Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Love Story

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    TVTimes listing, 27th June 1966

Great research Arfur and Didi, and fabulous news about the forthcoming DVD. I'd love to know why those particular episodes were chosen. The biggest surprise is that, unlike the Armchair Theatre release, some black-and-white ones are included.

I am not too disappointed that the Top Three on my wish list aren't included as I wasn't expecting this exciting development. It might take a bit of time to sink in. I'll watch all of these plays with equal enthusiasm and remember how grateful I am to Network yet again, but I do get worried when you all discuss the unlikelihood of future releases if a DVD doesn't sell well. We're still waiting for Volume 2 of Magpie and Armchair Theatre.

Zlatna has reason to be doubly pleased as I have found the listing for The Small
    Hours
    , with the added bonus of an also surviving episode of Seven Deadly Sins.

I've mentioned Seven Deadly Sins many times here as this is the series that included File on Harry Jordan, starring Barry Foster, and A Temporary Typist - two of the biggest personal losses from ITV's archives. The latter was the first programme I added details to at the IMDb.

Earlier that day, the Wimbledon tennis championships started. I've only ever known the BBC to cover this famous event but back then it was ITV. Also of note is that Thank Your Lucky Stars came to an end two days before. Among the final guests were The Beatles (currently No. 1 with Paperback Writer ), Herman's Hermits, Peter and Gordon, Cleo Laine, Helen Shapiro and Gene Pitney.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 30-01-11 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Enlarged document.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    I am not too disappointed that the Top Three on my wish list aren't included as I wasn't expecting this exciting development. It might take a bit of time to sink in. I'll watch all of these plays with equal enthusiasm and remember how grateful I am to Network yet again, but I do get worried when you all discuss the unlikelihood of future releases if a DVD doesn't sell well. We're still waiting for Volume 2 of Magpie and Armchair Theatre.
    Indeed. Armchair Theatre v2 was planned for October 2010. Network have a habit of leaving series hanging. I can't help thinking that for Love Story, given that most episodes are black and white, they should have released more episodes at a �24 price point, maybe sixteen, given it a really decent release, and then might have generated more sales. It won't sell well IMO as the series isn't that well known (despite picking names like Alfred Burke and Patrick Mcnee to spark interest), and releasing eight episodes at a time would need around 12 volumes to release the whole series. By which time Network will have lost the contract to distribute ITV material.

For me personally it is disappointing, making surviving material as inaccessible as that which is missing. But like you cornershop I wasn't expecting this series to appear anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

What does worry me, as it does you, is the lack of quality drama material making it to DVD. Play of the Week, Play of the Month, ITV Playhouse, Play for Today, Wednesday Play, Thirty Minute Theatre, Armchair Theatre, Theatre 625 ... the list goes on and the number of releases of the surviving material from these series (much was wiped) has been pitiful. What it means from a historical perspective is that our assessment of people's careers is skewed by what is easily available. For my own project on Gary Bond for example I was surprised to see that in many of his 1960s TV appearances he played the villain/bad guy but those shows are either lost or unavailable. So instead we think of him as something of a posh romantic type when it comes to TV work, because there is little evidence other than his Avengers episode to suggest otherwise. I'm sure that example is not unique.

Reading some of the synopses of the play anthologies mentioned above almost all our favourites did great work, challenging work, that would change our perspectives on how we now remember them. It is one of the frustrations of not being able to see much of archive TV - and one reason to celebrate initiatives such as the BFI Mediatheque where rare material can be viewed. Releasing material commercially would also stop it changing hands via torrents etc which makes no money for performers or creators of TV work.

That's why the policy of Network etc relating to releasing series in individual volumes is deeply disappointing, IMO, and Love Story's release of eight selected episodes from across the eleven series is just another missed opportunity, welcome though the release undoubtedly is.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Hi Cornershop

yes there are some crackers in the Armchair Theatre stable . I would have thought they would have released the easily accessible 'The Others' a great spooky tale with Ann Lynn.

Hi Didi

The Love Story with Dennis Waterman looks intriguing, I mean, it must have been in his contract to sing the theme tune at least ? LOL

Senior Member Country: Canada Zlatna's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    TVTimes listing, 27th June 1966

Zlatna has reason to be doubly pleased as I have found the listing for The Small
    Hours
    , with the added bonus of an also surviving episode of Seven Deadly Sins.
    Cornershop, thank you so much for the finding the listing and posting it here. Hannah looks so very young, not surprising as some 45 years have passed since.

I'm hoping I live long enough to see the archives of ITV, the BBC and even the CBC thrown open to people who want to download a copy of an episode or series, for a price of course. It would relieve the copyright holders of the cost and hassle having to remaster and manufacture DVD's and would allow us the public to do our own cherry picking.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    TVTimes preview for 'The Small Hours'

And that's not all, Zlatna! There's a full-page article on the show in the same issue, along with a nice photo of the stars:

Is that the Peter Reeves who narrated Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, with Gary Bond?

Added Bonus (as she's mentioned):

I thought you might like to see 'Allo 'Allo star Carmen Silvera as she looked back then:

Amazingly, hitherto unknown child actor John Gugolka was referred to earlier in the thread as he played Jack Hedley's son in the Love Story written by Penelope Mortimer (alluded to in the above article). Furthermore, both actors were in the remake of Goodbye Mr. Chips a few years later.

Very pleased to report that all of Knock On Any Door survives. Although I share didi's frustration concerning those elusive plays, I'm more optimistic about forgotten series of the 1960s. The Corridor People made it to DVD so we must not give up hope. With any luck, by the end of the year I might even have The Devil in the Fog in my collection!
    Last edited by cornershop15; 30-01-11 at 08:53 PM.

Liked
    191 times
    It is indeed Peter Reeves, narrator from 1972's Joseph! Good find!

Zlatna - I agree, a pay per download or something would work really well. We will have to see what happens over the next few years. Something has to, or the grey market will take over altogether, which just means poor copies in circulation.

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    Well none of these are mine, but I am not too bothered. I have found that since re-watching a lot of these sixties programes I have begun to have a fancy for them. I am so happy I was born then so I could enjoy them the first time around, and also now.
    Last edited by Elaine; 01-02-11 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Too many words

Liked
    191 times
    There are so many old programmes to enjoy and tracking them down either on commercial DVD or elsewhere is half the fun. And maybe Love Story on DVD will be complete by the time I reach the age of 50 ... something to look forward to!

Liked
    600 times
    Didi,
    You are young enough to do that. Wait that is. I wish they would hurry up and release some of these great series so we all could enjoy them now.

Yes, I am enjoying tracking down whatever is available. Although I was in my early to late teens in the sixties, I get a thrill to see, and remember life back then.

Liked
    191 times
    I often think I would have liked to be a teen in the early 60s just as life was really beginning for independent women. My mum's generation! (I'm not that young btw, approaching forty ...).

I do agree with you that with the DVD market being what it is material should be put out there in the way old films are - they will find an audience, all those old TV shows, and the personalities and performers who are under the radar might be rediscovered by new generations and celebrated. It's why I applaud every archive TV release (and buy most of them!).

It's pure selfishness I suppose wanting material with our favourites but there's nothing wrong with that. And at least there is a chance for material we know has survived. It is very disheartening researching programmes that were destroyed during the 'record then wipe' phase of TV broadcasting. I had a spate of this earlier in the week with Gary's work of which more than half his early credits were wiped (or in a couple of cases, transmitted live and never recorded).

Thank goodness Love Story has survived complete. It does give hope that eventually all the episodes will get released for everyone to enjoy. Zlatna is the lucky one this time, maybe with volume 2 it will be you, or me, or whoever else is waiting for an episode or two to come out again.

Liked
    600 times
    I am the same generation as your mum then. My oldest daughter is thirty nine this year.
    It is a funny thing, but when you are living it you don't notice how good those years were. I have realised this of late, and wish I had enjoyed myself more.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm feeling slightly guilty that I'm the one who won the DVD episode lottery this time. Especially as I have not only this new old Hannah treasure appearing, but will also have some new new Hannah goodness to watch later this month (she's done an episode of "Hustle" with Robert Vaughn). And cornershop has gifted me with those two wonderful clippings in this thread about her "Love Story" episode. Also, the last of the Lillian Beckwith audiobooks that she is the reader of has just arrived, so I now have the complete set of those.

Hopefully this set of "Love Story" sells much better than they expect it too, so that the next one gets released very quickly, and has the episodes in it that others want.

Liked
    600 times
    Zlatna,
    Don't feel guilty. I have several films and a couple of series with Jack in coming soon. I have read The World Of Tim Frazer, I managed to get the book, which was a great read. I could imagine Jack Hedley as Tim. Hopefully, as you said, next time we will get our episodes. It is quite exciting thinking that we might.
    Elaine.

Liked
    191 times
    Absolutely - it's the luck of the draw. I've had a very good year with finding GB stuff and am hopeful of finding some more. I can wait. I just get impatient LOL.

Liked
    137 times
    More details and cover for this release are now up on Amazon

Love Story - Volume One [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

Liked
    600 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgmel View Post
    More details and cover for this release are now up on Amazon

Love Story - Volume One [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD
    I was quite surprise last night when on Amazon, to see the Love Story cover and Details. They weren't there when I pre-ordered. Great layout.

Liked
    600 times
    Date put back. We won't get Love Story until October now. Just had an email from Amazon. What a pain.

Liked
    191 times
    It could be 'a good thing' if it means they are planning a slightly bigger set, hence the delay (says the ever optimistic didi).

Liked
    0 times
    *sigh*

Yes, hopefully it will mean a few more episodes from the series, or a few more extras centering on the episodes on the set, or episodes restored to pristine beauty.

Liked
    600 times
    Well in that case, I'll be optimistic along with the both of you. That way the wait will be more of a pleasure.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast