Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched this again for the first time in 20 years, and I'm flabberghasted by it. What a fabulous and original little film! Why is it not more acknowledged? It's utterly unique and so well made! It runs out of steam at the end perhaps but its utterly individual with a tone all of its own and some delightful performances. Anyone else an admirer of it? I wonder how it was recieved at the time...

Member Country: United States Troutbridge's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I love both the Phibes films, as well as Theater of Blood, made about the same time. Though it's been years since I've seen them, I also remember being bowled over by the one you mentioned. It was shown on a weekend on a local station, and they promised to show the sequel the following weekend. I couldn't wait!

Price's late-career British titles are my favorites among his films. (Except maybe for the hammy Tower of London (1939), which I'm not sure why I like.)

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    Golly! I guess there is a lot to be said for individual taste. Although I liked Vincent Price in movies because of his ham acting, if well cast he could turn in a good performance as long as he was properly directed. He was well chosen for a support in Laura (1944) because his effeminate dilettante manner was paired with Clifton Webb to contrast with the shorter though unmistakably masculine Dana Andrews. When he bought the rights to produce the Edgar Allen Poe stories with sumptuous color and then directed himself, I'm afraid he looked awfully like a clown. The same can be said for his British color films such a Witchfinder General and the one you like, The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIdle...eature=related
    Last edited by Heinrich; 13-08-11 at 05:43 AM. Reason: grammar

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
    When he bought the rights to produce the Edgar Allen Poe stories with sumptuous color and then directed himself, I'm afraid he looked awfully like a clown. The same can be said for his British color films such a Witchfinder General and the one you like, The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
    I don't think Vincent Price had anything to do with rights to Poe stories (which would have been out of copyright anyway) or direction of the films, Heinrich. As far as I know, the films were produced by American International and mainly directed by Roger Corman.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
    When he bought the rights to produce the Edgar Allen Poe stories with sumptuous color and then directed himself, I'm afraid he looked awfully like a clown. The same can be said for his British color films such a Witchfinder General and the one you like, The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
    Bless his sweet soul, Vincent Price never directed a film in his life.

I'm afraid you're going to be pretty much on your own with your opinion of Witchfinder. It is considered to be one of the finest horror films ever made in this country, and contains one of Price's most chilling performances.

I adore the Phibes films and all Vincent's later campy movies.

Senior Member Country: England sidney bliss's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times
    It is down to taste Henrich - but Witchfinder General is not only one of my favourite Vincent Price film - it's one of my favourites of all time. As for Dr Phibes, The Abomniable was enjoyable but not so "Rises again".

Liked
    9 times
    Witchfinder is one of those films which was meant to be cheap and exploitative (Z.Arkoff was one of the producers) - but even the producers (particularly Tenser) was blown away at how good it was. Reeves unfortunately died just when he was becoming successful and Price is perfectly cast. There was a really good radio play made last year about the production BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - Saturday Play, Vincent Price and The Horror of The English Blood Beast

The Philbes films are ones I've never managed to catch, but Theatre of Blood is great - very tongue in cheek, camp and gory.

Price was actually a pretty good actor (although his relatively few horror films tended to give the impression of hamminess), and of course he was an art expert (apparently advising Dennis Hopper on his own highly regarded collection), gourmet, etc. I notice his voice is still in demand. In 1985 he voiced the character of 'Vincent VanGhoul' in Scooby Do. In the latest series ' Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated' (its on CBBC and I have kids who enjoy it, so thats my excuse for watching it....) they've revived the character and the voice! He still lives!!!

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Well I love Vincent price, he's always a pleasure to watch. The Corman - Poe films are excellent, as are his early 70's pictures. I watch the Phibes films once a year (did you guys spot who his wife was in the Phibes films...?) and Terry-Thomas is, as always first rate in the film. There was talk at the time of a third film, Phibes Resurectus, but I have no Idea why it fell through as the first two pictures made enough money...

I've just bought Witchfinder on Blu-ray, it's a first rate copy, of an excellent film. I must get around to watching the extras on the disc.

I am quite bias about Vincent as Horror films are my main interest, but if you want a Vincent Price film to hate, with a great cast (Cushing, Lee, Price, Carradine, Richard Todd, Desi Arnaz jnr, and Directed by Pete Walker). Try sitting through The House of long Shadows... If you give it a go, I do Apologise.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A titbit of information on the first Phibes film. The Director Robert Fuest discussing the film at the recent Avengers weekend advised that he could not think of an ending for the film and asked Brian Clemens for his thoughts. Within a couple of days Brian had come up with the operating theatre scene where Joseph Cotten had to retrieve a key from his sons body which would enable him to release his son thereby saving him from an recepticle of acid primed to pour on him within a matter of minutes. Great idea, great film..

Liked
    2 times
    These films are brilliant! I read/heard somewhere that the proposed film was to see Phibes vs. Hitler (so I'm quite glad that never came about if it's the case). Might have misheard that though.

I haven't seen a lot of Price's work, but I did enjoy his performance in the horror spoof/comedy The Comedy of Terrors, where a bad script is saved (just!) from a trio of impeccable performances from Karloff, Lorre and Price. Also, has anyone seen Price in the Kenny Everett film Bloodbath at the House of Death? For me, it's a cult classic, and Price is great in one of his last ever roles.

Liked
    1 times
    I've not seen Bloodbath, but I heartily endorse your comment about The Comedy of Errors. It's a delight from start to finish, one of Price's hidden gems. I showed it to a relative who can't stomach "real" horror films one Halloween and we had a grand time.

Liked
    1 times
    Oops, Comedy of Terrors. It may have good, but it wasn't Shakespeare.