Thread: James Nesbitt

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I too find James Nesbitt's acting lacking. I find him to be very wooden and charisma free. When he first came to our attention as 'Adam' in the Cold Feet pilot he appeared to be a fresh talent with lots to offer. Unfortunately since then, IMHO, he has traded on the cheeky chappie persona in most of his roles. Even his 'serious' roles have simply been variations of 'Adam' .... Murphy's Law was 'Adam' with stubble and a hangover and Jekyll was 'Adam' with a bad case of psychosis. However, many people do seem to enjoy his acting so he must be doing something right.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    I too find James Nesbitt's acting lacking. I find him to be very wooden and charisma free. When he first came to our attention as 'Adam' in the Cold Feet pilot he appeared to be a fresh talent with lots to offer. Unfortunately since then, IMHO, he has traded on the cheeky chappie persona in most of his roles. Even his 'serious' roles have simply been variations of 'Adam' .... Murphy's Law was 'Adam' with stubble and a hangover and Jekyll was 'Adam' with a bad case of psychosis. However, many people do seem to enjoy his acting so he must be doing something right.

I don't mind Nesbitt, certainly not as much as many people here seem to. As he has himself admitted, early seasons of Murphy's Law did fall into the 'twinkly Irish charm but also hard as nails' trap, but from about season four the show took a sharp left turn into much grimmer territory, and he seemed to raise his game to match.

Midnight Man was terrible, though!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Someone else said that the last series of Murphy's Law was far better than the others and that JN was doing some 'proper' acting in it. My local library does a lot of TV titles, if it's out on dvd I may give it a look.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Watch James Nesbitt in Wall of Silence and Bloody Sunday,this is probably his best acting roles so far imo.