Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    You should try "The Great Ziegfield".
    Fabulous turns from legends William Powell, Frank Morgan, Myrna Loy and Louise Raynor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0VX3duGCmc

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Another TV series would be House of Elliot - specifically about the growth of a fashion house in the 1920s.

And The Ghoul (1975), if you want to see bright young things getting slaughtered by a maniac.
    Last edited by Rowdon; 03-09-11 at 09:56 PM.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    Another TV series would be House of Elliot - specifically about the growth of a fashion house in the 1920s.And The Ghoul (1975), if you want to see bright young things getting slaughtered by a maniac.
    And on both themes 'The Grand' and 'Ghost Story' (the 1974 Stephen Weeks one that everyone hates rather than the american 1981 version of the Peter Straub novel!)

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    There are some 1930s British films that might qualify - Smash and Grab has Jack Buchanan as a crime-fighting millionaire who'd rather play with his trainset and This Man is News has Valerie Hobson and Barry K Barnes as England's answer to Nick and Nora Charles.

For more screwbal comedy, see Screwball comedy film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (most are available on dvd). Anything with Cary Grant would probably appeal.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    10 times
    Thanks for those, that little lot should keep me going for a while. I'll try my luck with those screwball comedies too Captain.

'The Grand'
    I take it that's the TV series from the late nineties starring Tim Healy? I punched 'The Grand' into Amazon and Kevin McCloud's Grand Designs topped the search results who on earth would buy such drivel?

Poppy.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    The beginning of `The Ghoul` is quite flapperish and contiunes onto a good story. I can`t find the very beginning on you tube, but if you aren`t familair with it, here`s another clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ikp_0RxXc

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Opps sorry, I didn`t realise the Ghoul has already been mentioned. How about this episode of `Crooked house`, and what makes it wonderful is that is stars Jean Marsh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRX9RthtsbI&feature=related

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I'd like to add Day of the Locust and The Wild Party, if I may. Both 70s films about Hollywood golden age decadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxnt4eWv9tk

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    "Three Smart Girls" and "One Hundred Men and a Girl" are both great for the glamor, fashions, and art. That second one is a must-see for all Leopold Stokowski fans, too.

Liked
    10 times
    Thanks for the clip Faginsgirl, I ordered my copy today. You're all giving me so much, there are some really promising suggestions here, thanks.

Poppy.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy-Hopkins View Post
    I have this series, only I haven't had the time to watch past the first episode yet (the mannequin plot with Dennis Waterman) but having read a brief synopsis online, Poor Butterfly sounds a great recommendation.

Yes, it's very hard to top Poirot really for visual aesthetics and it does have it's fair share of hifalutin chaps and ladies floating around in it come to think of it, good pick.

I'll be sure to give those two a watch.

Poppy.

I think you have to watch the JTTU series late at night for best effect.

I saw Poor Butterfly a long time ago and at the time thought it was one of the weaker ones (not scary enough for me at the time) but thinking as the years have past, realised it was a lot deeper than I originally thought.

Liked
    10 times
    I think you have to watch the JTTU series late at night for best effect.
    I've one of those inexpensive digital projectors set up and a modest 72" projection screen. I show obscure films and rare TV gems at the weekend to friends and family on it. I can't call it the complete cinematic experience, but it's cinema the way I like it: warm, cosy, intimate and personal. Don't you worry, Poor Butterfly will be watched in complete darkness at the highest resolution allowable. Thanks again.

Poppy.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    On BBC iplayer until Wednesday 28th Sept.

Reel History of Britain
    5. The Roaring Twenties

At Cliveden House in Berkshire, Melvyn looks back to the Roaring Twenties to discover how the other half lived, when a group of bright young people created Britain's first modern cult of celebrity. The tragic story of Britain's original 'it girl', Elizabeth Ponsonby, is told by her niece Elizabeth. The current Lord Astor returns to his ancestral home to give a guided tour. And Martin Blaber explains what life was like below stairs for Cliveden's renowned head butler, his uncle, Edwin Lee.

BBC iPlayer - Reel History of Britain: The Roaring Twenties

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    The TV show Poirot features many art-deco houses, interior designs and fashions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12