Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello all,

Does anyone remember, from perhaps 20 or 30 years ago, a very funny, short, black and white film set in a railway caf� with the following synopsis (which might not be wholly accurate in detail):

Man buys sandwich and/or cup of tea and sets them down at a table.

Man then visits the restroom or turns away for some reason.

On return, man finds woman sitting opposite at table.

Woman takes bite from sandwich/drink from cup.

Man indignantly takes sandwich/tea and does same.

Woman also looks appalled and does same.

And so forth. There is no dialogue during this exchange.

Camera eventually pans back to show the next table with an untouched sandwich sitting on it.

Could it be the Two Ronnies or just a spoof on Brief Encounters?
    Or have I posted this question in the wrong place?

Anyone know the title/year?

Kind regards

StJohn Weyers

Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsweyers View Post
    Hello all,

Does anyone remember, from perhaps 20 or 30 years ago, a very funny, short, black and white film set in a railway caf� with the following synopsis (which might not be wholly accurate in detail)
    I don't, but someone here is certain do, I would wager (if I were to wager, that is ). Here's a fave BE spoof of mine, which I've shared in a dozen places, including on this forum:

Victoria Wood BE Parody

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsweyers View Post
    Man buys sandwich and/or cup of tea and sets them down at a table.

Man then visits the restroom or turns away for some reason.

On return, man finds woman sitting opposite at table.

Woman takes bite from sandwich/drink from cup.

Man indignantly takes sandwich/tea and does same.

Woman also looks appalled and does same.

And so forth. There is no dialogue during this exchange.

Camera eventually pans back to show the next table with an untouched sandwich sitting on it.
    Hi.

Not a film, and definitely not a Brief Encounter spoof, but there's a scene very similar to that in the Douglas Adams novel So Long and Thanks for all the Fish apparently based on something that really happened to the author.

I believe there might be a Jeffrey Archer novel with a similar scene in it too. Maybe that's been adapted into a film or TV miniseries at some point? Unfortunately, I don't know which one. Sorry, I guess that's not much help after all.

P.S. I still think the best Brief Encounter spoof is in Harry Enfield's Norbert Smith: A Life

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    That's a gag that's been done by a few people. It's often told as a true story. When the stranger, who's been eating the narrator's cack or biscuits, leaves, not having said a word, the narrator discovers the cake/biscuits under his newspaper & realises he had been eating the stranger's food

As for good spoofs of Brief Encounter, I always liked the one in Goodness Gracious Me where they're saying goodbye on a busy Indian railway station, being interrupted by the chai seller and other itinerants. He finally helps her up onto the roof of the train

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    I am not sure if I saw the particular sketch or not. But some years back, Joan Collins was in a television series of short plays by Noel Coward. One of them was the play which was developed into the film of Brief Encounter. However, when I was in a concert party called The Leverstock Green Players, I was in at least one variety show which featured a spoof of the farewell scene. I can say it was funny and good, with out being accused of blowing my own trumpet, as I was not involved the comedy sketch. But I know that I laughed. When they first did it, they had a real life husband and wife acting as the lovers. I remember the man saying something on the lines of that he wanted to make love to the woman so badly.
    She then replied, 'But you always do!' What intrigued me, was she delivered her lines with such meaning.

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan french View Post
    some years back, Joan Collins was in a television series of short plays by Noel Coward. One of them was the play which was developed into the film of Brief Encounter.

. . .

However, when I was in a concert party called The Leverstock Green Players, I was in at least one variety show which featured a spoof of the farewell scene. . . . When they first did it, they had a real life husband and wife acting as the lovers. I remember the man saying something on the lines of that he wanted to make love to the woman so badly.
    She then replied, 'But you always do!'
    LOL at the theatre spoof.

I've seen "Still Life" (the play on which BE was based) and "Shadowplay" (the ending of which in part inspired the end of BE - that last immortal 60-90 seconds of film) from The Noel Coward Collection. (One of the DVDs - it was a 7-DVD series - was the whole of Tonight at 8:30.) The best part of "Still Life" IMO was John Alderton's portrayal of Alec -- seemed more down to earth. Also, Laura and Alec's parting was a bit more satisfying, as Laura leaned her cheek against Alec's hand as he passed by on his way out.

Thankfully, Joan Collins portrayed Myrtle Bagot rather than Laura. Would that she had had the sense to stay out of "Shadowplay" - that was pretty darn dreadful.