Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I really enjoyed the first one, it may not have been canonical but it was great fun. This one looks just as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNxhpNpnAkk

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I've just watched 'Sherlock Holmes' for the first time and found it to be rather silly! It seems to purposely ignore or contradict the background of key characters from Conan Doyles original stories but I imagine that it's quite entertaining to the Holmesian novice.I'll watch the sequel just for the sake of it.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad View Post
    I imagine that it's quite entertaining to the Holmesian novice.
    It's very entertaining to the non-novice too ... and I say that as someone who has read all the of 'the canon' several times, read many, many pastiches and has a extensive collection of Holmes films and TV shows including silents, Nazi era German versions (with no English subtitles) and Russian TV versions (with English subtitles). Sure it's silly, but so are some of Doyle's original stories!

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    It's very entertaining to the non-novice too ... and I say that as someone who has read all the of 'the canon' several times, read many, many pastiches and has a extensive collection of Holmes films and TV shows including silents, Nazi era German versions (with no English subtitles) and Russian TV versions (with English subtitles). Sure it's silly, but so are some of Doyle's original stories!
    I agree that some of Conan Doyles stories are rather silly and he tended to repeat himself, I have become more tolerant with artistic licence in Sherlock Holmes related productions but when watching one I insist that the essence of both Holmes and Watson are true to the original characters and I'm afraid that Robert Downey Jnrs portrayal had little resemblance to Holmes! I didn't dislike the film but didn't really see the point in it featuring such well known characters if it didn't intend to adhere to the recognised descriptions? One plus point-I actually enjoyed the CGI 'Tower Bridge under construction'!

Liked
    255 times
    I thought Downey Jr made a decent stab at the part. There were several recognisable Holmesian traits in his performance, although they did tend to get lost within all the action. Also, I thought Law was a pretty decent Watson. Neither of them will ever outshine Brett/Burke/Hardwicke, but within the context of a big budget spectacular they are probably as good as we're going to get.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    I thought Downey Jr made a decent stab at the part. There were several recognisable Holmesian traits in his performance, although they did tend to get lost within all the action. Also, I thought Law was a pretty decent Watson. Neither of them will ever outshine Brett/Burke/Hardwicke, but within the context of a big budget spectacular they are probably as good as we're going to get.
    I'd add Douglas Wilmer/Peter Cushing/Nigel Stock to that list but,yes,Jude Law wasn't bad-his portrayal reminded me of Ian Harts Watson but with the humour which Hart lacked.

Liked
    255 times
    I am not a fan of Nigel Stock's Watson .... a bit too Nigel Bruce-ish to be credible alongside two such superb portrayals of Holmes.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I love Sherlock Holmes adaptations but the Downey one left me cold - I thought he was a grubby generic action hero with no redeeming features. Jude Law as Watson wasn't bad though. I suppose I will eventually watch the sequel but much prefer the BBC modern version which pressed almost all the right buttons (black mark for a silly Moriarty).

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77UdYWDkgVE
    Disappointing lack of Stephen Fry in the trailer. . .
    Last edited by Timmy_Lea; 25-10-11 at 08:45 PM.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    i absolutely hated the 1st movie - i think Downey Jnr comes across as terrible as Depps portrayal of Aberline in, From Hell..................all in all, both were marginally better than Dick Van Dykes Cockney in Mary Poppins

just my opinion though

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    The Guy Ritchie film definitely wins when it comes to Moriarty

He's got a proper Moriarty. Shadowy, bearded, murderous, riding a sleigh in a top hat three times as tall as his head and played by everyone's favourite Mad Men actor. The BBC, meanwhile, has to make do with a shrieking Graham Norton type who apparently kills people by annoying them to death.

Think Steven Moffat must have been busy with Doctor Who when he came round to 'writing' that bit

Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post
    The Guy Ritchie film definitely wins when it comes to Moriarty

He's got a proper Moriarty. Shadowy, bearded, murderous, riding a sleigh in a top hat three times as tall as his head and played by everyone's favourite Mad Men actor. The BBC, meanwhile, has to make do with a shrieking Graham Norton type who apparently kills people by annoying them to death.

Think Steven Moffat must have been busy with Doctor Who when he came round to 'writing' that bit
    True, the Moriarty in the BBC show was awful, a real letdown.

Liked
    255 times
    Game of Shadows also has Noomi Rapace in it, which is fine by me.

Liked
    129 times
    Moriarty!

Liked
    151 times
    They've now hired a writer for a third instalment.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7 View Post
    They've now hired a writer for a third instalment.
    The 'Napoleon of Crime' seems to have a novel tactic to defeat our hero.

Liked
    129 times
    Well if you didn’t like the first one, you won’t like this! It’s basically more of the same, a bit more self indulgent but a fun romp. Jared Harris is excellent as Moriarty, Fry good as Mycroft (naked for some reason at one point) & the plot does its job getting our heroes from one location to the next in between buddy banter & explosions. The final confrontation between Holmes & Moriarty is great, a nice nod to The Final Problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUx2TlLIVg
    Last edited by Timmy_Lea; 19-12-11 at 11:39 PM.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    will be interesting to see this one, quite enjoyed the first one. Bit like the TV series as it gives a slightly different take on it but just watch them for entertainment value

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast