Member Country: Ukraine
    Liked
    0 times
    In-Heidi2.jpg 2Melomania: Thanks!

Liked
    0 times
    hitler-C.jpg Hitler - the trunk added
    Last edited by RimS; 19-05-13 at 02:54 PM.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Thank you again to RimS and melomania for your amazing efforts in finding - and trying to find - the original images. Great work with the Einstein photos. I was quite hopeful with my Tyrone Power choice, where he's posing with first wife Annabella, but think the last picture may well be the one.

I'm confused by that one of Shirley Temple though. The cut-out that's placed next to Diana Dors is from her film Bright Eyes (a favourite discovery of mine), but I don't think I've seen your image anywhere on the Sgt. Pepper cover. Does it appear in photographs where the collage is being put together? A number of subjects are obscured in the finished version (e.g. Bette Davis) and others removed, including Hitler.

Keep up the good work. I doubt I can offer much more, with so many other commitments, so am grateful to those who've spent hours looking.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 20-05-13 at 03:06 PM.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I have always believed that the Dion picture on Sgt Pepper was the cover of his LP "Donna the Prima Donna". Allowing for touching up, I still think I'm right.

Dion Pepper.png Dion Donna.png

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    !Cover_cr.jpgI'm confused by that one of Shirley Temple though. The cut-out that's placed next to Diana Dors is from her film Bright Eyes (a favourite discovery of mine), but I don't think I've seen your image anywhere on the Sgt. Pepper cover. Does it appear in photographs where the collage is being put together? A number of subjects are obscured in the finished version (e.g. Bette Davis) and others removed, including Hitler.
    Used advertising photo for film "Heidi" (1937)

Liked
    0 times
    "I have always believed that the Dion picture on Sgt Pepper was the cover of his LP "Donna the Prima Donna". Allowing for touching up, I still think I'm right."

It's trueFrom MCopper Book.jpg
    Last edited by RimS; 20-05-13 at 05:24 PM.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RimS View Post
    "I have always believed that the Dion picture on Sgt Pepper was the cover of his LP "Donna the Prima Donna". Allowing for touching up, I still think I'm right."

It's trueFrom MCopper Book.jpg
    Good LP too!

May I just hijack the thread for a moment to post this ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGVFZNCbZI

Thanks!

Junior Member Country: Mexico Melomania666's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much Cornershop. :)
    I totally agree with Rowdon! I'm pretty sure that's the right image of Dion.
    And to RimS, that image with Lenny Bruce and the LP is great! Where did you get it? (by the way, I sent you an email, I'm not sure if you received it)
    Good Job!

Back to topic. I'm still looking for the missing pictures, but while I was looking through all these pictures and stuff I asked to myself:
    Where are the original standees and cutouts? The only one I had seen so far was Marlene Dietrich and Tom Mix standee, not to mention the wax figures, but, where are the rest of them? It seems that they just disappeared without trace. I started to research and this is what i have found:

-The Tom Mix standee is being auctioned on this site: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1082139

-Tony Curtis's cardboard belongs to the Tom Fontaine collection.

http://www.rockandrollinvestments.com/credentials.html

-You can see the Lewis Carrol head, behind John at Kenwood. (currently missing)

-This is another image of Kentwood front door, note the cutout of Stuart Sutcliffe in the window:

Junior Member Country: Mexico Melomania666's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    -Tree of Life from Metepec at Kenwood:

-The Sgt. Pepper's drum heads were located also at Kenwood

The one which appears on the cover was sold recently, maybe John gave them to someone as a gift (who knows?)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7500041.stm

-This picture of Huxley's cutout was taken at the Hard Rock Hotel. I'm still not sure if this is the original one...

...but I find this interesting article:

"Hard Rock Caf�s Annie Balliro, Senior Director... Balliro will bring eight original cardboard heads from the cover shoot for the Beatles� Sgt. Pepper�s Lonely Hearts Club Band"... read more: http://www.icaboston.org/programs/ta...tours/balliro/

Well, this is all I've found so far, Hopefully we could see more surprises soon.

Liked
    177 times
    Yet more incredible discoveries, melomania! I haven't even seen those photos of The Beatles before (thousands in my collection). That one of Stuart Sutcliffe is even more haunting when seen 'staring' out of the window. Wikipedia pages for Tree of Life and Metepec, a city in Mexico, both mention the album cover, with the latter noting its contribution to their "popular culture":

The original village of Metepec regards the Tree of Life as representative of this municipality and some local workshops still produce this brightly painted pottery artifact. The album cover of the Beatles' 1967 record Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band features a Metepec Tree of Life.

As well as Sgt. Pepper, there's still more to do with the Beatles for Sale collage (what happened to Dr. Tomoculus, whose idea it was to find the originals?). But no-one's mentioned the poster that came with The White Album! That's another ambitious challenge for us Beatles fans. Can we track down all of those pictures? I hope to start a thread next week. Now I can send private messages to yourself and RimS, I'll make a list of some lesser known photo sites that might help us with so far elusive subjects.

Thank you for all you've done so far. And also to RimS for explaining why a second Shirley Temple was added. Last week, I received the Series 3 DVD of her Storybook series from America.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 24-05-13 at 07:50 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    OrlandoL.jpg It's Hard Rock Cafe's Pepper-collection.

Liked
    0 times
    Orlando1b.jpg And they were part of the Orlando Hard Rock Cafe's interior, at least in 2011 year.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks very much, RimS. The gnome is a bit scary. I haven't time to explore this now (and the European Cup Final will be starting in a few minutes) but I'm sure I read somewhere of a connection between the image of 'Richard Merkin', who is behind Dion DiMucci in that display, and Hitler. If you look closely, you'll see a resemblance I think. Again, this is something I picked up from a book. I've probably mentioned this before, in an early post. That reminds me ...

I do apologise to Gogglebox and Gretsch for forgetting that they'd already found the Bette Davis and Marilyn Monroe pictures. It was Gogglebox who made the surprise discovery of American actor Timothy Carey (in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing). A bizarre inclusion.

Just found this, via a Google search ...

Hitlers double is on the cover of sgt pepper

On the cover of pepper lennon suposedly wanted hitler.He didnt get it.What he got was hitlers double with a bowler and a fake mustache maskeradeing as charlie chaplin.
    The fact its a double and not the real hitler i find very telling.No coincidence.
    There is a black and white picture of the makeing of the photograph.There is a asian woman in the shot in this picture it is very easy to see its hitler and that the face does not match up with the real hitler.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Re: Hitlers double is on the cover of sgt pepper
    Post by flycrobat on Jun 27, 2008, 12:16pm

alpa6,

As far as I can tell, Chaplin doesn't appear on the cover of Pepper.

Are you referring to Richard Merkin?

He's wearing a hat and mustache, and is in the back row between Fred Astaire and the Varga girl.

He actually does look a bit like "old, medal-pinning Hitler".

I'll have to come back to this. The match has already started.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 25-05-13 at 07:51 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Peter Blake's.jpg From Peter Blake's collection

Member Country: Canada Gretsch66's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having issues opening up the images to enlarge. I am trying to see the Tommy Handley pic that RimS uploaded.
    RimS can you contact me at nicemeankitty@gmail.com please. Thank You.
    Last edited by Gretsch66; 15-06-13 at 08:02 AM.

Liked
    177 times
    Welcome back, Gretsch. From the film It's That Man Again (1943):

Still trying to get The White Album thread started (problems with the introduction). Already found about a dozen items from the montage.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 15-06-13 at 08:13 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Welcome back, Gretsch. From the film It's That Man Again (1943):

Still trying to get The White Album thread started (problems with the introduction). Already found about a dozen items from the montage.
    Oh thank you so much. Not sure why I cannot grab these from the forum in their enlarged format.
    Last edited by Gretsch66; 15-06-13 at 09:04 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    So, Issy Bonn and Wallace Berman? Any luck?
    Did a quick photoshop of Einstein with a comp of both session photos.
    Einstein.jpg
    Last edited by Gretsch66; 15-06-13 at 09:13 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    A little bonus here. I did a revision of Revolver with some artwork that Klaus did as of late. This is a more photo-realistic version that I manipulated into the original cover and I also sourced many of the original photos to make it more higher in resolution.
    Revolver 2013 remake additions 3b.jpg

Liked
    0 times
    It's my work with big help of my friends from beatles.ru. Sorry, but I can't insert largeness picture...
    http://www.beatles.ru/postman/forum_...type=0&cpage=4Revolver_sourceW.jpg

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast