Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I agree with Zettel that George was no saint, that`s because NONE of us are. It`s just that his life was in the public eye when most people`s aren`t.

Like I said, George was definately a contradiction. My own spirituality tells me that we are here to learn about, and live in, the material world and all that goes with it, so judging and blaming others is often unecessary, on the opposite side of the coin, adoration of other people is often unecessary too. But I know George in his album/CD sales donated/donates a lot to kids with learning difficulties, so I would never download his stuff, I always buy from the shops where it states on the CD
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 08-10-11 at 05:06 PM.

Senior Member Country: England zettel45's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy_Lea View Post
    No way, George Harrison has released the best solo stuff. Hopefully this doc will elevate his position to greatest ever Beetle!
    To be fair, George was at his best in the late-60s/early-70s and the break-up of the Beatles allowed him to release some great songs Lennon/McCartney had rejected (eg, All Things Must Pass). Also, the very best Beatles albums tend to have a couple of great Harrison songs on them (eg, Revolver, The White Album, Abbey Road). Part of the reason why Sgt Pepper isn't as good as the hype is that George could only be bothered to produce one (not very good) song for it.

Having said that, he never really came close to recording a great solo album. Lennon managed one ("John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band") and McCartney managed two ("Venus and Mars" and "Band on the Run"). Harrison's solo stuff has the occasional great track (eg, "What is Life?") but is mostly forgettable.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    The Beatles were fascinating, not just because they wrote the rule book which modern music still uses as its template, but because they remained, at least in part, so extraordinarily normal, despite the global scale mania and insanity which swirled around them. Having concertinaed more leaps and bounds via ground breaking, trend setting, boundary stretching, genre shattering progress into their brief but kaleidoscopic career together than any other rock or pop artists before or since them, they went their separate ways before any of the four had even reached their thirties. Astounding. And whilst everyone - including our Timmy - is obviously entitled to dislike them (as he says, all opinions are valid: some people don't like sunshine, money, football, chocolate, films etc) such folk are almost bound to feel an underlying bitterness towards the fab four. Annoyed as they are by the perpetual praise which is still - and will long continue to be - heaped upon The Beatles almost by default, it must be awful to learn that you are one of those unfortunate people who have missed the bus and have failed to "get" The Beatles and their life enhancing, joyous, appealing brilliance.

However, onto the film. As a fan I can hardly wait to see it. The lives of John (a damaged, traumatised child who nevertheless strove all his life to admit to, make up for and correct his failings and shortcomings and who gave us at least three outstanding solo albums) and Paul (unfairly lambasted along with Ringo for being the more hammy/showbiz half of the group but who has given us several brilliant post-Beatle albums) are well documented already. George in some ways remains the most guarded, private, complex and therefore most intriguing Beatle. At something like three and a half hours the film will prove a long haul for non-fans, especially since more than half of it is devoted to Harrison's life after being one quarter of the greatest show on earth. I do hope it doesn't get over preachy and bogged down with George's occasionally saturnine philosophising, but if kept in balance by his wonderfully mordant sense of humour and sublime musicianship then it promises to be a treat.

Oh and by the way... even a cursory listen to "She Said She Said" or "Rain" should be enough to enlighten anyone with ears that work properly: Ringo was hugely underrated.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zettel45 View Post
    Wrong on almost every count. In the first half of the 70s Macca (with Wings) released some great stuff. Band on the Run is still easily the best solo album by an ex-Beatle. Ringo's influence on the Beatles is well documented - they just wouldn't have been as good without him (true, his solo stuff is awful but he narrated Thomas the Tank Engine so it's a score-draw). Lennon had some pretty major faults but some pretty major plus-points too. He was a troubled, ambiguous man - anyway, don't tell me you buy into all this "he's supposed to be a role model" crap? And George was by no means the saint he's sometimes made out to be. He had a spiritual side, but he was also confused - this is the guy who wrote a song disparaging the materialism of the modern world AND a song complaining about the taxes he had to pay, both on the same album! Make your mind up, George!

But none of that really matters, because the Beatles produced a skip-load of great music. Or are you so blinkered that you only like stuff based on the ideology of its authors?
    Stop engaging with Timmy Lea on this point. He's joking, obviously. I mean, he probably doesn't like the Beatles, but he's not actually looking for a discussion! ALL references to the Beatles need at least one person saying "They were rubbish." otherwise it becomes tiring. As for whether Harrison was the best Beetle, I don't know. certainly the thinnest.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I think a lot of George's better output after "All Things Must Pass"(which was an album waiting to happen) came over in the "Dark Horse" years?

I will always remember corresponding with him during the 70s and then spending a lovely morning with him and Olivia at Friar Park. A particularly warm man who loved nothing better than to talk about fast cars (as you can imagine, we did a lot of that!) and his garden which was his real passion in life?

His record collection was, in the main, Indian, Classical and blues.

A memorable morning

I'll look forward to this release

RIP my (brief) friend and thank you for all that you left behind, including your beautiful, and only, son Dhani. May your God bless and keep you xx

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman View Post
    I think a lot of George's better output after "All Things Must Pass"(which was an album waiting to happen) came over in the "Dark Horse" years?

I will always remember corresponding with him during the 70s and then spending a lovely morning with him and Olivia at Friar Park. A particularly warm man who loved nothing better than to talk about fast cars (as you can imagine, we did a lot of that!) and his garden which was his real passion in life?

His record collection was, in the main, Indian, Classical and blues.

A memorable morning

I'll look forward to this release

RIP my (brief) friend and thank you for all that you left behind, including your beautiful, and only, son Dhani. May your God bless and keep you xx
    Thank you for a most fascinating post Chevyman.... The DVD is released tomorrow (although mine arrived Friday because I pre-ordered it)
    I remember watching "Concert for George" and being aware that Dhani is the spitting image of his Dad....
    Cheers
    Sgt S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12