Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    I was so pleased to hear that at long last the 1980 movie Breaking Glass was to get a Blu-Ray issue albeit in the states August 16th. Its one of those films I got plugged into viewing a number of times at the flicks way back then and also one of the first video tapes I hired. The old UK DVD issue was short lived here and today is often offered at daft prices, but to have the Blu-Ray will be a treat worth waiting for many. The movie stars Hazel O'Connor, Phil Daniels, Mark Wingett and many other British actors. Brian Gibson directed it all and it will be nice to replace my now vintage VHS tape, although my LP was updated a bit ago with the soundtrack CD.

Amazon.com have the Blu-Ray & new DVD listed now.

Liked
    137 times
    Excellent news and " Will You " is one of my all time favourite songs.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    It's one of those films that on paper sounds as if it was written with me in mind, but which I have never been able to actually sit through. I found it irritatingly fake. But then I haven't seen it (I mean attempted to see it) for over twenty years, so perhaps I should give it another go ...

Liked
    4 times
    There was a good documentary on TV about the making of it at the time and showed what a small setup it was, but everyone seemed to be giving it 100% and the punk scene in London at the time was also another incentive to see it then for me. Give it a go you may like to see all of it? Will be nice to see what else they offer on the Blu-Ray and the original trailer voice over was typically British I seem to remember which today raises a smile.

Liked
    4 times
    Well it’s finally arrived on Blu-Ray and after watching here are my thoughts.

I first viewed this film at the Cinema way back in the early 80’s and a few times at that. The whole punk thing was big at the time so it suited the mood certainly in London just right and was a very popular movie with a strong following. It was around this time we started having Friday night Betamax video watching nights with a group of young mates and one old guy which looking back seems a bit funny now. The Betamax rental copy looked great on a 26” TV then and we pushed the Sony Beta sound through the Hi-Fi setup probably to make sure we could jump up and down to the sound track but spared the bin bags! Latterly VHS issues were made and even a DVD in 2001 which included the hilarious trailer which thankfully some kind soul has posted on youtube for all to marvel at.

For ten years no new off the shelf issue has been readily available in the UK which I understand has been due to copyright issues which has been a great shame for those who love the film. This year has seen the re-issue of Breaking Glass on both DVD and Blu-Ray which is very welcomed, so we sat down to watch the newly delivered Blu-Ray. The transfer from film is good in quality considering it has possibly been laying in cans un-touched for some time. The picture at times does exhibit some fading on the right hand side of the screen but I don’t think it detracts from the whole experience, and to finally see a HD issue was amazing up to the end of the movie. Unbeknown to me and possibly many others the last several minutes of the film were cut in the States and this issue is from that very print, so you don’t get to see the sanatorium sequence and beyond which are pivotal to the end of the film although the live sound track is used to cover part of the end credit sequence. I would be understating my disappointment in saying that I fell off the edge of the settee as I did having watched a great transfer and reliving my cinema experience so long ago only to be thwarted at the end. What a great shame to cut the entire end sequence out and spoil the new issue, but all was not lost as we dug out the old VHS copy and ran the end on that.

So, a bit of a mixed bag this one as on one hand a welcome Blu-Ray but obviously incomplete from the original version when it was shown in the UK. The disc only has the film on it with no trailer so very much a bare bones disc. I would still recommend buying the disc even though it is incomplete, but it might be worth keeping an eye open for the 2001 DVD to see the ending and that wonderful trailer.