Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Just saw these on ebay - Less than a day to go and I thought they might be of interest to someone?

***5 Unknown British Vintage Movie Film Stills *** on eBay (end time 10-Feb-11 18:31:34 GMT)

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I bet the Captain saw it.

1940s or fifties and not a cheapie B.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    I recognise Jack Warner from the 2nd & 3rd photo.....but haven't a clue with the others.......

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    One of the stills has Jack Warner and Marjorie Rhodes. At one time, you could put both names together on the IMDb and come up with the title of the film (if they only made one film together), but that facility doesn't seem to be on there now.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    One of the stills has Jack Warner and Marjorie Rhodes. At one time, you could put both names together on the IMDb and come up with the title of the film (if they only made one film together), but that facility doesn't seem to be on there now.
    It is - check down the bottom for 'Credited with'. The film is Those People Next Door, one of the very few 1950s films about the Home Front.

Liked
    0 times
    If you have two actors, you can skip going to the imdb first and just google the actors together. The movie will show up if they only made one together.

I know the Cap already answered it.

Sounds like a real snooze:

The Twiggs are a typical working-class family: Sam (Jack Warner) and Mary (Marjorie Rhodes) are trying to bring their family up in the shadow of the Blitz whilst taking everything in good humour. Their neighbours Joe (Charles Victor) and Emma (Gladys Henson) are constantly in the Twiggs house, borrowing a cup of sugar or using their Anderson shelter and between them the two working class families put the world to rights. But when their daughter falls for an upper class RAF pilot the Twiggs are asked by his mother, Lady Diana Stephens to tell their daughter to call the romance off, as the social gap between the families is too large. Incensed by Lady Diana s offer of money, Sam Twigg throws her out of the house. But events take a sudden turn as the war enters the Twiggs own living room. Will the two families manage to overcome their disdain for each other and let true love find its way?
    Last edited by will.15; 09-02-11 at 08:20 PM.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Captain and fast work, Will. I've no idea who's in the earlier stills, though. They look early 1930s to me.

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Thanks, Captain and fast work, Will. I've no idea who's in the earlier stills, though. They look early 1930s to me.
    Looks a bit Aldwych farce.

Liked
    492 times
    Could be Rookery Nook - IIRC they keep disappearing to play golf in the stage version and that's definitely Tom Walls and Ralph Lynn

Liked
    0 times
    Is the actress on the right Patricia Cutts in the first still? If so, it would be from the same movie.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    Is the actress on the right Patricia Cutts in the first still? If so, it would be from the same movie.
    Might be but it seems to be one of those films that might as well be lost so I doubt anyone can confirm for certain.

Liked
    0 times
    I was referring to Those People Next Door, but the two girls don't match up. Actually it looks like it might have been fairly amusing based on this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggB_dl-JxBM

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Could be Rookery Nook - IIRC they keep disappearing to play golf in the stage version and that's definitely Tom Walls and Ralph Lynn
    Not Fighting Stock?

Senior Member Country: Scotland bruiser15's Avatar
    Liked
    50 times
    For the Walls & Lynn ones could it be A Cuckoo in the Nest it seems to be set in an Inn?

Liked
    492 times
    There's a scene in Rookery Nook where the Ralph Lynn character hides a golf club down his trousers, though the exact reason escapes me. However there's quite a few Aldwych farces that haven't been seen for 60 years so who knows? I don't remember any golf in Cuckoo in The Nest but then it's a publicity still so I suppose it doesn't have to be a scene from the actual film

Liked
    151 times
    This is from Fighting Stock:

and:
    Attached Images

Senior Member Country: Scotland bruiser15's Avatar
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7 View Post
    This is from Fighting Stock:

and:
    Looks good to me, Why are you going on about golf CaptW he's carrying a fishing rod in the 5th one.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bruiser15 View Post
    Looks good to me, Why are you going on about golf CaptW he's carrying a fishing rod in the 5th one.
    I know little of these things - they all involve sticks and are utterly pointless

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    The first image (with the girl on the bicycle) looks to be wartime as the windows of the far house are taped over. Though strangely, those on the nearer house aren't.

Steve C explained about the code numbers on the prints, but I don't remember where he did it - here or PaPAS?

Nick

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Dando View Post
    The first image (with the girl on the bicycle) looks to be wartime as the windows of the far house are taped over. Though strangely, those on the nearer house aren't.

Steve C explained about the code numbers on the prints, but I don't remember where he did it - here or PaPAS?

Nick

In Those People Next Door, Charles Victor and Gladys Henson are feckless lefties who depend on their reliable Tory neighbours to provide a shelter. So it could well be deliberate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast