Thread: Darling

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Saw my second favourite film last night at the BFI. Appalling print, which actually broke half way through, then threatened to give out again! But this couldn't detract from the sixties glory of it. Seeing London, Trafalgar Square empty of traffic at night, Austin Healys, Swan and Edgar, Fortnums as it used to be, Pierre Cardin boots, et al, was terrific. I believe one of the scenes in Capri was shot at Gracie Fields' hotel, La Canzone del Mare.

Schlesinger did a great job.

Julie Christie has never been better. Some people may think Bogarde miscast, but IMO he hits the right note. I understand Maximillian Schell was wanted first, but possible legal action was threatened by a woman who believed the story was based on her and last minute changes in nationality were required. Who could that have been? A famous American actress who married a Prince possibly? Laurence Harvey is enigmatic - the one flaw for me in the movie is that his character is one dimensional, we never get to understand his back story. Supporting cast all became very well known - almost every speaking part was taken by someone recognisable. In one scene JC attends an audition and we see a very dark haired Sheila Gish in a tiny role. All the performances are first class. Tyler Butterworth (son of Peter) was a very good child actor, I hadn't realised. And even good old Vernon Dobtcheff as well.

Disappointing that the BFI couldn't do a better job with restoring the print, but still - seeing it on the big screen was a very enjoyable experience. I noticed so much more detail, such as the contents of Robert and Diana's food cupboard - Scotts Porridge Oats! Get a life Windyridge....

Anyone else love this film?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Windyridge-I was born in the early fifties and so my teenage years were those 10 years later. when we see so much ripped down now, "Darling" and other sixties titles are proof that in those years we really existed!

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windyridge View Post
    Saw my second favourite film last night at the BFI. Appalling print, which actually broke half way through, then threatened to give out again! ......
    Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear it about the print. It's a shame Darling was only screened twice.

I thought Bogarde brought perfect nuance to the role. He managed to layer cold anger over deep melancholy at the lost love he still felt for the worthless Diana. Excellent cast and a film that really did capture a particular slice of life back then.

Best,

Barbara

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    I was born in 1949 so the sixties where my teenage years. I just love the film, and all those memories it evokes in me. Dirk was perfect for the role of Robert Gold, scholar, turned news presenter. He had the right amount of quite authority for the part. Whoever thought a German movie star{Maximillian Schell} could have played an Englishman, must have been mad. Thank God reason prevailed. Everyone in this film fitted like jigsaw pieces in a puzzle. I wish I could have been there to see it, awful print and all. Maybe another time if it ever comes again.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I love 'Darling'. It's an almost perfect film - funny, satirical, raunchy, heartbreaking, and of course very reminiscent of the 'Swinging 60s'. Plus it is probably Julie Christie's best screen role and it also contains excellent work from Dirk Bogarde and Laurence Harvey.

A pity to hear that the print shown at the BFI was poor. Surely this film has had the benefit of full restoration by now?

Senior Member Country: UK Onedin's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Cut into quite a few parts, but hey ho................Here is 'Darling' in its entirety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qitp2...A9FD75DA8CAA65

Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedin View Post
    Cut into quite a few parts, but hey ho................Here is 'Darling' in its entirety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qitp22O6Cdo&playnext=1&list=PL49A9FD75DA8C AA65

You're just the greatest for sharing this, Nath!

Barbara

Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windyridge View Post
    .....Some people may think Bogarde miscast, but IMO he hits the right note. I understand Maximillian Schell was wanted first, but possible legal action was threatened by a woman who believed the story was based on her and last minute changes in nationality were required. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    ....Dirk was perfect for the role of Robert Gold, scholar, turned news presenter. He had the right amount of quite authority for the part. Whoever thought a German movie star{Maximillian Schell} could have played an Englishman, must have been mad. Thank God reason prevailed....

It's true that Max Schell was originally favoured for the role, according to the spate of letters (in the BFI Library) between those in control of the film indicate. At that point, Robert Gold was not an Englishman in the story.

