Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McVicar

Member Country: Great Britain HaroldShand's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Being a fan of The Sweeney, and all things 1970's, it was inevitable I would love this film, directed by Sweeney's Tom Clegg.
    It has a superb rock soundtrack too, by Jeff Wayne (War of the Worlds) and The Who.

With a cast list including Daltrey, Faith, Berkoff, Hendry, etc. this is a criminally underrated classic British crime flick.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    I'm a big fan of The Who, Harold.....
    ....and a warm welcome to the forum too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxDI63_-GdY

Cheers
    Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Cracking film!

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Got this on Vhs

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Very enjoyable film. I was a big fan of The Who when I was younger so also loved the soundtrack. One of those films that I saw on TV as a kid (probably heavily cut in those days) and have loved ever since.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I love this film. A great cast and soundtrack.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    For some reason I like this film..??

Aitch,

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Cracking film, love films like this and I'm too a big WHO fan. I only watched this again a few weeks ago with my mate and his wife. When McVicar was escaping with Wally, she was saying I know he's a criminal and in there for a reason but why do I really want him to escape? That scene really gets me on the edge of my seat. Fantastic soundtrack as well.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Streaky...

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder View Post

Aitch,
    Is a great film Aitch, the fact that you were in it with your name up there on the credits must give you great satisfaction....

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder View Post

Aitch,
    Was it the way Cheryl Campbell served breakfast?

Steve

Liked
    51 times
    Had fun on this for two weeks down at Pinewood and Tom Clegg urging me to add-lib all the swear words....

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Was it the way Cheryl Campbell served breakfast?

Steve
    Your memory is playing tricks on you Steve, it was Georgina Hale who cooks breakfast with not much on except her apron.....McVicar has a few days romping with her and hiding out in his mates flat , then he goes home to the loving arms of his partner played by Cheryl....what a love rat

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404 View Post
    Your memory is playing tricks on you Steve, it was Georgina Hale who cooks breakfast with not much on except her apron.....McVicar has a few days romping with her and hiding out in his mates flat , then he goes home to the loving arms of his partner played by Cheryl....what a love rat
    Ah, of course, thanks. It's some years since I've seen it, although I always enjoyed it when I did see it.

Had I dug out a photo no doubt I would have recognised Georgina's sweet cheeks

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK eyeloveTV's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    One of my favourite films. The real John McVicar is actually in it. Great performances from Billy Murray and a wonderful scene stealing cameo from Ian Hendry. One of my favourite lines form the film. Wally (Faith) goes down the escape tunnel to see where it leads. 'Well? ? ? What's down there Wal?' McVicar asks earnestly on his return. Wally pauses for what seems like a life time and then delivers the line dead pan. '................ women's prison John'

eyeloveTV

Liked
    51 times
    Fun film.....

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    A quick hello to everyone ....first post here......this looks a great site
    Re McVicar this is also a fave of mine .....one of those films that is satisfying on every level.
    A seen I particularly like is when they are watching the old Michael Wilding film in the TV room..........especiallly when he bursts into song....."I 'm not going home" I think its called.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I've always felt ambivalent about this picture. I've seen it several times and can't get past the fact that all the characters in it are so repellent, brutal and foul- mouthed. Now given the subject matter that's no surprise but why exactly was the film made? Mcvicar, like all the other criminals is a merciless, vicious thug with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. If it was meant to be about how he was later re-habilitated,why only mention it in a brief caption at the end of the film.

In many respects this was the first film that started the trend of British crime pictures that were ever- so- slightly admiring of the criminals they portrayed. It was naive of the film makers to try and engender some sympathy for the criminals in McVicar by having them show their disgust and hatred at what the child-killer (who I assume was meant to be Ian Brady) had done to his victims, when they read his files. After all they may be violent brutal criminals but at least they hate 'nonces'!

And if the bfilm was trying to say something about the regime they were kept under, lets face it they were all hardened criminals by choice long before they got to prison. I can't see any audience feeling sympathy for these men when they riot over having to wear prison uniform and do the same things as other prisoners as they saw themselves as London criminal royalty.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pelam123 View Post
    why exactly was the film made?
    To make money.

Quote Originally Posted by pelam123 View Post
    It was naive of the film makers to try and engender some sympathy for the criminals in McVicar by having them show their disgust and hatred at what the child-killer (who I assume was meant to be Ian Brady) had done to his victims, when they read his files. After all they may be violent brutal criminals but at least they hate 'nonces'!
    The majority of characters in the film have fictitious names. For example, the character of Cody is based on the notorious Moors Murderer Ian Brady, and his girlfriend, mentioned during the riot scenes (as McVicar and others read the transcription from Cody's trial), is Myra Hindley.

The film's opening prologue states: "The prison escape shown in this film is based on true fact. Certain other events and characters have been fictionalized"

At the end of the film a caption says that McVicar was arrested in 1970. This means that the action in the film took place in the late 1960s before his arrest. However throughout the film, in the street scenes, there are cars from a later date. This is most notable in a scene where the E-type Jag turns right, behind what appears to be a Mark IV Cortina - a late 1970s model.

When McVicar escapes, he is running up the street and he passes the same two-tone Bedford van twice.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Great movie. I've uploaded the clip of Ian Hendry with Billy Murray on the Youtube Channel.

McVicar - Ian Hendry Cameo with Billy Murray

Also, just to let you know of a new website site up on the life and work of Ian Hendry:

Official Website of Ian Hendry

Best

Neil Hendry
    Editor, Official Website of Ian Hendry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast