Thread: Gone to Earth

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I have done a 400 mile round trip to see one film. That was to see Gone to Earth in the village where a lot of it was shot and in the company of a lot of local people that had acted as extras in it (thanks to an ad in the local paper).

Screening GTE in Much Wenlock

May 2002

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Not this one, or not yet. It's a bit of a long walk from London

It's over 800 miles away.

I have done a 400 mile round trip to see one film. That was to see Gone to Earth in the village where a lot of it was shot and in the company of a lot of local people that had acted as extras in it (thanks to an ad in the local paper).

Screening GTE in Much Wenlock

May 2002

Steve
    cheers steve, I must take a look at this film

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    cheers steve, I must take a look at this film
    Gone to Earth is a romantic melodrama. Based on a novel. It's another of their "location films" like The Edge of the World, A Canterbury Tale and I Know Where I'm Going! where the landscape is almost like another character. Probably not one of their best ever films, it wasn't an original Pressburger story, but one from the second or third rank by P&P is still better than the best film from most people

It was made for Korda and Selznick but despite Selznick being in Britain for most of the period when they were making it, and his showering P&P with memos, when it was finished he decided he didn't like it.

Selznick sued P&P - and lost.

But it did turn out that he had the right to make changes for a US version. Consequently he had the film re-edited and some extra scenes shot in Hollywood to make the version known as The Wild Heart (1952). Selznick's changes are mainly adding: a prologue; scenes explaining things, often literally, by putting labels or inscriptions on them; more close-ups of Jennifer Jones. The most infamous of these are the scenes at the end when she is supposedly carrying a tame fox - in the additional scenes, Jennifer Jones is carrying what is obviously a stuffed toy fox. He also deleted a few scenes that he felt weren't dramatic enough. Sadly some of these were major plot points so the story doesn't make as much sense as in the original film. In his autobiographies, Powell claimed that Selznick only left about 35 minutes of the original film. In fact, about two-thirds remains intact.

Confusingly, the original British version of Gone to Earth was shown on British TV some years ago - with the title The Wild Heart

Gone to Earth was restored by a nice man who was working for Disney. But when he'd finished, the suits at Disney couldn't see how it fitted in with their corporate plans, so they put it back on the shelf! Luckily it was rescued and there's a very good DVD of the restored film available in the UK. The DVD comes complete with lots of "home movies" shot on what looks like 8mm, behind the scenes on location. But there's no soundtrack so it helps to know who everyone is.

Some people have accused Jennifer Jones of putting on a dodgy accent. When we showed it in Much Wenlock in May 2002 I made a point in asking the locals what they thought of her accent. They all agreed that although it wasn't perfect, it was a lot better than most English people manage when they try a Shropshire accent.

Apparently Jennifer spent a lot of time talking to locals, especially those that were acting as extras in the various scenes. A lot of them thought that was a sign of how nice and friendly she was, not at all aloof and not doing the big "Hollywood star" thing. Although I suspect that she might also have been speaking to them a lot to tune her ear to the accent

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Gone to Earth is a romantic melodrama. Based on a novel. It's another of their "location films" like The Edge of the World, A Canterbury Tale and I Know Where I'm Going! where the landscape is almost like another character. Probably not one of their best ever films, it wasn't an original Pressburger story, but one from the second or third rank by P&P is still better than the best film from most people

It was made for Korda and Selznick but despite Selznick being in Britain for most of the period when they were making it, and his showering P&P with memos, when it was finished he decided he didn't like it.

Selznick sued P&P - and lost.

But it did turn out that he had the right to make changes for a US version. Consequently he had the film re-edited and some extra scenes shot in Hollywood to make the version known as The Wild Heart (1952). Selznick's changes are mainly adding: a prologue; scenes explaining things, often literally, by putting labels or inscriptions on them; more close-ups of Jennifer Jones. The most infamous of these are the scenes at the end when she is supposedly carrying a tame fox - in the additional scenes, Jennifer Jones is carrying what is obviously a stuffed toy fox. He also deleted a few scenes that he felt weren't dramatic enough. Sadly some of these were major plot points so the story doesn't make as much sense as in the original film. In his autobiographies, Powell claimed that Selznick only left about 35 minutes of the original film. In fact, about two-thirds remains intact.

Confusingly, the original British version of Gone to Earth was shown on British TV some years ago - with the title The Wild Heart

Gone to Earth was restored by a nice man who was working for Disney. But when he'd finished, the suits at Disney couldn't see how it fitted in with their corporate plans, so they put it back on the shelf! Luckily it was rescued and there's a very good DVD of the restored film available in the UK. The DVD comes complete with lots of "home movies" shot on what looks like 8mm, behind the scenes on location. But there's no soundtrack so it helps to know who everyone is.

Some people have accused Jennifer Jones of putting on a dodgy accent. When we showed it in Much Wenlock in May 2002 I made a point in asking the locals what they thought of her accent. They all agreed that although it wasn't perfect, it was a lot better than most English people manage when they try a Shropshire accent.

Apparently Jennifer spent a lot of time talking to locals, especially those that were acting as extras in the various scenes. A lot of them thought that was a sign of how nice and friendly she was, not at all aloof and not doing the big "Hollywood star" thing. Although I suspect that she might also have been speaking to them a lot to tune her ear to the accent

Steve

thanks again Steve, that is one fine answer. Has the defenitive book been written on P&P?? If you had the time(I know you have the inclination) that would be some project(Or have you started on it already). Are you a writer??

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    thanks again Steve, that is one fine answer. Has the defenitive book been written on P&P?? If you had the time(I know you have the inclination) that would be some project(Or have you started on it already). Are you a writer??
    It'll have to wait until I retire

No, I'm not a writer. But I do write a lot

Steve