Thread: Paul

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    i saw this today and have to say that i found it to be rather unfully and very silly.I just cant see this lasting very long in the cinemas.they should have sent it straight to video.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    i saw this today and have to say that i found it to be rather unfully and very silly.I just cant see this lasting very long in the cinemas.they should have sent it straight to video.
    Is there a link missing here somewhere.....

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Sunshine View Post
    Is there a link missing here somewhere.....
    You can look it up on the IMDb. It's the latest offering from Simon Pegg & Nick Frost. Or should that be the other way around?

Steve

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    You can look it up on the IMDb. It's the latest offering from Simon Pegg & Nick Frost. Or should that be the other way around?

Steve
    Cheers Steve.......anything with Aliens interests me....

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    The clips I've seen look rubbish and very unfunny, ordinarily I quite like the work of these two, I'll probably give this one a miss.

Senior Member Country: UK HammerDave's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Not up to the standard of Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead, and the funny stuff is mostly in the second half, but I still found it enjoyable and it had a certain warmth and charm. Sci-fi fans will love spotting the in-jokes.

Liked
    7 times
    i have looked at the page for Paul again on IMDb. 48/88 have given it a 10 and 1/13 has agreed with my critical review.Somewhat of a polarising of opinions i would say.By the way i liked Shaun but fell asleep during Hot Fuzz.

Liked
    151 times
    Hot Fuzz has really grown on me with repeated viewings. For a comedy it's well plotted and there's plenty of character actor turns throughout to enjoy. I now prefer it to Shaun.

I had misgivings about Paul, both Shaun and Hot Fuzz work as Frost is the layabout leading the somewhat uptight (very in Fuzz) Pegg astray whereas in Paul they look travelling bums and there's no contrast. From the one review I read you need to be a real sci-fi nerd to get the in-jokes.

Liked
    7 times
    Yes DB that is the point.If you are into Sci Fi it is all very clear if not it is rather like trying to read a coded message.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    Yes DB that is the point.If you are into Sci Fi it is all very clear if not it is rather like trying to read a coded message.
    I'm not into sci fi in a big way,but I understood most of it and what I understood wasn't funny. Plus every movie cliche in the book was thrown in for good measure. And Pegg and Frost were too old for their characters. It was also homophobic and plagarised Men in Black.

GRAEME
    Saw this last night - a Christmas pressie DVD. I liked it more than I thought I would. I'd adored Shaun - one of the cleverest and funniest British comedy films of the last thirty years - but thought Hot Fuzz was a real step down.

This one is better than Fuzz IMHO, more cohesive and, despite its outlandish subject matter, more believable. The characters are all nicely drawn and their bonding is warm and sweet without being cloying, nicely undercut with a good hit rate of gags that don't become too gross-out for my tastes.

I found the SF references cleverly done - if you don't get them all it doesn't matter, it's just part of establishing the guys as a couple of nerds. Nice cameo from a certain leading lady strongly associated with the genre. Most of the budget must have gone on the CGI alien - and it really is a triumph! You soon forget he's an effect and start believing in him. He's engagingly voiced by the fine comic talent Seth Rogen.

I'd watch it again - which isn't something I'd say for Hot Fuzz. It isn't as good as Shaun, but would make a nice warm up for it as the bottom half of a very funny double bill.

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    There's quite a few "in" Gags in this film. Being into Horror and Sci-fi, I quite enjoyed it. It has a great title also....

Edit, Oh and I have watched it again, and it's still as good....

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I quite liked it, not bad at all. I've seen a lot worse. Simon Pegg is good in the latest Mission Impossible, brings some much needed humour to the proceedings.

Senior Member Country: England zettel45's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    I liked it more than I thought I would.
    Me too. Not as good as Shaun, but much better than Hot Fuzz. It had a warmth to it which was engaging, some good gags, and they managed to make the alien "wisecracking" while also keeping him likeable. It's amazing how many films fail to pull that one off.