Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I recently achieved an ambition by treating myself, for a princely 28 squid (not bad considering its original price was �130 or something daft) to the entire TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED box set, and needless to say, have been loving it ever since. As Jim Steinman wrote for Pandora's Box before Celine Dion ruined it, "It's all coming back to me now". THE HITCHHIKER, THE FLYPAPER, LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER, FAT CHANCE, ROYAL JELLY, TASTE, NECK, MAN FROM THE SOUTH, PARSON'S PLEASURE, I'LL BE SEEING YOU...ah, what joys. To say nothing of Mr Dahl's wonderful fireside introductions.

However, when I posted this on Facebook, a reply from my old mate and fellow horror lover Tommy Kellett (no relation to director Bob) gave me cause for concern. He asked me, in all seriousness, if the set was "complete", that is to say, did it include any of the "missing" episodes: I told him that as far as I know, there were 112 episodes of TALES made and broadcast, and that all were present and correct in the box. Further research via Wiki, IMDB and Mauoleum Club would also seem to confirm this, although I know none of those are 100 percent accurate in [/I]every[I] respect. Yet he insists that the set is incomplete, as there are several "missing episodes", including, and I quote, "the one where Prunella Scales gets her knockers out", which the actress later disapproved of and sought to have destroyed.

Now, assuming this was sometime in the early 80s, when our Pru would have been in her early 50s, I find this highly unlikely, even given that she did enjoy a late-career saucepot milf rebirth in AFTER HENRY a few years later that same decade. Also, there's no mention of it anywhere on her IMDB entry either: a bit of advanced googling did reveal that she and hubby Timothy West (of, of course, ROYAL JELLY fame) did indeed read out some stories from Dahl's original TALES on the radio later on, but that's as near as things get.

The thing is, given that every source lists exact transmission dates and series lengths as given on the discs, I find it hard to believe that there were any "missing" episodes of TOTU, unless they were never broadcast, in which case, how could my mate have seen them? I did find that Pru had starred mid-80s in an episode of the ITV series UNNATURAL CAUSES, in which she "steams her husband to death in a sauna bath"- this would at least explain the nudity angle. I asked Tom if this was the case, and if he thought maybe he'd had an attack of the "memory cheats" which plague one when discussing vintage horror, scifi and cult TV retrospectively, which I've often had: the fact that both series' titles feature the prefix "Un" might have also been further reason to think this. But no, he says he's seen that series, remembers that episode, knows it to be a different beastie altogether from TALES, and remains adamant that there are several "missing" episodes.

So, can anyone enlighten me? Have any of you out there heard of any missing episodes, either featuring or not featuring Mrs West's globes? Have you maybe even seen them (the episodes, I mean)? Or is my mate under some gigantic delusion?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Ask him for more details, not of Prunella's knockers, but of the episode where he claims it happened. Then you can try to find out more information about that episode. Like if she was even in it or if this is just some fantasy

If he can give an episode title, date of transmission, description of the story or a mention of someone else who was in it, that should help identify it.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gurney View Post
    Yet he insists that the set is incomplete, as there are several "missing episodes", including, and I quote, "the one where Prunella Scales gets her knockers out", which the actress later disapproved of and sought to have destroyed.
    Welcome back, Jack (I think!), and congratulations on your long-awaited 400th post. Do you think your mate might be confusing Prunella Scales with Prunella Gee? I can't find any evidence of either of them being guests in Tales of the Unexpected but I'm sure the younger Prunella stripped off in another Anthology series, the episode Witching Time (1980). Could that be the one? She would have been 29 then but was much younger when she appeared nude in two episodes of Shabby Tiger. One of the few occasions she wasn't wearing That Darn Hat!

Liked
    129 times
    I NEED to see her tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    If you must know more about this subject, Ms S appeared very briefly topless, seen from the back, in a bedroom scene with Dave King (they were man and wife in the story) in this episode of Target, 22/09/76 (2.2):

"Target" A Good and Faithful Woman (TV episode 1978) - IMDb

For reasons well-discussed over the years, you will not be seeing that episode of Target, or any other one, on a legitimate video anytime soon.

As you are no doubt aware, out there in the internet are several wrist-spraining individuals who dedicate themselves to cataloguing such appearances by actors in film and television, so they will answer your question eventually.

Ms S's short scene was of note as she has avoided that sort "essential for the plot" disrobing (unlike the Usual Suspects), AFAIK (I don't know, I don't care, either). Perhaps the topic should move on to actors whom you *never* expected to see so much of, literally in the screen flesh; again, if you must.

I am reminded that posters crazed with lust for Rita Webb can see her in a flesh-colured body-stocking in Ken Russell's Richard Strauss Omnibus (which you will likewise not be purchasing legally now or soon - not until after 2019, I guess).

The tone of this thread could be further raised by turning it to discuss actors who really should have "put them back in", if not "kept them in" after "getting them out" - for "artistic reasons" of course?

Liked
    4 times
    I can think of SEVERAL who should have "put them back in"- Carmen Silvera in SEX CLINIC and Maggie Walker in SCREAM AND DIE spring to mind....

Personally, I'm not that bothered whether an actress disrobes onscreen- although obviously I can understand the excitement by Julie Andrews doing so IN SOB- but I always like to make sure that any box set I've either purchased or downloaded is as near to complete as dammit, so I felt that the question needed to be asked.

What's curious is that my friend, who is not usually given to flights of fancy, claimed, as I said, that this 'missing' episode was one of many errant editions of TOTU, but there appears to be no evidence of that anywhere, so we must conclude that the time-honoured "memory cheats" have got him. This is the same phenomenon that caused my mate Kev to mistake the opening sequence of the DOOMWATCH story THE RED SKY for a DR WHO episode, and led me to misremember the ending of THE COMEBACK and think that the 50s style rock'n'roll duo in Hammer's BLACK CARRION were a psych band. Quite often I've also remembered two separate plots of two different films together as one- and I know other people have too.

Of course, there's another theory that goes with this- that these aren't cheats or misrememberances after all, but portals into another dimension altogether, with alternative endings to the one we "know" now, which, due to "timeslips" have been subsequently altered in people's memories so that seemingly everyone, bar a few, remembers the new "past" rather than the "old" past. Not sure if I believe a word of it, but the inspiration for the plots to a few other cult TV shows may be located within....

However, as long as my box set is unedited and complete, I'm happy- I know that other companies, such as Playback, have a tendency to edit out anything with music on that they can't be arsed to pay for the rights to, leading to such atrocities as their JUST GOOD FRIENDS box set, in which the first 17 minutes of the Christmas Special (featuring several Rolling Stones tunes) are silent. The knockers, or lack thereof, are immaterial.

By the way, Westengland, does your name suggest that you are a member of the West clan yourself?

Liked
    11 times
    The original query sounds like a common kind of misremembering - a confusion of another appearance, possibly by another actor, in another programme of the same genre. As I said, no doubt, due to the "essential" detail re costume, or lack thereof, you'll eventually find out what the programme referred to was.

As for the other theory: its proponents should perhaps roll them with a bit more tobacco...

"A completely complete box set - could it exist?" is a title for a thread that would become a very long one.

My webname Westengland refers to, er, the west of England, which I consider as Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire and Dorset; it's my region and Gloucestershire is my county (so, for example, I have a major interest in films connected with that particular region and that particular county).

Liked
    4 times
    Are you, then, maybe also a fan of BUTTERFLIES, which was filmed and set in Cheltenham?

Liked
    11 times
    No, I'm not a fan of Butterflies (or the other series written by Carla Lane - not my kind of television drama) - and without meaning to sound precious, I'm not a "fan" of anything - I just don't have the fan/disciple/follower/etc mindset - however I have my likes and dislikes.

