Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Member Country: Ukraine
    Liked
    0 times
    WithBobbyBreen.jpghttp://marilynknowlden.com/MarilynKn...the_River.html
    Bobby Breen with Marilyn Knowlden in "RAINBOW ON THE RIVER"(1936)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post

As well as Sgt. Pepper, there's still more to do with the Beatles for Sale collage (what happened to Dr. Tomoculus, whose idea it was to find the originals?). But no-one's mentioned the poster that came with The White Album! That's another ambitious challenge for us Beatles fans. Can we track down all of those pictures? I hope to start a thread next week. Now I can send private messages to yourself and RimS, I'll make a list of some lesser known photo sites that might help us with so far elusive subjects.

Thank you for all you've done so far. And also to RimS for explaining why a second Shirley Temple was added. Last week, I received the Series 3 DVD of her Storybook series from America.
    Apologies apologies! I know, it's been awhile since I've been here. Someone sent me a link to the finding of the Petty images, which was a great find. I know I searched hours for that image or anything like it. After taking at least 2 hours and contacting the Vargas Estate (to no avail) eventually finding Anna Mae Clift "The Vargas Girl" was a huge relief.

Other research has taken precedent as of late, but I do mean to come back to this, because I'm pretty sure it all ties in with what I've been reading the past 4 months or so. :)

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    I have always believed that the Dion picture on Sgt Pepper was the cover of his LP "Donna the Prima Donna". Allowing for touching up, I still think I'm right.

Attachment 13367 Attachment 13368
    I am in full agreeance with you on this, and if not full then 99%. His head position and the facial characteristics all agree. It just looks like the cut out has been "squashed" a little bit, possibly using a different source for the image than what appears on the cover of Donna the Prima Donna.

Liked
    0 times
    And I just mean by "squashed" that --
    take a look at the original photo of Stuart Sutcliffe, and then the one used on the Sgt Pepper cover. His features appear wider, when he was in truth, quite a lean person in face and frame. The cut out looks "widened". I believe the same with the Dion picture. I believe that's Donna the Prima Donna, because the other picture of Dion believed to be "the one" --- the angle of his head is wrong, he's too far left, if only by a few degrees. My vote remains for Prima Donna.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Welcome back Doctor, and thanks again to RimS and to Gretsch for the Revolver post. Have you all seen The White Album thread I created a few weeks ago? After less than 24 hours activity it suddenly ground to a halt! Hope you can add something there.

Just to remind/enlighten folks, I've brought forward some of the subjects you mentioned in the last few posts, Doctor:

I think RimS got there before Rowdon with the Prima Donna cover, as the source for the second image of Dion :

With Terry Southern and Tony Curtis. Credit to Jim for that and the Stuart Sutcliffe comparison (rhymes with Harrison!):

Joined by Aubrey Beardsley, and possibly two of The Petty Girls?.

Below Albert Stubbins is Bobby Breen, who's next to Marlene Dietrich on
    the Sgt. Pepper cover and Marilyn Knowlden in Rainbow on the River:

I found the montage photo of Bobby here:

Nothing Is Real: Paul Was Replaced

Direct link:

People In Sgt. Pepper's cover

Liked
    177 times
    I have nothing new to add regarding the Sgt. Pepper cover, but while looking for a number of still-elusive Record Sleeves in Films and
    TV Shows circa 1965, I chanced upon the original photograph used for Rubber Soul. Or is it photoshopped, as some have suggested?:

Either way, it's a spectacular picture. The last of The Beatles' album covers to be photographed by Robert Freeman:

Uncropped, undistorted Rubber Soul cover - The Beatles Bible | Facebook (original source I think)

My father had a jacket very like John's. It's attracted a lot of interest at this
    site, which includes other pictures of the Beatle wearing it throughout 1965:

FAMOUS ROCK/ROLL IMAGE OUTTAKES vol 2: RUBBER SOUL

On the subject of Record Sleeves in TV Shows, where I'll be posting later, The Beatles album Help! can be seen in Episode 2 of The Gold Robbers (Sally Thomsett's bedroom). The LPs I'm finding impossible to track down are from The Family Way and The Sandwich Man. I've managed to get most of them but hope some of our experts here, who also have a keen eye for detail, can help identify the remaining few - especially the mysterious black man in the first of those films. Screencaps to follow at Record Sleeves in Films.

