Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I can't see a thread about this (if there is one, sorry).
    I understand it is the subject of, at best, mixed reviews - if you like it, you like it, if you don't like Hugh Grant, you hate it, if you do like Hugh Grant, you think it was beneath him.
    But having just watched it again, there's a lot to be said for having another try at something Ealing did very well 60 years ago - the small film about small people finding a faintly ludicrous way round authority. Sweet, perhaps a bit too innocent for the time it was made, a few cracking performances (especially Ian McNiece, the shell-shocked Ian Hart and an eye-rolling tour de force from Kenneth Griffith), and Hugh Grant's stiff but drippy posh boy for once rather well placed.
    So why is it not celebrated enough at least to have its own thread here? Thoughts?

Liked
    151 times
    I'd say I fall into the camp of neither loving it or hating it. It fails on the Ealingesque battle against bureaucracy front, as did their later films, because Hugh Grant doing his mumbling bumbling Englishman routine doesn't really cut it as an authority figure. So it's a charming film with some nice scenery - tho I agree about Griffith and Hart.

I recall hearing a similarly themed play on the radio - only it was about laying train tracks through a Welsh village - darker too.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone like this film as much as I do?
    Its old world charm and simple story of cunning, deceit, friendship and love are, for me, quite beguiling.
    It does remind me of Ealing Studio films of yesteryear, such as The Lady Killers to name just one.
    I watched the latter last night and toasted Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom and Cecil Park with a cup of Yemeini Matari coffee from my equally film mad friends at the Tea and Coffee Emporium.
    Does anyone have other suggestions of similar films?

Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by conjurer1 View Post
    Well, there is the remake with Hugh Grant... (Actually, I've seen neither... yet.)

To address your question more directly, though, Netflix made some recommendations, and in the list they provided I'd recommend Waking Ned Devine. They recommended the Alec Guiness version of The Ladykillers as well. I've only seen the American remake with Tom Hanks in it, so now I have two MORE films in my Netflix queue.
    Last edited by MonicaMC; 08-03-11 at 12:38 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    BFI Screenonline: Ealing Comedy

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I hate Hugh Grant, his brother is slightly more tolerable - but not by much.
    It often amazes me that a, self confesssed, second rate actor can have gained such popularity.
    However it is the story that I love.
    I was not aware that it was a remake of an Ealing Studios version =and it makes perfect sense as it befits every good aspect of that studios creations.
    Loved most of Ealing Studios films; I suppose I may be slightly biased as I originate from Ealing and often used to view the studio from afar when visiting the library next door, alas both went some 3 decades ago and more.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I hate Hugh Grant, his brother is slightly more tolerable - but not by much.
    It often amazes me that a, self confesssed, second rate actor can have gained such popularity.
    However it is the story that I love.
    I was not aware that it was a remake of an Ealing Studios version =and it makes perfect sense as it befits every good aspect of that studios creations.
    Loved most of Ealing Studios films; I suppose I may be slightly biased as I originate from Ealing and often used to view the studio from afar when visiting the library next door, alas both went some 3 decades ago and more.
    Hugh Grant's brother? It's not a remake of an Ealing film BTW.

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Hugh Grant's brother? .
    Richard E obviously plenty of strange information lurks around the interweb

Richard E. Grant & Hugh Grant - half brothers???!!! :: Handbag.com

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A Pemberton View Post
    Richard E obviously plenty of strange information lurks around the interweb

Richard E. Grant & Hugh Grant - half brothers???!!! :: Handbag.com

Well, it's more plausible than anyone hating Hugh How could that possibly be true?

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    I can tolerate Hugh Grant but for me Kenneth Griffith is the best thing in this film. His hell and damnation reverend is simply brilliant.