Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I recall this from the 1970s - either an opera or ballet production of (probably) Hansel and Gretel, filmed in a rather "Singing Ringing Tree" style - the scene that sticks in my mind was of the witch being pushed into an oven.
    Probably shown on the BBC as a Bank Holiday "special" (and probably with less hoo-ha from the usual quarters than the 2008 Royal Opera House production, broadcast on Christmas Day by the Beeb, which provoked a lot of "ban this perverted filth" stuff in the papers, which is all I can find by googling for it).
    But I can't seem to find an earlier colour TV performance listed that my early memory might be of - it was certainly repeated as I saw it more than once.
    Any ideas?

Liked
    80 times
    The BBC broadcast a production of Humperdinck's opera on BBC2 on Boxing Day 1976. You can see it mentioned if you scroll down the TV listings on this website:

BBC1976 - UK Christmas TV

E.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Euryale - I think that must be it. (I'd have been 4, and the BBC1 alternative, "Carry on at Your Convenience" might well have been deemed too racy)

Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughesarch View Post
    Thanks Euryale - I think that must be it. (I'd have been 4, and the BBC1 alternative, "Carry on at Your Convenience" might well have been deemed too racy)

Well, a repeat of the Hansel and Gretel opera was shown on BBC2 on 23/12/1978, so I'm guessing it was a re-showing of the 1976 production, and you mention seeing it twice.

This is a description of the 1978 showing from the Daily Express:

That makes it sound like The Singing, Ringing Tree!

I hope you finally caught up with Carry on at your Convenience!

E.