The West England/Gloucestershire films and TV (and radio) I am interested in researching are principally those up to about the nineteen-eighties, partly due to my tastes, partly due to better documentation from then onwards.

I use my local focus to get some order to my interests - I call it "fencing" - using biography as the main base, defining biography to include a film, a programme, TV channel, radio station, and so on.

So,randomly choosing examples:

Television: Softly, Softly (I could have probably, in due course, identified every location from the film inserts - if the episodes with them had survived; and I know what is now the historical background to the stories and settings used) and other series, serials and plays along with current affairs and news

Films: The Gloucestershire (which includes Bristol) set and/or location-shot films, actors, directors, producers, writers, techies, etc listed on IMDB - and the ones not listed there yet. By what is merely coincidence almost all the various elements of film and TV can be found in Gloucestershire for a number of reasons I won't list for brevity's sake.

Actors: the well-known, the little-known and the unknown. Glos actors turn up all over the place in all sorts of films; not that I would claim to be an "expert" - for example, I didn't know what of kind actor Michelle Thorne is or what films she's done (she won a award for her "performance" in one - when you find out what it is: *ouch*, *ouch*, *ouch*...).

To bring this thread back to its somewhat voyeuristic theme: both BBC Bristol and HTV were more relaxed about the appearance of what we can call "Prunellas" on their channels, including before the watershed, either in imported films and programmes or news, current affairs and arts broadcasts. As ever, somebody, somewhere, will have lists for those interested.

Beyond that I can't say or do much more at present due to poor health but I am planning a website(s) to offload all the information I've taken in (getting too close to ).

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Do you know Jack if Tommy remembers any other actors who might have appeared with Prunella Scales? It might help to narrow the field considerably if he does.

wec

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Love this totally un-PC thread, can I just add Diane Keen..... no!

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Love this totally un-PC thread, can I just add Diane Keen..... no!
    You certainly can for me!

wec

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    The lovely Diane was briefly topless in Sweeney! (1976). Lynda Bellingham also got her kit off. There certainly wasn't much else of interest in a pretty ropy spin off from the brilliant telly series.

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    The lovely Diane was briefly topless in Sweeney! (1976). Lynda Bellingham also got her kit off. There certainly wasn't much else of interest in a pretty ropy spin off from the brilliant telly series.

Do you think so? I love that film. For those interested Diane is very naked in The Sex Thief. I couldn't look, of course!

wec

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons View Post
    Do you think so? I love that film. For those interested Diane is very naked in The Sex Thief. I couldn't look, of course!

wec
    I did wonder when someone would mention that....LOL 'Usual suspect'!!

Smudge

Liked
    4 times
    I'm fond of Ms Keen's attributes myself, although if she were to display her dample cleavage now I think I might turn the other way. Totally unrelated, but when I was a kid I used to cosntantly conffuse her with Diane Keaton.

I shall ask Tom if he has any ideas bout the actors involved, but I bet he doesn't.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons View Post
    For those interested Diane is very naked in The Sex Thief. I couldn't look, of course!
    That makes two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gurney View Post
    Totally unrelated, but when I was a kid I used to cosntantly confuse her with Diane Keaton.
    I liked Diane Keaton in her suit (Annie Hall), but not Diane Keen hirsute.

A big mistake to go full frontal in the 1970s
    Last edited by cornershop15; 03-06-11 at 05:47 PM.

Liked
    4 times
    This mystery was solved in the end. The episode featuring the disrobed Ms West was of UNNATURAL CAUSES, not TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED. My friend had confused two different programmes with 'un' in the title. Like you do.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    How funny. I just randomly thought about this the other day! I definitely remember seeing Prunella Scales in a episode of Tales of the Unexpected, and she was definitely taking her clothes off and getting into bed with a bloke. I think the bloke was Bill Nighy and you definitely got an eyeful!

Senior Member Country: UK eyeloveTV's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Favourite Tales of the Unexpected episode - Galloping Foxley! ...... and based on a true story according to Roald Dahl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast