Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Why is this film never shown on TV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14lGiLoAXEw

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    It was shown here in Australia once about 15 years ago maybe but I never saw it on British TV when I lived there.

Luckily a very nice forum member sent me a copy sometime ago! A fine film!

Liked
    151 times
    It used to be on one of the now defunct satellite channels nearly every fortnight. I thought it a bit flat and lacking the suspense of a good espionage film.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I actually quite like Assignment K. Not a bad spy film and it does have a good cast list. I love the film music by Basil Kirchin. Great stuff!

I have the UK quad poster in my collection as well as some lobby cards and pressbook which I have uploaded below

Senior Member Country: England wideboy's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    It was shown (as DB7 says) on the short-lived Simply Movies channel, which showed only films from the Columbia/Sony library, most of which hadn't been seen on British TV or anywhere else for many years. Many of these titles (but not, alas, Assignment K) were then released on DVD in the US through Columbia Classics Movies on Demand, using first rate prints in the correct format.

I'm sorry they didn't release K as Simply showed it pan and scanned, but it was good to see it again. A lot of people, including me, seem to like it, perhaps for nostalgic reasons.

Sixties spy films (a TV staple when I started getting into films in the early 70s) have disappeared from British TV - I suspect the programmers regard them as too dated to have general audience appeal.

Liked
    4 times
    Those programmers need to have their heads tested - how can any film that features Camilla Sparv not have audience appeal?

Liked
    4 times
    This is another one in the same genre that I've never seen, but would love to:

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doojeen View Post
    This is another one in the same genre that I've never seen, but would love to:

Doojeen, there's a feature on Danger Route on the "CinemaRetro" site within the past 10 days. Will post up the link later unless others get there first.

Can't get into my memorabilia archive for quite a few days yet, but Danger Route became known as the other half to a double-bill with the John Sturges' Wyatt Earp movie "Hour of the Gun" for the majority of its UK release back in the 1960's.
    Last edited by batman; 11-06-11 at 07:39 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Referring to my posting on 'Danger Route' a few hours ago, the CinemaRetro feature refers to an earlier article on "Cinebeats" the direct link to which is here following:-

C I N E B E A T S :: Seth Holt’s DANGER ROUTE (1967) :: May :: 2011

But back to "Assignment K" in the meantime, which I think is a first-rate little thriller which rattles along at tremendous speed owing to very classy photography and extremely tight cutting. It even has on the YouTube trailer the voice-over by one Telly Savalas whose pronounciation of the name 'Kitzbuhel' makes the place sound both divine and deadly simultaneously! Maybe its what got him the job filming IN Kitzbuhel a few years later in the snow-thriller daddy-of-them-all, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"?

Inevitably, I think 'Assignment K' suffered in comparison with a number of films all at the same time which featured either the same identity of the leading character, location shooting,or plot twist at the end also. Taken in that order: British/American businessman visits trade fair in East European/East of the Matterhorn country (Frank Sinatra in "The Naked Runner" for that one). Said leading character partakes in ski chase (Yul Brynner in "The Double Man" and Doris Day in "Caprice" which incidentally ran head to head with each other in the last week of May 1967 at the Warner and Odeon, Leicester Square simultaneously), and finally the film reveals its script destiny by way of a bomb in a fashionable stately home/apartment. That last coincidence comes c/o "Nobody Runs Forever" which ,blow me down, also has both Camilla Sparv and Leo McKern up there as leading players.

The memorabilia site "MovieGoods" has loads of stills and advertisement for this title, and our fellow forumer Joe Fraguela just a few days ago has a collection also (but the posting doesn't seem to lead us to them)

But the real bonus with "Assignment K" is, as noted earlier, the music. Another Basil Kirchin gripper!
    Last edited by Rick C; 11-06-11 at 09:58 PM.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times