Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Set for the Blu Ray treatment at the beginning of the year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kind-Hearts-.../dp/B003PHJLQ4

Has anyone seen The Ladykillers BD and can comment on the quality?

I have read about the aspect ratio being 4:3 when it was thought to be 1.66:1.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    And now put back until 5th September 2011.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Different set of goodies from the Criterion edition - damn, looks like it's essential to own both

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    I looked at the Amazon page with Google Chrome and it gives the price as �8.30. I then looked with Internet Explorer and it gives the price as �12.93, I wonder which is correct?

Edit: The one for �8.30 is the standard definition version, sorry my mistake.
    Last edited by RogerThornhill; 06-09-11 at 05:37 PM.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    I got this dvd - as i'm a fan of the film and was looking forward to the audio commentary on it - which i was hoping would give me lots of interesting information on the making of the film and the stars in it. But instead the commentary consists of two men giggling while they watch the film and occasionally telling you what you can see happening anyway! Alec Guinness's son is also sat with them - but unfortunately hardly speaks all the way through/and is hardly asked anything of interest by the others.

There is also an introduction by US film director John Landis. He is usually good fun and full of enthusiasm for films he loves; but here is reduced to just telling you parts of the plot of the film - which we know already!!

The picture has been remastered, and does look an improvement on previous releases.
    But overall i was very disappointed by this 'special edition' dvd! It seems a good opportunity has been wasted; a film historian from the BFI or an Ealing expert (along the lines of the excellent Marcus Hearn on some Hammer Film dvd's) could have given us 100 minutes of interesting and absorbing information on a commentary track.
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 09-09-11 at 07:58 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    That's a shame. What is the Dennis Price item like?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markrgv View Post
    The picture has been remastered, and does look an improvement on previous releases.
    But overall i was very disappointed by this 'special edition' dvd! It seems a good opportunity has been waisted; a film historian from the BFI or an Ealing expert (along the lines of the excellent Marcus Hearn on some Hammer Film dvd's) could have given us 100 minutes of interesting and absorbing information on a commentary track.
    Calling a release a "special edition" is always just marketing hype. It doesn't mean anything by itself. The edition might be something special or it might not be.

Criterion have sometimes made an initial release of a film and then followed that up with another release which has a "special edition" sticker on it.
    I once bought both of these and couldn't see any difference between them. So I asked someone at Criterion who I know quite well and they admitted that the "special edition" is only considered special - because it's got a "special edition" sticker on the box

Steve

Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    That's a shame. What is the Dennis Price item like?
    It's taken from an old show from about 30 years ago called "Those British Faces". All you get is clips from Dennis Price films for 20 minutes - no insight or biography!

Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Calling a release a "special edition" is always just marketing hype. It doesn't mean anything by itself. The edition might be something special or it might not be.
    Yes, they're often just a marketing con. But this one is annoying as they've taken the trouble to do a commentary track - but sadly with the wrong people!