast