Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This is probably a familiar film to lots of you lot but I caught this yesterday for the first time on Film 4. A great British "film noir" particularly worth watching for the brilliant, atmospheric location shots.

And there was a little schoolboy Christpher Beeney trying to keep his ears out of the wind.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    There is an excellent essay on this film by Robert Murphy (1 of 24 essays on 24

British films) in the recent book THE CINEMA OF BRITAIN AND IRELAND (edited by Brian McFarlane).....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. I went to the library to reserve it. Whilst I was there I had a quick flick through the 2007 Halliwell's. Of this film it simply said, "Dreary melodrama set mainly on a barge".... !!!!!!

Which is one of thr reasons I loathe that publication.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This film often gets poor reviews and suggestions that JM was miscast but I think it's pretty good and certainly a JM film I watch when it's on.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It's one of my favourite films .... great performances and atmosphere, a real gem!

Bats.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    It's one of my favourite films .... great performances and atmosphere, a real gem!

Bats.
    Could not agree more one of my favourites too, beautifully shot and acted.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Another film that made good use of real locations. Very good acting from John Mills and a strong cast which besides John Slater and Thora Hird included John McCallum, Elizabeth Sellars, John Chandos, Geoffrey Keen, John Horsley, Eva Bergh, Vida Hope and Harold Lang. A fine british thriller.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    An unusual British thriller and the estuary locations add interest.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    An unusual British thriller and the estuary locations add interest.
    Yes, I remember the first time I saw it I kept thinking how much it reminded me of Leigh on Sea and Canvey Island - then it turned out to have been filmed on the other side of the estuary!

Liked
    0 times
    It's so good to see this excellent film given a good write-up on here. It's very moody and atmospheric. The locations, in paritcular, give it credibility, as everywhere appears to run-down. I think the barge, where he goes to live gives a particularly good atmosphere to the film, as it suggests so much - outcast, desolate, broken life etc etc. Gripping stuff from start to finish and at least they don't do too much of the dreams/memories - just the right amount to tell the story, but the remainder happens in "real time". I love Thora Hird, as the "devoted" wife, coming to rub the unfaithful husband's chest with Vics, in the "mistress'" house!

I think, had the film been shot in colour, it wouldn't have had anywhere near the dramatic effect it does.

About time it was released, methinks, as it is very much an underrated classic. Let's face it, it's extremely rare to find John Mills in a not so good film and this one certainly isn't!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer
    Yes, I remember the first time I saw it I kept thinking how much it reminded me of Leigh on Sea and Canvey Island - then it turned out to have been filmed on the other side of the estuary!
    Yes, it was filmed on the Erith Marshes just outside Greater London. You can see the low flood berm next to the Thames - this was overtopped in the 1953 flood. It is now much higher as part of the flood defences downstream of the Thames Barrier.

D.