Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Love Story

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    Does anyone know if Love Story, T.V. series, was ever on vhs or dvd?

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Sadly Elaine shows for girlies hardly (if) ever get released on DVD.

It seems the DVD market is just aimed at male nerds, who can have a great debate on the dirt on frame number 12 zillion and three ?

The good news is that a great deal of the long running Love Story series (1963-73) still exists.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Yes ... I've been looking for one episode of it for ages, which I know survives, and have even asked here, but nothing doing.

Liked
    600 times
    There is hope, then. I think I must be a female nerd, I have been collecting Jack Hedley like everything he is in, might disappear if I don't get it tomorrow. I hate to think what my bank balance is right now.

Liked
    191 times
    I've been searching for more than two years and I haven't even seen a still from the episode I want - but, like you, Elaine, I live in hope. I'm a Gary Bond collector which is why I'm interested in this series. Sometimes I think we're all mad the way we collect our favourites, but there it is :)

Very nice avatar of Jack, btw.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Would that be And It Wasn't Just the Feathers, with a certain Gary Bond, didi? And Girl on the Cliff + Ain't Afraid to Dance for original poster Elaine (on account of starring Jack Hedley)?

The Top Three on my wish list are The Wedding of Smith Seven-Nine, with childhood favourites Julia Foster and Rodney Bewes; Amy, played by Tessa Wyatt; and Walter, featuring cult favourites Christopher Coll and Sheila Fearn, who is seen here with Leslie Sands in a TVTimes listing for the 1973 play:

It appears this is the first time I've posted that. I'll give Sheila's thread a 'bump' with it straight after this.

Delighted to say that all the titles mentioned exist - somewhere. Like me, Arfur has also noticed the dearth of 'Women's series' on DVD: Phyllis Calvert as Kate, Margaret Lockwood in Justice, and Seven Faces of Woman to name but a few. "'urry up, Network!!!"

You've done me a favour, Elaine! Jack plays a character called Hugh Grant in one of those plays - perfect for The Name's the Same. I will, of course, give you due credit

Liked
    191 times
    Of course it would, cornershop - you know me too well! Find me a still from that and I'd probably explode LOL.

I've asked Network several times now for this series. It's ATV, and they've released loads of programmes from that company. It had a couple of episodes in colour - which gives it some interest beyond the B&W buyers. And there isn't enough girlie stuff released in the archive TV market. So bring it on, I say!

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Two good ones there Cornershop Kate and Justice both seemed to run for ages (must have been popular?) with two fantastic actresses of the old school but never get a mention or even shown in clip shows these days, and of course seven faces of woman which you have just made me remember.
    Off the top of my head I can add For Maddie with love with the brilliant Ian Hendry and Nyree Dawn Porter and Wicked Women a lovely coloured melodrama and then there was the one about the nuns.

ps. Love Story with all those popular actors like Peter Winguarde ,Dennis Waterman ,Dudley Moore,Alfred Burke etc would make a worthwhile release I would have thought for any DVD co.
    Last edited by Arfur Teacake; 21-01-11 at 10:13 PM.

Senior Member Country: Canada Zlatna's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    And one called "The Small Hours", with Patrick Macnee, Hannah Gordon and Penelope Keith which originally aired June 27, 1966. *whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine*

I know the the series was rerun or partially rerun at least once on UK Gold, because the final episode that I have of "Telford's Change" has a voiceover at the end saying that "Love Story" will be in taking over the timeslot.

Liked
    600 times
    Isn't it great to chat like this about our favourite people and the characters they play in the different series. I really have been transported back to the sixties and seventies when Kate, and the others yes I can remember it, were mentioned. Wouldn't it be fantastic if some of these classic series were released on dvd.

Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    Isn't it great to chat like this about our favourite people and the characters they play in the different series. I really have been transported back to the sixties and seventies when Kate, and the others yes I can remember it, were mentioned. Wouldn't it be fantastic if some of these classic series were released on dvd.
    You're lucky Elaine - I wasn't born when the series aired. Sobbbbb.

Interesting that Zlatna says it was re-aired - unusual for a black and white series. But if so, someone, somewhere, must have copies of some of the episodes. Feeling slightly more hopeful that it will be an achievable find for all of us searching for our favourites.

Liked
    600 times
    I guess you know why I asked for love story cornershop. I think if these series were available I would be in seventh heaven. Funny what makes us happy isn't it. Then again I have always loved old movies and the men and women who appear in them.

Liked
    600 times
    I am begining to realise I was born at a time when television was unfolding into something really special.

Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Teacake View Post
    ... and then there was the one about nuns.

Are you talking about the ill-fated Sanctuary, Arfur? The only other thing that comes to mind is the Armchair Thriller story Quiet as a Nun.

Kate and Justice are forever linked for the reason you alluded to - two "old school" actresses still popular enough to get their own series 30 years after their initial fame. And we musn't forget their contemporary Googie Withers, who had fantastic succes with Within These Walls (that's enough withs, I think!). This IS on DVD, as you know, so why not the others?

As enthusiastic as I am to see those series, Seven Faces of Woman and what survives of Take Three Girls are TOP PRIORITY for me, followed by Harriet's Back in Town (Pauline Yates), Helen - A Woman of Today (Alison Fiske) and, for about the 50th time, Marked (bloomin') Personal, with Heather Chasen and Stephanie Beacham. ALL 'Women's Dramas' and ALL unreleased. Coincidence? Even The Liver Birds has been ignored. What hope for Girls About Town? Actually none - or, indeed, Nun!.

Back to our subject. There are dozens of exciting stills to whet our appetites at Rex Features:

Love Story - 1963

Some amazing images there, including the Julia Foster-Rodney Bewes play I mentioned earlier. Just type in all the years from 1964 to 1973 and try your luck. You'll see most of the other years are covered (with the famous film Love Story taking up all of 1970). The majority of the pictures are in colour. This is a real feast.

Much though I've enjoyed this post - and the whole thread today (thanks to Elaine) - I am about to end on a sad note as the death of Margie Lawrence has been announced here by her husband. Marjie appeared in an episode of Love Story in 1964, entitled Beggars and Choosers.

I'm enormously relieved to discover that this also exists and there's the added delight that the equally beloved Avril Elgar was one of her co-stars. What a shame I had to find out this way. These might just be my favourite character actresses on television. Poor Marj. Have to worry about Avril now ...
    Last edited by cornershop15; 21-01-11 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Brought foward quote from Arfur Teacake's post.

Liked
    191 times
    No stills to interest me but a very nice find, cornershop :)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I have been collecting Jack Hedley like everything he is in, might disappear if I don't get it tomorrow.
    You probably already have it Elaine but Lucio Fulci's controversial New York Ripper (which starred a dubbed Hedley) is being reissued as a special edition DVD/BD by Shameless soon, though admittedly in the same cut print as before.

Liked
    177 times
    I am begining to realise I was born at a time when television was unfolding into something really special.
    A great amount of activity since I began my last post! You said it all there, Elaine. It's not only the variety of what was shown but the amazingly different ways the actors were photographed then. Thanks to DVD, we can see them on grainy black-and-white videotape, colour film, even grainier 16mm film (outside the studio), and colour videotape - which is what I grew up with in the Seventies.

Senior Member Country: Canada Zlatna's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been collecting Jack Hedley like everything he is in, might disappear if I don't get it tomorrow.
    About the same way I've been collecting Hannah Gordon

Ebay and Paypal love me

Liked
    191 times
    Nods. What would we do without eBay and PayPal ...

Liked
    600 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    You probably already have it Elaine but Lucio Fulci's controversial New York Ripper (which starred a dubbed Hedley) is being reissued as a special edition DVD/BD by Shameless soon, though admittedly in the same cut print as before.
    Yes I have got that Vincenzo, I was disappointed when I heard the awful dubbed voice. Jack has such a lovely deep English accent I was bound to feel let down. Surely Jack could have done an American accent.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast