Notting Hill Travel Bookshop closes down
    Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Hugh Grant's workplace is to close down. Situated on the Portobello Road it has been there for 32 years. From today all books 50% off rp.

Notting Hill’s infamous The Travel Bookshop holds closing down sale – Now. Here. This. – Time Out London

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    The bookshop in the film was I think a set and and the exterior/interior was at 142 Portobello Road which was never a bookshop but is currently a furniture shop. The Travel Bookshop on which Hugh Grant's shop was based is on Blenheim Crescent which is in the Notting Hill area.....not on Portobello Road itself though but Im sure the owner of the real shop was happy to tell customers it was used in the film.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Hugh Grant's workplace is to close down. Situated on the Portobello Road it has been there for 32 years. From today all books 50% off rp.

Notting Hill’s infamous The Travel Bookshop holds closing down sale – Now. Here. This. – Time Out London
    Not a classic anecdote, is it?

Liked
    243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianTurner View Post
    Not a classic anecdote, is it?
    I can't see the point you're trying to make, it's a piece of information placed in film location, it isn't an anecdote.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times

Anything unsold goes for Kindling presumably............ Let's hope the Carnival gives it a good send-off

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I can't see the point you're trying to make, it's a piece of information placed in film location, it isn't an anecdote.
    Except that it wasn't a location used in the film. The bookshop in the film may have been loosely based on that bookshop, or on a thousand other bookshops. But they've been claiming to be the bookshop where Hugh Grant met Julia Roberts for many years now and it's probably that claim that has kept them going for so long.

They weren't even a shop selling just travel books, they would often sell other bestsellers (not that I blame them, they had to pay the rent)

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    It's a quote from the film when they talk about the shop and who has shopped in it . . . I thought I was being ever so slightly witty.

Liked
    243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianTurner View Post
    It's a quote from the film when they talk about the shop and who has shopped in it . . . I thought I was being ever so slightly witty.
    Oh bugger!

sorry Adrian, I'm a bit slow these days, mind you, with Notting Hill I did sometimes fast forward to the press conference, Julie Robert's smile and She.

Regards

Paul