Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Not seen it for a long while,I could change my mind on it. I may be getting mixed up with a werewolf film which involved a private estate and cctv. I think it had film stops and questions to the viewer.

Frame.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frame69 View Post
    Not seen it for a long while,I could change my mind on it. I may be getting mixed up with a werewolf film which involved a private estate and cctv. I think it had film stops and questions to the viewer.
    That would be The Beast Must Die.

It's a pity Basil Rathbone never got to make The Blood Beast Terror...

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    The Beast Must Die is another classic Brit horror that has become a cult favourite.
    Back to Blood Beast; Yes it would have been interesting to see Rathbone in the film. I think it was literally a few days before filming started that he died.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markrgv View Post
    Yes it would have been interesting to see Rathbone in the film. I think it was literally a few days before filming started that he died.
    Basil Rathbone's last film Autopsia de un fantasma was made in Mexico early in 1967. In an interview his co-star John Carradine on the film said that working strenuously at such altitude at his age helped to bring about his death. He died shortly after finishing it.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I thought my question would prompt a range of opinion, and thanks for all the thoughts both plus and minus. Have to say I agree with Mustard Pies - the cheesiness really is part of the charm. I loved the way companies like Hammer and Tigon used rather crazy plotlines but nevertheless created some great atmospheres. These late 50s and 60s horrors somehow created -around the far-fetched plotlines themselves - really rather splendid versions of worlds/societies that never really existed - just look at films like the Reptile, the first two Hammer Frankensteins, the second Hammer Dracula and many more.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    I watched this again last night - after our discussions of it on here.
    I enjoyed it and think the production values are very good for what must be a very low budget film. The only bad part is the moth itself. It looks as though the production hired an 'Acme moth-man suit' from the local fancy dress shop! I take it for this reason they avoid showing it too much - as it is more laughable than frightening when viewed.

When the moth is flying they use a sound effect and the moth is unseen, off screen - this is a nice touch that works well.
    Peter Cushing is very good, as always, and i think the other cast do well. It's a good role for Glynn Edwards.

So overall, not a classic; not as good as the best Hammer films; but still an enjoyable watch if you like these type of British horror films.

Sergeant - "They'll never believe this at the yard."
    Inspector - "They'll never believe this anywhere!"

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post
    Basil Rathbone's last film Autopsia de un fantasma was made in Mexico early in 1967. In an interview his co-star John Carradine on the film said that working strenuously at such altitude at his age helped to bring about his death. He died shortly after finishing it.

Rathbone's flights and costume fittings in London had already been booked when he dropped dead and Flemying was drafted in literally at the last minute. An on-screen encounter between Rathbone and Cushing would have been worth watching (Cushing had already done Baskervilles and was about to turn out for the BBC series).

I'll admitt I have a fondness for it but only because of the memories it evokes, its a pretty dire film- but not Tigon's worst!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I watched this film mainly due to the fact it starred Peter Cushing and watched it with low expectations after all the bad reviews i read beforehand. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it, t's not a bad little film at all. I know im biased as i'd love anything with Peter in it but it's definatly worth a watch :-) although i do agree with markgv, the only let down is the moth itself.

Senior Member Country: England wideboy's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Haven't seen this since a late night TV showing in about 1974 but still clearly remember how awful it was - some nonsense about a vampire....moth.

Still, it'll probably look better in the correct format and it's always good to see Peter Cushing. No doubt other compensations will be provided by Wanda Ventham and Vanessa Howard, so I'll give it another go.

The Horror Channel, this Sunday 25th Sept 2pm; an hour later on HC+1

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I'd be interested to know if it's the full version of the film which is shown, wideboy, which had longer scenes involving the students' play.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Thanks for that wideboy. I think that it was on fairly recently as I recorded it, but lost it when my digi-box died and by replacing it I lost not only that but "Blood of the Vampire", and "Hound of the Baskervilles" to name but two. cassidy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wideboy View Post
    Haven't seen this since a late night TV showing in about 1974 but still clearly remember how awful it was - some nonsense about a vampire....moth.

Still, it'll probably look better in the correct format and it's always good to see Peter Cushing. No doubt other compensations will be provided by Wanda Ventham and Vanessa Howard, so I'll give it another go.

The Horror Channel, this Sunday 25th Sept 2pm; an hour later on HC+1

Member Country: England
    Liked
    3 times
    It may be awful but it does star the lovely Wanda Ventham.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    My vague memory is that it was fine until they showed the ridiculous monster-suit and that it was that unspecial effect which was the only rubbish bit; but it was all a long, long time ago.
    Last edited by Moor Larkin; 20-09-11 at 10:07 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Peter Cushing went on record to say that this was the worst film he ever made. A bit harsh, it's no worse than the average Brit horror flick of the period (it has some nice humour too). The student theatre production of Frankenstein was quite interesting. Oh, and Wanda Ventham does look gorgeous (see photo, click on it to enlarge).
    Blood-Beast-Terror-3.jpg

Liked
    182 times
    The Robert Flemyng role was originally to be played by Basil Rathbone. Rathbone vs. Cushing in the same film would have been very interesting.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    It looks like rubbish to me. Poor Peter Cushing, "It's all I have to work on." He might have been commenting on the parts he was being offered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi5hj...eature=related

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    One of Roy Hudds few forays into cinema. He didn't eclipse Royston Castle's genre films though.

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Roy Hudd's cameo as the mortuary attendant is one to savour. I love the bit where he gets a bit of gore on his sandwich and simply brushes it off before eating it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Hudd's autobiography says that Cushing re-wrote most of his scenes and made various suggestions. Everyone seems to have been in awe of Cushing in these films and he very much did what he wanted.

Liked
    182 times
    I think Peter Cushing also had large imput into his costume design and used to sketch his ideas on the scripts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12