But as you note, Windyridge, the possibility of misguided 'legal action' nixed it. The nationality of Robert was changed mainly for funding purposes, but approaches to American actors weren't fruitful, so no funding from the Yanks. Enter Dirk and British funding. So the role could have gone to Max, a fine actor but resulting in a quasi-different story, or to one of the American actors had they accepted.

In the end, Dirk was perfect as Robert Gold.

Barbara

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I read that Gregory Peck was original casting for Robert and that the script was written with him in mind.

The whole film is now on youtube without cuts. I don't know how it's allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTS7XfarpYY

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    The recent Optimum DVD was apparently a good copy and, for the first time in 45 years, restored the 1m of BBFC cuts made to the scene in which Christie watches a couple have sex at a "party".

Senior Member Country: UK Maureen Whittaker's Avatar
    Liked
    278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingingLondon View Post
    I read that Gregory Peck was original casting for Robert and that the script was written with him in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTS7XfarpYY
    Thank you SwingLondon for the alert to this. Have just watched it and it prompted me to try to find a longer version of the film. I sent for a video copy and found only the cut version of 122 minutes that I already own two copies of in the Julie Christie box set and the Dailly Mail freebee. The Region 1 version reads 128 minutes and the Optimum Releasing 129 minutes so have sent for the latter. But a minefield, nevertheless. And this will mean I now have 3 copies. Will my bank balance survive the strain. I am missing Barbara with her excellent Knowledge and advice.

41WZX4S0M9L._SS500_.jpg51B038633ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg51sPe6eo8YL.jpg411-Z2PoK0L.jpg

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    The one I have "Studio Classics" is only 112 mins long!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen Whittaker View Post
    Thank you SwingLondon for the alert to this. Have just watched it and it prompted me to try to find a longer version of the film. I sent for a video copy and found only the cut version of 122 minutes that I already own two copies of in the Julie Christie box set and the Dailly Mail freebee. The Region 1 version reads 128 minutes and the Optimum Releasing 129 minutes so have sent for the latter. But a minefield, nevertheless. And this will mean I now have 3 copies. Will my bank balance survive the strain. I am missing Barbara with her excellent Knowledge and advice.
    128 minutes is the theatrical running time. Because of the different frame rates between projected film (24 frames per second) and that on TV (25 frames per second) a film shown on TV (or recorded onto video/DVD/LD etc.) will have a slightly shorter running time to that shown in most sources for the film as the TV version is being shown a fraction faster. To check, take the running time given for the cinematic release, multiply by 24 & divide by 25. If that's not the same as the running time on TV (to within a minute or two) then there have probably been cuts made.

The expected running time for this film when shown on TV is 122.88 minutes

Most distributors & retailers don't really know or check the running times. They just copy them from a source like the IMDb. Don't go by the running time on the box or in the retailer's ads. If you want to know the running time of a film, run it and time it.

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingingLondon View Post
    It isn't, officially. If anyone points out to YouTube that it is breaking the copyright then they'll remove it. But they don't check the vast majority of things that people upload there

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    The one I have "Studio Classics" is only 112 mins long!!
    It looks like that one has about 10 minutes missing

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Maureen Whittaker's Avatar
    Liked
    278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    128 minutes is the theatrical running time. Because of the different frame rates between projected film (24 frames per second) and that on TV (25 frames per second) a film shown on TV (or recorded onto video/DVD/LD etc.) will have a slightly shorter running time to that shown in most sources for the film as the TV version is being shown a fraction faster. To check, take the running time given for the cinematic release, multiply by 24 & divide by 25. If that's not the same as the running time on TV (to within a minute or two) then there have probably been cuts made.

The expected running time for this film when shown on TV is 122.88 minutes

Most distributors & retailers don't really know or check the running times. They just copy them from a source like the IMDb. Don't go by the running time on the box or in the retailer's ads. If you want to know the running time of a film, run it and time it.

Steve
    Thank you Steve for the information which shows this was a fruitless search after all. The Optimum Releasing copy has just arrived with a running time of minutes on the box, although the details on Amazon are clearly marked as 129 minutes which just illustrates your comments. Now my decision is whether to keep it or return it.
    Thanks again for the technical details.