Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Hi.

I am sure this was one where there were a few little stories in one film but not sure which one. I think it is a hammer,so no doubt someone will get it straight away.

One of the stories was about a couple who either purchased or were given an ornament which gave them three wishes. I remember the couple had a friend who tried to help them when one of the wishes went wrong.

I think the husband died in a car crash and the wife and the friend wished him alive again, but when he came back to life he was all tangled and couldn`t move, and had to lie in his coffin forever with a scream on his face?

Something like that anyway lol.

xx
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 09-03-11 at 07:21 PM.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    That is not Hammer, they didn't do that kind of movie. I am pretty sure without looking it up yet that is Tales From the Crypt by Amicus.

That was it, adapations of EC comic book stories from later Mad Magazine publisher and basically a plagarized version (because when it appeared in the comic book they didn't acknowlege the source) of W.W. Jacobs' The Monkey's Paw.

SPOILER WARNING

THE REASON HE WAS SCREAMING HE HAD ALREADY BEEN EMBALMED.
    Last edited by will.15; 09-03-11 at 07:37 PM.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Yes this is the excellent Tales from the Crypt by Amicus Films.
    It's available on R2

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Oh my goodness that sounds horrible ... makes note not to watch!

Liked
    416 times
    Thanks Will and Markrgv, no wonder I couldn`t find it looking under Hammer productions.

Yes, Didi, that`s probably why it sticks in my mind because it was so nightmare-ish.

xx

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I haven't seen that film for ages, but I seem to remember that just before the crash, the driver saw a motorcyclist with a skull for a face. I was bothered at the time because I seem to remember that the wife wishes that the accident hadn't happened, not that her husband come back to life, so his returning to life filled with embalming fluid didn't make sense - but I may be wrong about that. I've just remembered, too, that
      Spoiler:
    she tries to chop him up to put him out of his misery, but each part of his body remains animated ... and she definitely didn't wish for that

But anyway, it's the same film that has the legendary All Through the House Christmas horror starring Joan Collins, so is required viewing for everybody. By the way, on Imdb, it says "Robin Phillips was only cast as James because the original choice a British Horror Star was not free. " Does anybody know who the horror star was?

Liked
    0 times
    Rowdon, I haven't seen it since it came out, but I think it turned out he actually died from a heart attack just before the car accident so wishing the accient never happened didn't stop him fron dying.

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    Rowdon, I haven't seen it since it came out, but I think it turned out he actually died from a heart attack just before the car accident so wishing the accient never happened didn't stop him fron dying.
    Good point. But then, if she had wished the accident had never happened, then he would simply be dead of a heart attack, in the coffin. The only difference would be that he wouldn't be damaged. I think I meant that she wished that he hadn't died, not that he would come back to life ... Either way, I think we both need to see it again. I just wonder whether I can put myself through it at my age.

(I've just found it all on youtube ... yikes).
    Last edited by Rowdon; 10-03-11 at 10:38 AM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I was never quite sure what was the relationship between Robin Phillips and David Markham in their story. Father and son or partners?

Liked
    416 times
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 10-03-11 at 01:33 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    By the way, on Imdb, it says "Robin Phillips was only cast as James because the original choice a British Horror Star was not free. " Does anybody know who the horror star was?
    Peter Cushing was originally offered a role other than Grimsdyke and the role of Grimsdyke was expanded after he said he wanted to do it.

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541 View Post
    Peter Cushing was originally offered a role other than Grimsdyke and the role of Grimsdyke was expanded after he said he wanted to do it.
    But was that the James role? I mean, playing another role in the same film isn't usually classed as "not being free". You're probably right, but I wonder if some other horror star was asked ... and why doesn't the imdb name him?

Liked
    0 times
    There are not that many possibilites. How many horror stars were there other than Cushing? Lee and Price and arguably Gough.

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    How many horror stars were there other than Cushing?
    I shall throw this question open to the studio audience.

(By the way, I just watched the story again, and her wish does make sense ... sort of).

Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    But was that the James role? I mean, playing another role in the same film isn't usually classed as "not being free". You're probably right, but I wonder if some other horror star was asked ... and why doesn't the imdb name him?
    No. According to IMDB, Mr Cushing was going to play the character we have been talking about in this thread - "Ralph Jason" (played by Richard Greene). But after reading the script, Peter Cushing said he wouldn't be right and wanted to play Mr Grimsdyke instead.

I'll check in my Amicus book to see what it says...
    Last edited by markrgv; 10-03-11 at 05:25 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    From the Rick C newspaper archive here's the original 1972 advertisement for the said scary movie.

The Central London release date is 28 September 1972 until (for the Metropole, anyway) 8 November.

There is somewhere in the Rick C archive system a trade paper advert for the film printed in a ghoulish lime green colour which glows in bright sunlight. Bright orange was a colour used too on occasions. I need to know if everyone will be over 18 before I go hunting in order to post it......

Liked
    143 times
    That's quite a cast, isn't it!

Liked
    14 times
    Great poster

Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    By the way, on Imdb, it says "Robin Phillips was only cast as James because the original choice a British Horror Star was not free. " Does anybody know who the horror star was?
    Had a look in my book and it says that the person originally cast was Ralph Bates. But due to a clash in schedules with a Hammer film he was making, he had to turn it down.

Liked
    0 times
    Ralph Bates was a horror star?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast