Thread: Tightrope

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I am delighted that this TV serial from 1972 is now available from Network. It stars John Savident, David Munro, Spencer Banks, Mike Grady, Frederick Treves amongst others. It was written by Victor Pemberton and although made in colour is sadly only now available in monochrome. I have watched the first 5 episodes so far and I have found them very enjoyable indeed.

Member Country: Great Britain Lustgarten's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting. Is there much location work/footage Ian?

The promo trailer Network have put up on Youtube makes it look rather studio-bound.

Thanks

Lustgarten

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi there,

No not all that much location work. To be honest I didn't really notice that aspect of it. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again and was caught up in the story. Back then it was difficult to watch all the episodes of a serial. I saw a few of them but not all. I thought it was excellent - very like a Francis Durbridge thriller. The cast were in the main excellent. Though it was sad watching David Munro knowing that he is no longer with us. He became a high profile producer and director of documentary films mainly with John Pilger. I had enjoyed watching him and Judy Robinson in Orlando and one of the reasons I watched Tightrope was because he was in it. Watching it again shows me that I am right in say that there were lots of excellent drama series/serials back in the 1960s and 70s. As I lived through that period myself perhaps I enjoy them more than someone who was born later - I don't know. But I am delighted that Tightrope has been released and I hope Network release more drama from the 60s and 70s.

Member Country: England KAR120C's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I've just watched the first episode and the only location I recognised was the famous bridge over Tyke's Water Lake.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Apart from the fact it has teenagers in it, I think it is now quite atonishing (along with Ace of Wands etc) that this was a 5pm children's TV programme and how the producers use to do an incredible job (in the name of quality) with the miniscule budgets alotted for kids progs.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I'm up to Episode 3 of this series. Reminiscent of Spyder's Web from what I've seen so far (spy thriller, quirky humour). Furthermore, both were originally transmitted the same week in early 1972 and both featured John Savident. They have a tragic archive history as well, though Patricia Cutts' series fares slightly better with two surviving colour episodes.

Spencer Banks has really had it bad in terms of his (Cult) TV legacy. Alexander the Greatest, the sitcom he made with Sydney Tafler and Adrienne Posta, suffered an identical fate to Spyder's Web (2 out of 13 episodes remain in their original format), wheras Timeslip has just one from 26.

It was just as traumatic watching Michael Mellinger burn pages from the Daily Express at the end of Part 3 of Tightrope:

In the last couple of years, I've had access to their online archives so Mary Collins' column was instantly recogniseable:

Definitely the same article. Please click the link below to see the full page:

Daily Express, 30th November 1971 - page 6

Elsewhere in that edition is coverage (and a review) of the Royal Premiere
    of Nicholas and Alexandra. No. 1 thar week was Slade's Coz I Luv You.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 18-10-13 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Additional information.