Member Country: Great Britain SceneByScene's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Anybody know anything about an old UK TV prog. named ?"Movie Science"?

I am not sure of the title, unfortunately, but it was broadcast c. late-2000s (e.g. 2008ish) on UK TV, in the wee small hours/late-night TV.

I think it might have been part of the Learning Zone programmes.

I can't find any info on such a title at IMDB! :-( And of course I've Googled, too, but to no avail.

I am looking to watch any re-runs of the programme, or more likely get the programme series on DVD (if available, of course!)

It was a great series. It showed the viewer which things that were done in films could actually be done in reality.

(It was a bit like the US programme 'MythBusters' [Discovery Channel: TV Series 2003–], but wasn't that prog!)

Any info, anyone?!
    Last edited by SceneByScene; 04-07-11 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Left out info re similar US programme

Member Country: Great Britain SceneByScene's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    HaHa! I have answered my own question!!

...Having finally found out the answer re the correct title - which it transpires was "Hollywood Science" - at the ever-surprising Wikipedia!: Hollywood Science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It was part of the Open University's 'Learning Zone' segment of TV programmes; but the series must have been rerun in the late-2000s (when I saw it) as it was apparently intitially broadcast (before 'Mythbushers' BTW!) in 2001.

Wiki states:
    "In the show, presenter Robert Llewellyn, with the assistance of scientist Jonathan Hare, look at the science behind a scene in a film. They experiment or perform calculations, to see how the scene would work in real life. The scene is then given an accuracy rating."

The Wiki webapge led to the 'Hollywood Science' - Open University - official website: http://www.open2.net/hollywoodscience/index.html

'Hollywood Science' - Open University - official website.jpg

Robert Llewellyn was just about recognisable in the series - despite his lack of makeup! - as the actor who played Kryten in 'Red Dwarf'.

I have, despite answering my own query!!, left this posting here at the Brit Movie forum, in case anyone finds it who is interested in the programme. HTH!

And of course I am still looking to find out if I can watch it on TV again, or get it on DVD! Any help with that?!

by
    ~ SceneByScene ~
    Last edited by SceneByScene; 04-07-11 at 07:27 PM.