Please Help!
    Last edited by cornershop15; 12-11-13 at 07:33 PM.

Member Country: Austria
    Liked
    0 times

A superb thread, well done cornershop and all those who worked so diligently on it. I haven't got around to reading it all yet, but I shall do. This may have already have been posted, the original concept for the inner gatefold sleeve by The Fool, but it's worth a look again.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks very much, Hugh. Welcome back, after all this time. An attractive and colourful painting by The Fool. I've always liked the mural they designed for the Apple boutique, at 94 Baker Street.

During the afternoon the Sgt. Pepper cover was photographed, ITV transmitted Romper Room (presented
    by Miss Rosalyn) Junior Criss Cross Quiz (with Peter Wheeler), and How, ft. Bunty James & Fred Dineage:

The other presenters were Jon Miller and Jack Hargreaves.

30 March 1967: Cover shoot for Sgt Pepper | The Beatles Bible

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone. My first post here. I have been following this brilliant thread for some time now. Some great detective work going on!
    Here is my contribution. I found what i believe is the image of H.C.Westermann from the cover of Pepper the other day. Let me know what you all think.
    Attached Images

Liked
    177 times
    Welcome, danjo. I'm afraid that image has already been posted (#131, page 7)), by RimS, but Thank You for your interest in the thread.

Just had a thought ... As you were viewing as a Guest before joining, you couldn't have seen it. Only members can view attachments.

Liked
    0 times
    Ah, yes of course. Drat! Sorry about that. Thanks for the welcome Cornershop. Nice to be here

I found a photo of the bizzare cartoon like image of Oliver Hardy featured on the Pepper cover. This is the actual cut out used on the album cover, and is hanging on the wall of some Hard Rock Cafe type place in the states. Thought i would post an image of it here just out of interest.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by danjo; 24-01-14 at 10:49 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    Hello again. Thank you for finding the original cut out. A few of them have turned up at this thread (Tom Mix, Marlene Dietrich). I've never understood why that was chosen to represent Oliver Hardy when the picture of Stan Laurel is so familiar. The moustache isn't noticeable on the cover. Now we have a bit more detail, I think it's from a movie poster.

Good find
    Last edited by cornershop15; 28-01-14 at 01:13 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Cornershop. I think you may be right about the Oliver Hardy image being from an animated film poster. Still, it is certainly not the best cartoon image of Oliver i have ever seen. Why on earth they used this image on the Pepper cover has always been a complete mystery to me. I suppose Peter Blake is the only one who would know why they chose it.

Member Country: Canada Gretsch66's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    BW Hardy.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Hello again. Thank you for finding the original cut out. A few of them have turned up at this thread (Tom Mix, Marlene Dietrich). I've never understood why that was chosen to represent Oliver Hardy when the picture of Stan Laurel is so familiar. The moustache isn't noticeable on the cover. Now we have a bit more detail, I think it's from a movie poster.

Good find
    Nope. Not from a movie poster.
    The answer is Mr Blake loves to collect stuff and this is his inspiration to rearrange the bits of his collections into collage. If you follow his career, you will know this. You can call Pepper a jigsaw puzzle of sorts and the pieces are the lives of many. I am planning on revealing my 3 years of research into this cover in the next year or so. Thank you for creating this thread, it has filled in a couple blanks of things required.
    Last edited by Gretsch66; 10-02-14 at 10:17 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks very much gretsch, and good luck with the book. I hope you'll acknowledge those who've tracked down the originals (ourselves included).

Fascinating to compare the latest amazing find with the version we all know and ... hate!:

How much of that is due to his eyebrows almost disappearing? Also omitted are the 'kiss curls'.

