Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Anyone recognise this church?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Putney?........has a look of south london to me, not north.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Looks similar to the church on Trinity Road Wood Green London N22 although the buildings on the left of the church are different.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    The tower's in the wrong place for the Trinity Road one (where the tower is to the left of the main front of the church, not directly above it). It looks (as do the buildings to the left) genuinely Dutch or Belgian - is this a bit of stock footage which happens to have been used in the programme, or does the church reappear frequently?

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughesarch View Post
    It looks (as do the buildings to the left) genuinely Dutch or Belgian - is this a bit of stock footage which happens to have been used in the programme, or does the church reappear frequently?

As far as I know this is not stock footage. The production had an obviously low buget (although they could afford Rutger Hauer for this episode), but a quick trip across the channel is not impossible.
    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 16-01-11 at 12:03 AM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Having seen the episode I can confirm that this is not stock footage. I agree that the church does not look English, but Pathfinders was such a cheap show, full of grainy stock footage of aircraft in colour, sepia and even black and white (including footage from The Dam Busters) that I just cannot imagine them doing foreign filming.

Senior Member Country: Japan
    Liked
    28 times
    From the friend of a friend, who worked in ecclesiastical insurance:

"There are approximately 18 thousand parish churches of the Church of England
    I might recollect three hundred or so and not this one.
    However, I would guess:
    It is mid or late Victorian
    it has a broached spire
    it will be of machined stone and brick construction with a tall clerestoried nave
    It is cruciform over aisles with a central fleche".

So we're not much wiser, then.

Liked
    202 times
    What I find a little odd is that there are no vehicles in the pic, not even my flippin' beloved Buses!

I would have thought at least one of those edwardian houses to the right would have had a car parked outside, there is a possibility the church may have been demolished, spires take a lot of looking after, I just thought it had a look of Putney heath about it that's all.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I hope this information, from Action TV Online, will be of some help:

Filmed at EMI-MGM Studios in Borehamwood, Bovingdon airfield and other locations in Hertfordshire, and West Malling airfield in Kent

If not, apologies. This is the episode that's been driving me round the bend for the past couple of months. I'd already scanned it twice, desperately trying to find and identify Valentine Palmer for a post at 'The Name's the Same', the thread where Wadsy pointed out an horrendous error I'd made.

As our fellow member isn't normally seen in these parts, I wonder if anyone can tell me if the pilot who is blown up in his Lancaster at the end of Sitting Ducks is indeed Valentine Palmer (I don't want to make another mistake at the thread, see):

Back to the subject of churches in the episode. Is this a different one?:

And what about the windmill that appears a couple of times? Does that offer any clues to the location?

The picture quality on the DVD is TERRIBLE and one episode is actually missing, even though it survives.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 18-01-11 at 12:56 AM.

Liked
    6 times
    That church is different (but seems to be equally non-English - slate spires are definitely the exception rather than the rule here, the rule rather than the exception in Holland). If you can post a screengrab of the windmill, though, I should be able to identify it if it's UK - and identify which country it's in if it's not.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    You have an excellent knowledge, ghughesarch. Here is the aforementioned Windmill:

Liked
    6 times
    That's Dutch. There definitely was not any English windmill with those specific features (brick tower mill with arched windows, four 'common' - ie cloth-spread - sails and turned into the wind by a braced tailpole) still standing in that condition in 1971. The last to come even close to looking like that in the UK had been a derelict shell since the 1930s.
    Now, is the windmill stock footage or not?
    Last edited by ghughesarch; 18-01-11 at 02:00 AM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The windmill exterior are not stock footage.

The building with the Nazi flag is also seen in the episode... It's a longshot, but does anyone recognise it?

vlcsnap-2011-01-13-23h00m33s213.png

vlcsnap-2011-01-13-23h03m53s225.png

Liked
    6 times
    The budget stretched to a location shoot in Holland then. The building with the Nazi flag is characteristically Dutch too.

Liked
    28 times
    Here is a reply from a Dutchman, who has seen the photo with the church in it.

"I think it's Dutch. The church is pretty universal and could be anywhere. The architecture of the houses on the left is fairly typical Dutch (though East Anglia and Flanders remain possible), but the bike can only be Dutch. If you have ever owned one, you know what it is. The bike has a step-through frame - designed for long skirts - and no chain protection, leaving long skirts at risk. It's an old, worn ladies bike, now used by a man who would usually wear a short coat or no coat at all and who doesn't care about muddy or torn trousers. Puzzle: where are the brakes? If you don't know, you'll never guess. They're on the hind wheel axle. For me, that makes it 100% sure that this bike is Dutch."

And a reply from a New Zealander with a Dutch wife:

"Well, looking at a couple of other items in the picture, the chap's cap looks Dutch, and the bicycle looks a lot like my wife's Batavus model, so that points to a Netherlandish setting."
    Last edited by icetorch; 19-01-11 at 06:39 PM. Reason: updated information

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icetorch View Post
    Puzzle: where are the brakes? If you don't know, you'll never guess. They're on the hind wheel axle. For me, that makes it 100% sure that this bike is Dutch."
    Unless it's German

When I used to visit my German pen-friend and stay with her and her family in the 1970s we used to go cycling in the countryside on bikes like that. You have to apply pressure on the pedals as if you're back pedalling to apply the brakes

Steve

Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Unless it's German

When I used to visit my German pen-friend and stay with her and her family in the 1970s we used to go cycling in the countryside on bikes like that. You have to apply pressure on the pedals as if you're back pedalling to apply the brakes

Steve
    Yes, I remember the type. You had to go all the way to Germany just to get a girlfriend?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icetorch View Post
    Yes, I remember the type. You had to go all the way to Germany just to get a girlfriend?
    Girlfriend? I said pen-friend. There were plenty of girls here, but not many who spoke German when I was learning it

Steve

Liked
    202 times
    hmm, probably Europe, somehow I don't think we'll ever find out!

Not relevant to the thread, but on the subject of dutch churches my local catholic church is in the dutch style.........

Top Deck of Bus: Catholic Church | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/09/...3_0426b15a.jpg
    Last edited by Mark O; 19-01-11 at 08:51 PM.

Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Girlfriend? I said pen-friend. There were plenty of girls here, but not many who spoke German when I was learning it

Steve
    Aha, you needed them to speak German to you, to give you an, er, a turn-on. Like Jamie Lee Curtis in "A Fish Called Wanda", when John Cleese speaks Russian to her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast