Senior Member Country: England seeall's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    With the sad death of Kelvin J Allen, 20 January 2011, the West End has lost one of its most experienced theatre managers. Kelvin followed in his father�s footsteps into the business and set very high standards in theatres of all sizes. He recognised that the theatre-going public had every reason to expect the respect of the whole staff of a theatre who help to make every visit memorable.

Allen had invaluable experience in welcoming dignitaries and celebrities as well as planning royal visits, including regular management of Royal Variety performances.
    His long theatre career extended to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane and the London Palladium as well as theatres on Shaftesbury Avenue.

While managing Drury Lane during the run of Billy with Michael Crawford, Joan Plowright specifically requested for Kelvin to be moved to the Lyric in 1975 when she starred in The Bed Before Yesterday, followed by her appearance in Filumena.

He was, in fact, managing the Lyric Theatre when his father retired and Kelvin took over the Queens from him.

He had by then established his reputation with company managers as having an unique ability to make artists feel at home in his theatres. This was particularly illustrated during the run of Another Country at the Queens which started the careers of Colin Firth, Daniel Day-Lewis, Rupert Everett and Kenneth Branagh.

After the long run of Buddy at the Victoria Palace, he finally retired and took on theatre consultancy work and lecturing. He was very pleased that one of his last talks was to nurses dealing with cancer patients as he had suffered a long and gallant battle in the intensive care unit at Worthing Hospital.

Allen, who was born on July 10 1939 and died on January 20, is survived by his mother, Vera (now aged 98) and his long-time partner John Causebrook.
    Last edited by seeall; 12-02-11 at 02:03 PM.