Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Well its 50 years since the passing of George Formby and amazingly the BFI has missed a great opportunity to mark the event with a Blu-Ray release of one single movie. Much was made some years ago of George�s films by them with special screenings in London of newly restored prints but what of today? I attended all the screenings at that time and the print quality was superb and ideal for Blu-Ray today so why nothing as yet, or are these films not arty enough? Ideal for Blu-Ray would have perhaps been Let George Do It which is one of his most loved films also noted as top box office in its day.

Thankfully the BBC will shortly be screening a new documentary hosted by Frank Skinner to celebrate George Formby�s life, and I was privileged to be present at a pre screening last year so can give the contents full thumbs up unlike the atrocious 2 part radio programme recently broadcast with was full of inaccuracies. Perhaps the BFI needs to have a sharp rethink and issue a Blu-Ray of at least one movie from the super prints they hold of his films and the 1980�s London screenings are testament to this.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    What was wrong with the radio programmes? I've just been getting round to listening to my huge stock of recorded radio shows, after buying a B&W Zeppelin to listen to them out loud. I've heard the first show, but will catch up with the second sometime soon. I take it that we're talking about Alan Beswick's "Turned Out Nice Again!"?

Nick

Liked
    4 times
    Sadly the programmes and particularly the second part as I say were full of inaccuracies. The 2 hours of listening seems to have been largely lifted from the David Bret book but certainly more gossip than fact here. One appalling gaff is in programme two and towards the end where a historian speaks about George’s “come back special” and it being 30 minutes. If fact the programme in question was The Friday Show, considerably longer than 30 minutes and part of a complete series of show featuring other artists over a period of time. It was also later issued in truncated form as Solo Performance which is probably what the historian is on about so hardly something to base research on.

A far better radio programme was broadcast in 1975 I am pleased to say called Celebration and to my mind they would have been better broadcasting that to celebrate the 50th anniversary of George’s death than the recent 2 part effort.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The length of a radio programme doesn't seem that appalling What other inaccuracies were there? (I'm planning to listen over the weekend and would like to be forewarned).

Do the BFI own the rights to George Formby's films?

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Optimum would have the rights to issue the Ealing films.....

Liked
    4 times
    There is not enough space to list them all here my friend, but another gaff was when they said George Formby Jnr face was on his grave stone. In fact the grave stone at Warrington shows George Formby Senior. I went over to put some flowers on the grave and took this picture.

Back to the subject of a Blu-Ray George Formby issue.
    Last edited by Mr Pastry Time; 23-03-11 at 10:39 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    There was also a South Bank Show on him in the 90s and that was very good - in fact some of his siblings were still alive to talk about him

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I once met an elderly chorus gal who had worked with him in summer season who claimed to have seen Beryl helping him with his reading...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    sony would own the Columbia films.i would far rather the BFI concentrate on the many unseen films that they have in the archive than films which have alreadyv received a release and have been shown many times on tv.

Liked
    4 times
    I agree with you my friend, but I would have liked to see at least one Blu-Ray issued to commemorate 50 years since a top box office star left us which was my original point.

Liked
    4 times
    Talking of the FRIDAY SHOW. Here is the George Formby script he used.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post
    Optimum would have the rights to issue the Ealing films.....
    Exactly.

Feather Your Nest has yet to make it to DVD, let alone Blu-Ray...

Sadly I missed the recent two-parter, it's not on iPlayer anymore

But to say The Friday Show was 30 minutes is an easy mistake, if it is a mistake. I have the DVD release of that and it does run about that length. Of course I always assumed it was part of a series, as the title is quite odd for a Formby Special.

Can't wait to see the Frank Skinner docu - not sure why it wasn't screened for the 50th anniversary?