It was announced today that Sgt. Pepper subject (and Hollywood legend!) Shirley Temple haa died, aged 85. I think she
    appears three times on the cover: as Heidi, as the Rolling Stones doll (?) and in this publicity still for Bright Eyes (1934):

R.I.P., Shirley

Was she the last surviving female subject? All the others I can think of are male - Dion, Bob Dylan, Larry Bell, Bobby Breen ... Who else is left?
    Last edited by cornershop15; 11-02-14 at 08:22 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretsch66 View Post
    BW Hardy.jpg

Nope. Not from a movie poster.
    The answer is Mr Blake loves to collect stuff and this is his inspiration to rearrange the bits of his collections into collage. If you follow his career, you will know this. You can call Pepper a jigsaw puzzle of sorts and the pieces are the lives of many. I am planning on revealing my 3 years of research into this cover in the next year or so. Thank you for creating this thread, it has filled in a couple blanks of things required.
    Three years of research? Brilliant stuff Gretsch66. I have always thought an in depth book about the Pepper cover is long overdue. I Look forward to hearing more about your research, as i am sure we all do!

Liked
    0 times
    This is the Mae West image.
    It comes from NIGHT AFTER NIGHT (1932)

Night1.jpg

Liked
    0 times
    This figure appears in the uncropped versions of the Sgt Pepper cover. Ironically, with an album steeped in Paul Is Dead imagery and motifs, the Unknown Cowboy Who Lost His Head just adds to the mystery. Akin to Tom Mix, who got into a car accident and received a fatal head injury via suitcase/briefcase?

unknown cowboy.jpgunknowncowboy2.jpgjann-wag-lap-small-39-of-58.jpg

Liked
    0 times
    The uncropped version with headless cowboy. This appears to be a light fixture blocking view of his head.

Sgt-Pepper-Uncropped.jpg

Liked
    0 times
    As to all that have been found, I'm 100% agreed with the following finds:

Curtis
    Jung
    Temple (images 1 - Bright Eyes and 2 - Heidi)
    Mix
    Weissmuller
    Davis
    Crane
    Crowley
    Wells
    Carrey
    Miller
    Beardsley
    Carroll
    Stockhausen
    Laurel
    Hardy
    Poe
    Brando
    Fields
    Peel
    Thomas
    Wilde
    Joyce
    Loren
    Mastroianni
    Yogananda
    Babiji
    Giri
    Dors
    Vargas (nee Clift)
    Bruce
    Marx
    Rodia
    Mahasaya
    Sutcliffe
    Dion (the Donna the Prima Donna cover)
    Breen
    Bell
    Dietrich
    Hall
    Gorcey
    Monroe
    Handley
    Westermann (the big change)
    Merkin
    Lindner

I'm not sold on the Terry Southern image yet. Have not seen the Burroughs image found, nor the image of Fred Astaire, which looks to be later in his career, maybe even during the time period the cover image was shot. The Bob Dylan image, has it been found?

"Welcome The Rolling Stones Good Guys" according to Cooper came from his son. This is incorrect. It was obtained from a fan contest had by The Rolling Stones a few years earlier. How it came into Cooper's possession is unclear, nor the reason why he claims it came from his son.

"Michael Cooper (1941–1973) was a British photographer who is remembered for his photographs of leading rock musicians of the 1960s and early 1970s, most notably the many photos he took of The Rolling Stones in the mid-1960s.

His best known work is the cover photography for the 1967 LP Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles. The "Welcome the Rolling Stones, Good Guys" sweatshirt worn by the "little girl" figure on the far right of the photo (actually a cloth figure of Shirley Temple) was provided by Cooper's young son Adam."

This is false. Unless someone in the Rolling Stones personally gave it to Cooper's son, and as Jagger was the recipient of this contest winning shirt, it would most likely be him.
    Last edited by DrTomoculus; 28-05-14 at 11:58 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast