Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    As requested by our Barbara, a thread celebrating the inclusion of Marquees in films and television shows.

To begin with, a shot from the classic ITV Playhouse production Rumour, showing what I
    think
    is the Dominion Theatre, where Battle of Britain premiered on 15rh September 1969:

Getting a clear image from this play has proved very difficult. The whole thing looks like it was made
    on 16mm film. But there isn't any blurring in this location shot - and the same date is clearly visible:

I think the actress Michael Coles is kissing is Rita Merkelis, wife of Jonathan Lynn, who also appeared briefly.

A newspaper date and the latest issue of Playboy are further indication that Rumour was shot in September and October 1969. I'm guessing this sequence was filmed at the Dominion Theatre just before the actual premiere. Could be totally wrong, of course. I wish I had some production notes for this brilliant drama.

One of the posters for Battle of Britain:

It's only a few days since I partly dedicated 'Records in Films' to Barbara. Perhaps Marquee B would be the appropriate choice this time?
    Last edited by cornershop15; 25-02-11 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Worried anout presentation.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    As requested by our Barbara, a thread celebrating the inclusion of Marquees in films and television shows. ....It's only a few days since I partly dedicated 'Records in Films' to Barbara. Perhaps Marquee B would be the appropriate choice this time?
    Hi, Cornershop,

First, thank you for the kind dedication(s). We should add HughJ and RickC (and others I'm sure I'm leaving out) for their photos of marquees and the films that were showing at the time. They are a fascinating look at the history of cinemas and films.

I have several photos in the Bogarde thread that were uploaded by Hugh and RickC. Perhaps they will upload them here, or I will. The photos are too interesting not to add in here.

Your recent threads on books, magazines, posters, paintings, and record sleeves in films (and on TV) are very popular. This one will be also. Thanks for all the work you do in opening these fascinating threads.

Barbara

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Great idea for a thread!

One of my favourites from Gorgo (1960):

The slumbering Gorgo on its way through Piccadilly Circus, about to pass the London Pavilion where The Mummy did indeed open on 25th September 1959. It's a significant film title for those of you who know the plot of Gorgo.

Liked
    182 times
    Not a "real" film, but John Landis used to try and get this one in as often as he could:

From An American Werewolf in London (1981).

I half-expected it to turn up in his Burke & Hare (2010) . . .

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc View Post
    Hi, Cornershop,

First, thank you for the kind dedication(s). We should add HughJ and RickC (and others I'm sure I'm leaving out) for their photos of marquees and the films that were showing at the time. They are a fascinating look at the history of cinemas and films.

I have several photos in the Bogarde thread that were uploaded by Hugh and RickC. Perhaps they will upload them here, or I will. The photos are too interesting not to add in here.

Your recent threads on books, magazines, posters, paintings, and record sleeves in films (and on TV) are very popular. This one will be also. Thanks for all the work you do in opening these fascinating threads.

Barbara
    Thanks for that Barbara. This thread is right up my street as you can imagine. I'll see what advertisements I've got that display the advertised film at the specified cinema giving dates of the playdates-we might be able to pinpoint the very day of filming-urgently seeking the Battle of Britain file I have, although we do know the date of that one.

The more frequent chances of being able to "advertise" the marquee-on-the-day will be if the presentation occurred between 1965 and 1985 when the Rick C archive was in full bloom during that period.

I've always taken notes whilst attending film showings over the years which has spotted everything "cross-media" like cereal packets on breakfast tables and brand images. I will have noted on many occasions the marquees which have appeared both in the narrative and by chance in the background but not having had then the video or even now the means of screen-capturing the relevant frames. If I put up the names and in many cases how far into the film the image occurs (approximately, if the info was put down in a darkened theater) might forumers have the very title and be able to snap it?

Our thread title is 'Cinema Marquees on Screen' (my italics) which suggests its not just feature films that are fair game. The British Pathe documentary site is a real bonus for spotting marquees. I don't just mean recordings of film premieres of which there are dozens on there but also the travelogues (mostly of tourist London in the 1950's and 60's) where a real juicy shot of a premier cinema gets captured by accident as it were, such as when the Pathe car is waiting in traffic. Dunno how screen caps can be got off there though, or from off Look at Life for example.
    Last edited by Rick C; 26-02-11 at 10:35 AM.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Thanks for that Barbara. This thread is right up my street as you can imagine. I'll see what advertisements I've got that display the advertised film at the specified cinema giving dates of the playdates-we might be able to pinpoint the very day of filming-urgently seeking the Battle of Britain file I have, although we do know the date of that one.

The more frequent chances of being able to "advertise" the marquee-on-the-day will be if the presentation occurred between 1965 and 1985 when the Rick C archive was in full bloom during that period.

I've always taken notes whilst attending film showings over the years which has spotted everything "cross-media" like cereal packets on breakfast tables and brand images. I will have noted on many occasions the marquees which have appeared both in the narrative and by chance in the background but not having had then the video or even now the means of screen-capturing the relevant frames. If I put up the names and in many cases how far into the film the image occurs (approximately, if the info was put down in a darkened theater) might forumers have the very title and be able to snap it?

Our thread title is 'Cinema Marquees on Screen' (my italics) which suggests its not just feature films that are fair game. The British Pathe documentary site is a real bonus for spotting marquees. I don't just mean recordings of film premieres of which there are dozens on there but also the travelogues (mostly of tourist London in the 1950's and 60's) where a real juicy shot of a premier cinema gets captured by accident as it were, such as when the Pathe car is waiting in traffic. Dunno how screen caps can be got off there though, or from off Look at Life for example.
    Hi, RickC,

Am I ever looking forward to what you discover and share here. I can spend hours looking at those old marquees and the cinema interiors as well although they're a whole new story.

Thanks again for the Bogarde items.

Barbara

Liked
    177 times
    Many thanks, Hugh, and to everyone else for their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Our thread title is 'Cinema Marquees on Screen' (my italics) which suggests its not just feature films that are fair game.
    That sentence is all italics now, Rick! I've been thinking about the title and can't decide whether to ask for it to be changed to 'Cinema Marquees', so we can include other pictures, or if I should start a separate thread with that title. What do you think? I'm leaning towards the latter as I suspect there are quite a lot to be found, more than we'd see in Films and TV Shows. This one, for example:

Crowd Awaiting Premiere of 'The Wizard of Oz' (1939)

Original caption: Pictured in front of the Capitol Theater on Broadway is part of the crowd of 10,000, mostly women and children, who surrounded the entire block to wait in line for the opening performance of the film The Wizard of Oz. The line began to form at 8 A.M. on August 17th and when the doors opened three quarters of an hour later, more than 6,000 were already in line.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 09-04-11 at 07:33 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    This is from A Kind of Loving, Alan Bates on his way to meet June Ritchie and the local cinema is screening Victim.

GRAEME
    In Dirty Harry - Eastwood walks past a cinema displaying the film: Play Misty For Me - his recently released directorial debut.

Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    In Dirty Harry - Eastwood walks past a cinema displaying the film: Play Misty For Me - his recently released directorial debut.
    Here he is.

Liked
    67 times
    This is from The Seven Year Itch, just before Marilyn's famous skirt scene.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times

From "Dillinger" 1973.

Manhatten Melodrama was the feature John Dillinger watched just before being gunned down!

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Though I can't find a picture, there was a marquee of a Ronald Reagan movie in the film, "Back to the Future."

Liked
    182 times
    A couple to be seen when Count Dracula and Countess Vampira go for the night out in London in
    Vampira (1974):

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    That second photo looks suspiciously like the Columbia in Shaftesbury Avenue, Gerald (Post#14)

'Black Gunn' was the second half of the double-bill everywhere to Burt Reynolds in "Shamus" first shown at the Columbia in early 1973 (before its General Release anyway, and that was 29 April of that year). Have got the clipping for this presentation at the Columbia, but folks may have to wait until October until I can get the relevant portfolio out of my store.

Liked
    182 times
    Thanks, Rick. That would seem to tie in with the production dates of Vampira, which incidentally was a Columbia release.

Liked
    177 times
    'The Snows of Kilimanjaro' (1952) in 'Turn the Key Softly' (1953)

You can tell I haven't seen many Cinema Marquees on Screen since I started this thread, almost two years ago.

The location is Leicester Square Theatre, possibly 21st January 1953. In that day's Daily Express, it's noted that
    this was the "last day" to see the film (I think!). Joan Collins was photographed by the press outside the cinema.

Gregory Peck had already starred opposite Ava Gardner in The Great Sinner and Susan Hayward in David & Bathsheba.

In addition to the main stars, you can see the cropped name of their co-star Hildegarde Neff/Knef (The Man Between):

A closer view of Joan Collins beside a (fake?) version of the poster:

She looks as if she's dreaming about it here but Joan later got to star with Gregory Peck, in the Western The Bravados.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 24-12-12 at 09:35 PM.

Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mulholland9 View Post
    Though I can't find a picture, there was a marquee of a Ronald Reagan movie in the film, "Back to the Future."
    Here are two shots of that scene with the marquee of the cinema showing Cattle Queen of Montana.
    Attached Images

Liked
    177 times
    In this scene from The Collector (1965), Samantha Eggar is in Belsize Park, where the Everyman is showing Ben Hur:

Her last moments of freedom before she is kidnapped by Terence Stamp, who's been following her in his taxi.
    Both films were directed by William Wyler. If this was an in-joke then it's one of the rare moments of humour.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 20-02-13 at 09:16 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    The Windmill and Lyric theatres are briefly seen in the Journey to the Unknown episode Eve (1968). At the latter, Ian Carmichael
    & Anne Rogers were currently starring in the musical comedy I Do! I Do!, while the cinema was showing In the Heat of the Night:

Dennis Waterman has stolen a dummy from the department store where he works, believing it to be a real woman (played by Carol Lynley! ).

According to the webpage linked below, it was known as The Windmill Cinema during this time. The play at the Lyric opened 16th May 1968. That same month, Rod Steiger had another film released in Britain, No Way to Treat a Lady. Was it shown as part of a 'double-bill' with In the Heat of the Night?

Mrs. (Laura) Henderson's Windmill Theatre

Thanks very much to Rick for his help with this post (confirming the cinema was the Windmill).
    Last edited by cornershop15; 26-04-13 at 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast